Mushroom growing kits

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The plug spawn dowell things for drilling into logs.

Has anyone on here used them? Any good?

Am I right in thinking that you could just use wild mushrooms to get the spores and just bung them into holes in the timber and that would get the spores going?

Mebbe plug the holes afterwards :confused:

Mind the kits are not exactly expensive either.
I am thinking about geting some for a mates parents who quite often feed me when I am there and have provided garage space for a couple of my motocrossers for a while.

They have a few acres of woodland that had a mature beech tree thats fallen down so might be worth "seeding".

Any opinions?

Oh and I don't mean the little mushrooms with the pointy tops either :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Nobody used the edible mushroom growing kits?

I am NOT asking about the now illegal kits that get you wasted either, just the normal ones that grow Shiitake, Pearl Oyster and so on types.

I can see that I am just going to have to buy a kit and see what they are like.

White Elf

Jun 27, 2006
Surrey
We got two impregnated logs last year but nothing has happened yet so i can't exactly say i recommend them. But we still got hope.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Not used them, but I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same as the ones used by commercial growers, so you'd figure they must be pretty reliable.

I'm not sure whether they're just impregnated with spores, or whether the mycelium has been started off already. The big problem with growing mushrooms from wild spores is contamination, so I'd expect that the plugs have been sterilised, then impregnated with highly controlled spores in a sterile environment, then allowed to get established. All just supposition on my part though...

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
The plugs I've seen have been fairly well riddled with mycelia by the time they get to the customer; so for DIY, there's no reason why not. Right about the sterilised plugs though - and the spores are usually brought on initially on agar slides.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Anyway, I think I will get them one of the dowell kits as the rest looks to much like hard work.

The links that ESpy posted were interesting stuff though.

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
i have bought a set of tinderfungus from fungiperfecti a while ago,didnt have any problem with them. they also checked with me if postage cost would be to high for me since they normaly didnt ship that far out ;)

package arrived nicely wrapped with clear enough instructions and a zipbag filled with wooden plugs and some white goo (prolly myecelium jelly)

now if only i had used the stuff directly instead of forgetting about it and finding it back 3 months later :D (in my defense,i became daddy the same week the package arrived )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE