My 1st Spoon!! :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
it's going to be a valentine's day present for Mrs 3bears, but it's the 1st one I've ever made :) it started life a block of scrap pine that was part of a door frame that I'd swiped from my mum's house last time I'd popped over ;)

roughing out...

2011-01-18160047.jpg

I've used a tea spoon as a template...

2011-01-18185106.jpg

starting to take shape...

2011-01-18191814.jpg

hollowing the bowl :D

2011-01-18194507.jpg

the final 'rough out' needs decorating and sanding before it's oiled, but that's a job for tomorrow!

all I've used is a Mora clipper, and a cheapo set of wood chisels I'd bought at a local iron mongers :)

2011-01-18224347.jpg

2011-01-18225146-1.jpg

and the associated ' accident' think I'll leave it for the night now chaps, before I loose a finger lol yes that's duct take keeping the plaster in place.....

2011-01-18230720.jpg

Last edited:

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thats nice work there, made my first one just after Christmas but yours looks a lot better then mine did.
Theres a thread somewhere on here saying that before you do your final sand put it in water first so you get a better finish.

What oil are you going to use ?

Last edited:

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
great work so far mate! i started my first spoon today and am half way through. Just needs a sand then an oiling to complete...will post pics when done.

Keep up the good work!

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
If you want a silky smooth durable finish, use wet & dry instead of sand paper. Use the paper wet with what ever oil you are going to finish the spoon with. The wet & dry produces a very fine dust which when mixed with the oil fills the pores in the timber you are using, the oil then drys locking the oil and dust filler in place and giving you a super silky smooth finish ready to take more oil as and when you want to recoat.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that's superb for a first effort mate, i tell people all the time that they should be looking for the spoon that's hidden within the wood that they're working with and your spoon is a perfect example of that, a lot of people would've looked at that knotty bit and discarded the whole spoon, you used it to your advantage and made something beautiful. top work dude.

awesome work on the first aid too, duck tape (duct, gaffa, whatever; mine has little pictures of ducks on it, so it's duck tape) is the most underated bit of first aid kit around, a roll of duck tape and some gauze and you deal with just about anything.

stuart

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Nice spoon , my wife likes it as well (she has this thing for hearts on spoons) .
Get it as smooth as you can while carving so there's less sanding .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE