• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fingertrouble

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2021
London, UK
Hi - I hope this is in the right area - didn't seem to fit photography and it's more traditional craft - watercolour and drawing with very old vintage (and some new) fountain pens! Didn't do any quill work on this trip...but I like to keep my art process old-fashioned ;-)

I'm an artist and I have been blogging about my journey as an artist since 2018; when I restarted (I did art school and all that). I also restarted camping in August after a LONG gap - I used to walk the Highlands and Scotland, take photos. This time was different I wanted to take my art 'on the road' - but backpacking, no cars, no motorbikes (I can't drive anyway), just walking, public transport.

The idea was to be sustainable and green, and check out how possible it was, and basically a shakedown cruise for further (wilder) trips. I had a bad lockdown and needed to get away, I hadn't painted or drawn the sea since I was a teenager so I wanted to see how I'd handle it now.

The practical side was to ease myself into it; I'd scared myself before in Scotland trying to go wild camping - or any camping with clouds of midges that weren't supposed to be in season - just make it impossible to camp (well impossible with the gear I had, I luckily did have midge nets but cooking was impossible, so stayed in hostels for that trip - put me off camping for a LONG time!)

Hence why it was the Jurassic Coast, Weymouth to Swanage in parts - wild but not that wild if it went wrong.... I've posted four parts so far about the trip - from making the artwork, the locals, the impact that tourism is having on the UNESCO site and area (I walked there 10-15 years ago). It made me realise how heavy my existing kit was, how I needed to carry more water that my daytrips currently, that I needed to take plastic bags, clips and cooking stuff (I avoided that this time but my bank balance is groaning from the meals and takeaway so I have to economise into carrying food, etc.

I will post each bit below - I have at least 2 more to add anyway so there will be updates!

Jurassic Jaunt Part 1- White Horses, Parachutes, Amazing Pebbles & Kites

Starting the opposite of what I planned because of transport chaos from South West Railways - I had planned to go Swanage - Weymouth, so an easy start with Eweleaze Farm, Bowleaze Cove, Osmington, White Horses and pebble balancing, waves and kites.

Last edited:

fingertrouble

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2021
London, UK

2021-Jurassic-Coast-Weymouth-to-Swanage-Mupe-Bay-Watercolour-1-Pano.jpg

Jurassic Jaunt Part 4: Mupe Bay & Great Fossils of Rock

Operation Mupe, Rob Halford’s Straight Double, some other fossils of rock, bunkers and lions.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Great stuff. I admire anyone that can paint at the scene. I'm happy to sketch but have never managed to be satisfied with anything I've painted 'in the wild'.

I know the area quite well and those paintings really capture the 'feel' of the area for me :)

Reactions: fingertrouble

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE