My Alice Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've had this old Alice pack for years, and mostly used it for fishing. More recently I've got it out from retirement and started to modify it a bit...(there are loads of Alice mods on the US forums). First mod was to swap the metal buckles for plastic fastex type clips on the top flap and pockets.. Access is now easy and quick.
Second mod was to improve the carry of the pack. The old LC1 straps and kidney pad were very uncomfortable and hard... Made the pack sit on your shoulders and as its big and heavy this was not a viable carry system. So I ordered a set of Molle straps and kidney pad from the US and fitted them. Boy what a difference. Bigger, better padding, sternum strap etc, have now made the pack very comfy to carry even with 15kg of load.
I like some of the army bergens but good ones are over £100. Karrimors Sabres for instance are even more money. So for 10 Euros of clips, and 35$ of straps I have transformed my old Alice into an excellent backpack, that I sure couldcarry for a good distance. It also a pack reputed as virtually indestructable.
Cheers
Gareth

garethw

Settler
Any chance of some photos

Here you go:
alice04.jpg

New straps and belt

alice02.jpg

Close up of the new belt

alice03.jpg

The new straps

alice01.jpg

the plastic snap buckles.

cheers
Gareth

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've been messing around with the ALICE/MOLLE hybrid pack since I first saw it on this and other forums. After using a large pack without a MSS carrier, I've finally gone for the medium with the carrier. Mostly beacause it is less voluminous and doesn't bulge out from your back as the large pack does.

Front view of the finished pack.

Newalice01.jpg

A side view with frame and sleep system carrier in place.

Newalice02.jpg

The DEI 1606AC frame makes a big difference, lighter, flexible and fits the MOLLE stuff better.

Newalice003.jpg

I hook up the shoulder straps just like on the Aluminium frame, using only the lower set around the frame, and tucking the upper straps in behind. With the loads lifters, and central webbing, they are very solidly attached.

Newalice03.jpg

I added a webbing loop to make a handle on the top... an essential addition for me.

Newalice04.jpg

Here you see the MSS carrier cinched up to the pack. There is absolutely no bounce when fitted like this.

Newalice05.jpg

I copied the way the MOLLE ll pack has its fastex buckles fitted. I can thread these through the first set of loops on the front of the MSS carrier to cinch it to the main pack.

Newalice06.jpg

The MSS carrier is fitted with 4 toggles to attach to the MOLLE frame. As the DEI frame is shorter I used just the top set to attach it to the 1606 frame. Like this is is held firmly to the frame, and doesn't come undone when you loosen the straps. The webbing straps ( you can se one on the right of the image), go around and under to compress the carrier when its full.

Newalice07.jpg

So there you go. After several attempts with different configurations I've got the pack modified how I want it. It carries well, has enough space for all my gear, and has a retro look that I like. I was never a big fan of the way the original Alice carried, but this is a totally different beast.

cheers
Gareth

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Interesting...did you sew on the plastic clips on yourself. I only ask because I have a twenty+ year old Alice pack and it could do with a bit of a repair. Do you have any links to the site where you got your items from.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Interesting...did you sew on the plastic clips on yourself. I only ask because I have a twenty+ year old Alice pack and it could do with a bit of a repair. Do you have any links to the site where you got your items from.

You can get repair clips from Ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-1-USMC-C...035?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfb54206b

if you hunt around they also come in ACU green..

you need to 25mm ones as the webbing on an Alice is about 1" wide.

you can cut off the steel buckles on the pouches and the lid closure and replace them with the repair buckles without any sewing needed.

If you google MALICE pack you will find out all you ever needed to know on the Alice MOLLE conversion..

HTH

John

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just a small point, there is a clear benefit to replacing the main strap buckles with the fastex repair buckles, but you dont really gain anything from replacing the pouch buckles as well. In fact you just add weight. The double poppers are quick release and work fine as is.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Just a small point, there is a clear benefit to replacing the main strap buckles with the fastex repair buckles, but you dont really gain anything from replacing the pouch buckles as well. In fact you just add weight. The double poppers are quick release and work fine as is.

I disagree...

ALICE's Come with 2 types of Friction buckle and also different nylon webbing has been used for the pouch tensioners over the course of production by different contractors. I guess this is an outcome of the fact that different folk have made them to Mil spec for the US Government.. I dont think there is any rhyme or reason to whats used or fitted as I guess both buckles and the different webbing meets the spec..

If you get one with the 'Ladder' style tensioners and a very open weave type of webbing its nigh on impossible to pull the pouch closed there is just too much fricton... A fastex buckle sorts that out... plus if your fingers are cold the poppers can be a PITA to close especially if they are full of mud.. Not so a 25mm fastex...

Plus it looks Ally...Which is half the battle....

Just my opinion and your mileage may vary....

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Gareth, do you rate the DEI frame? Is it worth it? It looks slick and probably a better match for the Molle ALICE hybrid than the stock ALICE frame, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE