Music

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Does anyone carry a musical instrument with them when they are out?

A lyrical larynx counts - whether you think you can sing or not!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Awake due to hammering rain and so I’m having a cup of tea. I ought to be gently reading really rather than screen time.

Occasionally I have some tingsha bells. The chime is incredibly pure and clean, there are a few on this site with recordings, mine are plain flying saucer shape as above and produce a very lovely tone that takes a long time to decay.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Yes

I took my inspiration from Milo of Croton and started with a childs keyboard. Just added a few notes at a time.

1729321732321.png

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

In more seriousness , good question , kudos to those that do - love those people that come to a campfire with a guitar then try to sing that latest songs.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
On one of our overland treks in North Africa a member of the group was a competition piper and he took his bagpipes everywhere. I can tell you there is nothing so moving as bagpipes well played at the top of a Saharan dune in the night.

Fair play to the lad, he would only play one tune then stop.

Reactions: Stew

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Awake due to hammering rain and so I’m having a cup of tea. I ought to be gently reading really rather than screen time.

Occasionally I have some tingsha bells. The chime is incredibly pure and clean, there are a few on this site with recordings, mine are plain flying saucer shape as above and produce a very lovely tone that takes a long time to decay.

I have a pair of these, at least I think they’re the same thing. I bought mine in Kathmandu 30 odd years ago. Mine have symbols embossed around them. Sadly though, not knowing anything about them, I didn’t try the other ones on offer, mine produce an ever so slight off beat as they’re slightly different in frequency.
Nice idea to take them out into nature though, I’ll try that, especially lying in my hammock, rocking myself gently!:)
Just checked the site out, happy to say, they didn’t cost anyway near that much!:oops: Wanted to get a decent Kukri as well, but the prices being asked from the street vendors for one with steel that you couldn’t scrape with your finger nail were ridiculous.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have a pair of these, at least I think they’re the same thing. I bought mine in Kathmandu 30 odd years ago. Mine have symbols embossed around them. Sadly though, not knowing anything about them, I didn’t try the other ones on offer, mine produce an ever so slight off beat as they’re slightly different in frequency.
Nice idea to take them out into nature though, I’ll try that, especially lying in my hammock, rocking myself gently!:)
Just checked the site out, happy to say, they didn’t cost anyway near that much!:oops: Wanted to get a decent Kukri as well, but the prices being asked from the street vendors for one with steel that you couldn’t scrape with your finger nail were ridiculous.
No, I didn’t pay such a large amount, I used that site as they have recordings. You can easily pay 3 or 4 times that amount if you want some made on the full moon. I think although they’re not out to rip people off, there’s an element of seeing you coming.

Reactions: matarius777

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ok, let’s see how well this works. Pretty sure the forum software need me to host vids elsewhere so I’ve bunged it on youtube. Turn your monitor up, I could hear the tone for a good 30 seconds. There’s strong evidence as to why tone is used in ritual, whether that be a concert, festival, spiritual summoning. Or for those Skinwalker Ranch fans, some native Americans using ancient drums and chants and an infra red camera recording a man made circle/spiral atop a stone mesa to increase in temperature.

I don’t have a particular use for these bells, but I feel how clean the tone is.

Reactions: TeeDee

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've started learning to play a Seagull merlin but have yet to terrorise any wildlife with it.

Other than the seagull and merlin.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Are you happy with the harmonics?
I am yeah, but I did return the first pair. I reckon any instrument, ideally, needs to be a try and buy, but the only shops I’ve been to that sell these types of things are in Glastonbury town and I have reasons not to want to be there at the moment.

@FerlasDave, I have two or three of them. A couple of the cheaper small ones that are ok, and one really nice one. Can play them too.

Look up Vietnamese Dan Moi, they have a really nice sound, I have a set of 5 of them somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: FerlasDave

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Wow that’s very interesting. I thought most sea snail shells like the whelk and winkle were formed in a fibonacci series I have never heard or thought of a construction based in a harmonic series. Thank you!

I wonder if the fifth harmonic in the conch shell is as discordant as it is to our ears - a sort of Gastropod teenage! :)

Different songbirds use pentatonic and diatonic musical scales. I have had blackbirds singing along when I play lower notes but they go quite as I move up the scale.

Music is just part of nature. Playing music when camped is no different from the woodsmoke of your fire.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I'm with British Red and Broch. Why go out into the sounds of nature then inflict your choice in music on anyone else there?

I've been doing a camping (not bushcraft) with mates thing on my dad's farm for over 20 years now and music is highy discouraged/banned. You cannot have 30 to 40 people there and please all of them with any particular type of music. There will always be someone to whom the music is annoying/grating, so it's best not to have it at all.

Reactions: slowworm

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
How sad.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here.

You ARE Nature!

While I enjoy a camp singalong, I’m predominantly a solo camper. My OP referred more to playing or singing on your own.

Is bushcraft really free of music?

How very very sad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE