Mugged on a hike

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wow... This thread has changed since I last checked in. I can smell the testosterone from here.

I was mugged once and at that time responded with force. I was young, fit, and rather naïve. It was just two days after completing a military unarmed combat course but I was still extremely lucky that it went well for me. I could just have easily died that day.

If the same thing happened now I would just give them what they wanted. Nephilhim did exactly the right thing.

I cannot understand how anyone can bring "Manhood" into this conversation as if being a man means disingaging your brain and getting yourself killed for the sake of a few possessions. I know we are supposed to be the less thoughtful sex according to some, but being a man does not mean being deliberately stupid.

The "real men" in this thread are Nephilhim for keeping a cool head and the amazing guys that have offered such generous help. Well done to you all.

Last edited:

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Jebus. Little scrotes.
Glad you got away mostly unharmed, let hope they find the other and some more of your kit.
You no doubt did the right thing by not fighting back, i on the other hand would prob be dead or in hospital as i get serious red mist and would have had a go no matter what they were carrying........have done before and been very lucky.
I was 13 and had just been to get my crappy survival knife sharpened, you know the one with the hollow handle and the plastic sheath can be used as a catapult etc.
Was walking home through an underpass when i guy stopped in front of me on a bmx and pulled out a serrated climbing knife and demanded my wallet.
I reached into my bag to find it and found my knife instead, pulled it out and he buggered off rather quickly.
I have found that most of them are all front, as soon as you start back they soon scarper.....then again a mate of mine was stabbed during a small menial drunk argument about a band (music band).

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Wow... This thread has changed since I last checked in. I can smell the testosterone from here.

I was mugged once and at that time responded with force. I was young, fit, and rather naïve. It was just two days after completing a military unarmed combat course but I was still extremely lucky that it went well for me. I could just have easily died that day.

If the same thing happened now I would just give them what they wanted. Nephilhim did exactly the right thing.

I cannot understand how anyone can bring "Manhood" into this conversation as if being a man means disingaging your brain and getting yourself killed for the sake of a few possessions. I know we are supposed to be the less thoughtful sex according to some, but being a man does not mean being deliberately stupid.

The "real men" in this thread are Nephilhim for keeping a cool head and the amazing guys that have offered such generous help. Well done to you all.

And yet you had to Bring up your own story on how you responded with force and defeated your own mugger.? The testosterone is strong in this one.

At least my story ended with me getting battered.:lmao:

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Please less of the measuring of manhood. Man of Tanith or Toddy, do you mind trimming the thread a bit? Not that I want it me focused, just a lot of comments aren't really helpful or useful

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Hey Carl, op, how's it going today? You ok? Been thinking of you last couple of days.. Thanks for your updates. I'm glad to hear how you're moving along.

Hearing stuff - I've got degenerative progressive hearing loss - but what you said about The bone hearing thing sounds great! Gives me hope that I might find something useful CICs were good for a while but have reached the limit of what they do... But I hope that goes really well for you. I love the idea of you hearing some things again - I can remember no longer being able to hear some bits of music and the. Getting a rig which enabled me to enjoy that for a few more years, I hope you get some of the same experience - outdoor noises are amazing (birdsong, leaves, water over stones)

I'm so pleased you're getting your knife back. That's smart. I'm really impressed with how you're handling yourself and what's happened. You're continuing to do great and be a good example of how to be when the **** hits the proverbial fan. Thank you. I really appreciate that. And everyone who's offered support and replacements - outstanding!

Happy Yule and Solstice - it's the turning of the year may the new one bring you much good.

Love and good cheer.... Lizz

Wayland

Hárbarðr
And yet you had to Bring up your own story on how you responded with force and defeated your own mugger.? The testosterone is strong in this one.

At least my story ended with me getting battered.:lmao:

My point was, been there, done that, would definitely not do it again... No testosterone required.

Most of the people saying "fight back" have probably never actually been in that kind of situation and do not realise how terrifying it really is.

Five minutes after that encounter I was shaking like a leaf and wondering why I had been so stupid. Never again...

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Great there was no serious injury and knife will be returned, well done.

Something did worry me in one comment in the suggestion that fighting back could get someone into trouble. I fully accept that the right thing to do is to hand over property if the situation demands it but we are in the region of reasonable force in one's own defence. I see that the police are agitating for more protection from the law if they use force but what happened to improving rights for victims if they do defend themselves?

I couldn't run away so do I still have to risk both physical assault and legal sanction if I resist and go over what somebody sitting safe in a court regarded as unreasonable force. Please note that the civilian (silly dichotomy because the police are civilians) will be arrested immediately but the police will be investigated, perhaps.

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
That was the point. Perhaps it's time you did. At least the law abiding component; you can rest assured that if the villains really wanted firearms, they certainly can get access.

Like others have said; entirely different culture.

The U.S. system is beyond flawed. People buy guns because criminals have guns... they fail to secure said firearms like responsible gun owners, tens of thousand get stolen every year and go where? Oh that's right... the hands of criminals that perpetuate the need for non-criminal gun owners to own their gun... It's self-perpetuating idiocy at its finest.

I am with you on the front of disproportionate response, but that's just me. I live by the philosophy that if anyone crosses me in extremes like that then they're going to live their life with someone that reminds them of that transgression. However the fact "some wouldn't walk away" is just dangerous talk... Even if I had a gun I wouldn't be prepared to chance my life for a few items. If anything I'd only place myself at greater risk by drawing my weapon and that much is evidenced in studies in the U.S. that show if you're armed in a home invasion scenario you're more likely to get shot/killed yourself.

This guy did the right thing and the U.S. is all the proof we need that unnecessary rights for law-abiding citizens isn't justifiable when we look at the negative side of that equation. Gun ownership is not justified in the U.S. under the current framework(which is absolutely insane and entirely disregards the philosophy of great responsibility accompanying great power) given how many issues it causes.

But yeah, different culture. Pretty sure German police officers fired less rounds in one of the previous years, that is all of them combined, than some officers have discharged against unarmed citizens in the U.S. in single incidents.

We don't want nor need that 'right' here. I'd rather be scoffed at than have the privilege to expedite my meeting with my Maker.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
My point was, been there, done that, would definitely not do it again... No testosterone required.

Most of the people saying "fight back" have probably never actually been in that kind of situation and do not realise how terrifying it really is.

Five minutes after that encounter I was shaking like a leaf and wondering why I had been so stupid. Never again...
In all fairness only one or two have said they would have fought back.

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
And back to the topic(I was 3 pages behind since last visit) I hope the police are making progress mate.

Not long until Christmas now so I hope some time spent with friends and family will help lift your spirits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE