--My attempts at making Fire Pistons well and truly happy--

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve007

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2010
nottingham
Ive always wanted to have ago at these and one day i was a tad bored and thought id give it ago to say im happy is a understatement :D i made some char cloth to test them and they fire up every time ive another one im tinkering with but for now ive made 3
the left one as a compartment in the top to store char cloth and lube
the middle one is just a standard piston the right is a smaller pocket size version

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff134/stevetheslayer/fire piston/photo1.jpg

steve007

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2010
nottingham
i did engineering for a few years when i left school the hardest part was getting the right compression that took some time and messing around with different o rings

steve007

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2010
nottingham
i dont mind doing a swap or something which one do you like
i like the one on the right as you turn the piston rod around and it slides in to make it compact im thinking of putting screw thread on the end and make a cap so it can store tinder and lube

N

Nomad

Nicely done. How tight is the seal, and what did you use for lube? Does it need a push to get the piston to slide into the cylinder, or will it slide down under its own weight? I made one ages ago, but I suspect it's too tight - bounces on the air suspension.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Like them all they look realy well made you thought about making one with a cap in bottom of the tube for char cloth and one in piston for lube

steve007

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2010
nottingham
yep that was my 4th design with 2 caps 1 top one bottom but i didnt want to make to to long thats why i did the compact version
the first one on the left can already hold char cloth also lube
The lube is in the screw cap and the char cloth is in the piston part

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE