Multigender camping etiquette

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have enough gear of my own to cart about, no bloody way am I carrying some tarts' makeup bag! I think this is partly the reason my Frau has shown zero interest in getting outdoors with me, apart from the fact that there aren't enough mirrors or power outlets for her hairdryer, no baths, no telly, no electrical lighting, there are bugs and other creatures, no toilets, the list goes on!

I reckon Tengus' advice is the best I've ever heard, it was definitley coffee sprayingly funny!

:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We've got a little campervan for when the whole tribe comes along. Otherwise, when I'm in the bush it's just me or I'm with like-minded folks and we all carry our own stuff. Embarrassingly though, one of my hunting buddies, who happens to be a chick about half my age seems better organised than me! Here she is looking very organised.

Whenever I go out, I always seem to have something I don't really need. Still a bit of fine tuning me thinks. :rolleyes:
J

Hurry up and chat her up Jamie

I married the younger chick shooting buddy of mine. Never regretted it for one second!

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I would love to get the wife out and about camping etc but she just isn't into it either, roughing it is not her bag, the crazy thing is she would only stay in a hotel, which is not practical. She gets a little jealous of all things i do and places i go when i'm roughing it(fishing) but we couldn't afford to go and stay in hotels everytime. It actually stops her/us from being able to have more adventures little holidays that are affordable. We have a van, so we don't even really have to rough it, it can carry 650kg of girly and camping stuff.

Hurry up and chat her up Jamie

I married the younger chick shooting buddy of mine. Never regretted it for one second!

Good for you Red! But I don't think LJ will be up for it!
I've met heaps of really switched-on outdoorsy girls through work out here (who are better at roughing it than me) but I'm very good and always go back to wifey, kids and the comforts of home.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
One of the favorite things about my wife is the fact that she says, "I love camping - it means I don't have to have a shower". Yes - and she understands that the "prettier" one smells, the more likely all the mossies in the wood will be attracted.

Regarding extra kit, well - if you bring it, you should carry it. But, I think that it's better to meet with everyone, night before the trip, and review what's in each pack to prevent someone from bringing a 50 lb pack when a 30 pounder will do.

Cheers,
D

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Hey, I agree with a few people here. Don't get involved with women.

The moment I tell a woman that I won't "wait on her" or "fetch/tote" for her she's usually gone. If she wants it along, she carries it - along with her share of any "community" gear! And the whining, crying, "damsel in distress" drama sh*t gets her sorry butt left behind - wherever it happens to be along the trail. Everybody carries their own weight!

With all the 17th and 18th century living history stuff I do, I know a bunch of women that are tougher than most men. They take care of themselves and their own gear. They don't expect anybody to fetch-n-tote for them. They do their share without any whining/crying/drama. Unfortunately, they are also all already ... attached ... to some other guy.

I grew up on the farm - where the women were equal partners in all the work, or took care of the work they could. And some even liked that prissy/girly stuff. But that was all after they took care of what needed to be done! It was only after I started going to school that I started to see that "other" side of women - with them "city" kids. Most farm kids did more "work" before breakfast on one day than those city kids did all week! Still don't like that "other" side of them.

Now I'm off to a weekend of 1840's camping - with a bunch of people - including a lot of TOUGH WOMEN!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. There's a difference between being a "gentleman" and assisting a woman, and being a "slave" to her laziness/whims. I know and practice the former, will never stand for the later!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, you know Im girly because I dont like insects on me....hence the tent.

And I cant cook as well as a man can.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Thinking about carrying things - one problem is I'm a lot bigger and stronger than my other half. I'm about 100kg and she's half that! It isn't carrying things that's the problem it is deciding to bring lots of junk.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
We've got a little campervan for when the whole tribe comes along. Otherwise, when I'm in the bush it's just me or I'm with like-minded folks and we all carry our own stuff. Embarrassingly though, one of my hunting buddies, who happens to be a chick about half my age seems better organised than me! Here she is looking very organised.

Whenever I go out, I always seem to have something I don't really need. Still a bit of fine tuning me thinks. :rolleyes:
J
I like her style! :)

Last time I went camping with a group of friends, including 2 girls, both of them went home after one night... They had been freezing all night long because they forgot to bring the essentials I told them they would really need, needless to say they did bring plenty of other useless junk.... Next time I'll be checking their gear the day before we leave!

drew1166

Jun 1, 2007
Wishaw, Scotland
When I met my wife 15 years ago I took her a trek up the 'Devil's Staircase' from The Kings house Hotel to Kinlochleven.During the Easter weekend.
When we started off the weather was not too bad, but half way up it started to snow and sleet a bit. By the time we got to the second summit it was pretty well hoofing it down. We decided to Tent up Rather than head on or to head back. Next morning we got up at 6 looked outside to see scorching sunshine and about a foot of snow.
We Decided to head back to the car at an easy pace as the track was now hidden by the snow. When we got back She told me she had enjoyed herself and would gladly do it again.

She done all of the trek with all of her own kit and a proper share of the camp gear, and not one complaint about anything.

What a woman !!!!!!!!!!!

drew1166

Jun 1, 2007
Wishaw, Scotland
Sorry kovin. none of the rest would even think about roughing it like that. you should see them when they go to ' T in the park ' with caravan and trailer en convoy.

She even does Viking Re-enacting with me ( not as much now coz of the little one) , Even done an 11 day under canvas at the Largs Festival, with our one year old.

Like I said ' What a woman.'

:)

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We have been talking about "Western" multi gender camping ettiqutte.

What about the native woman? She carries the kid and a huge pack then forages and cooks a meal while her man swans along in the lead taking a pot shot at the odd animal or two.

He has a smoke and talks to his mates while she and the other women put up the shelter.

I remember last year when one of our leading lights on BCUK was down with a debilitating ailment that knocked him out. He asked if anyone could carry his pack which, in addition to his gear, had a full medical kit with lots of heavy gear, saline etc.

I admit I hesitated as did all the men. We were glad when a local woman, who had not eaten or taken any fluids for at least 9 hours, hoicked his pack on top of hers and proceeded to carry it out of the jungle for him. She did not drink or eat for a further 4 hours till sundown.

She also had one large leech attached to her ankle and when I offered to remove it she declined saying "Leave it. It will fall off when it is full".

These women are tuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE