My 1st spoon atempt...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

TimB

Just thought I would pop a picture of my 1st spoon..
In comparison to some of the 1st spoons on here it looks a tad basic.. and it is ;)

image-upload-2-767223.jpg

It's silver birch, and carved in a ummm... stiring spoon design ;)
I just need to oil it now...

T

TimB

Thanks, I'll keep carving away!
Things got so much easier when I got a hook knife.. the 1st itteration of it was using my SOG knife and Axe, it was much chunkier..

There is a slight problem with it as the central core of the trunk runs through the spoon, so there was a hole in the bowl part, I enden up adding a plug to fill it , then sanded back as best I could...

Time to get out and find some more wood :O)

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
TimB said:
Thanks, I'll keep carving away!
Things got so much easier when I got a hook knife.. the 1st itteration of it was using my SOG knife and Axe, it was much chunkier..

There is a slight problem with it as the central core of the trunk runs through the spoon, so there was a hole in the bowl part, I enden up adding a plug to fill it , then sanded back as best I could...

Time to get out and find some more wood :O)

I found some wood that was still standing but had beeen cooked in a fire, it was still green ish but lots of the moisture was already out of it, and worked really well (except that it had some smoke staining when I oiled it). Which hook knike did you go for? I have a frost and I rate it, although the blade is a tad long for the smaller spoon.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks good, my first spoon looked like a seal bashing club :rolleyes: come to think of it my last wasnt much better..........

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
Hi Tim
i have just made a hook knife to make my first spoon. hope mine turns as good as yours. i notice you are from thatcham i used to live in newbury and went to shaw house school. :beerchug:

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Good start Tim, well done.

I've got a couple that came out rather long and narrow - I think I never quite appreciate just how wide the bit of wood needs to be before I start, so I end up making it a bit longer to compensate for what would be a small bowl!

I've also got the frosts from Axminster, a good knife and pretty good value I'd say.

My latest work-in-progress is a large serving spoon/ladle, but it's started got a split in the end so I'm not sure if I can make it big enough to be worthwhile!

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
spoon_0051.jpg

These are my rules for myself, they do work for me and might for you.

The bowl of the spoon needs to be at least as wide as the crook knife at its widest point (what I call its bite) plus at least 3-5 mm for the bowl walls. The wider the bowl and the shallower the angles at front and back the easier the carve.

The length of the bowl should be at least 11/2 times the bite.

remember to use the grain of the wood, it will change as you cut through the inside of the bowl, feel how cleanly the wood comes out. If it feels difficult try a different angle of cut rather than more pressure.

No matter how big the knifes bite is, only let it nibble, little by little and be patient big bites mean split sides or fingers.

Take your time and don't quit too soon, you can always try again

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
panopticon said:
That is thee monster of all spoons, looks like a soup bowl with a handle!

Nice one, i'm tempted to try this myself =)

It is deceptive, and slightly smaller than a standard tea spoon but deep enough to use for soup, holds 11/2 teaspoons of sugar when flat, perfect for my cuppa. :beerchug: it hangs by the mushroom on the edge of the bowl

panopticon

Dec 17, 2006
Falkirk, Scotland
Pipistrelle said:
It is deceptive, and slightly smaller than a standard tea spoon but deep enough to use for soup, holds 11/2 teaspoons of sugar when flat, perfect for my cuppa. :beerchug: it hangs by the mushroom on the edge of the bowl

That is rather ingenious!

I really want to try something like this, what exactly would i need?

Crook Knife, Some decent wood, common sense?

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
panopticon said:
That is rather ingenious!

I really want to try something like this, what exactly would i need?

Crook Knife, Some decent wood, common sense?

Ifind the shaping of the spoon in its roughest form by axe, watch your fingers, leaving a long handle and extra on the bowl to hold.

Knife, crook knife, sand paper, linseed oil, have a look at eric's spoon vice as it looks cool it will save your fingers.

good luck.

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
I uploaded the image onto the bushcraft gallery, then copied the link into the text.

That is an interesting crook knife and a really elegant looking spoon, good long handle for stirring that soup, excellent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE