Mugged on a hike

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Well today has been the ultimate crappie day. This afternoon I was mugged by 5 teenagers all with knives, and the following was taken from me.

My axe
My saw
My spalted birch knife made by Kristophish
My catapult
And my old phone I was using to record my day for my YouTube channel.

I've been to the police station and got a crime reference number, I'm just so upset as I can't afford to replace any of it.

Who in the hell mugs a person just before Christmas...especially as all I was doing was attempting to get pine sap! :(

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
What knives were they carrying? Bet they weren't even carbon steel or scandi ground. Pfft.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
A couple had some kitchen knifes and one had a machete/parang.

I didn't argue because frankly, my life is more valuable...but still...never been so annoyed and upset in my life

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Yeah. I'm hopeful the police recover it. I gave a good description of the attackers. I'm a little bumped and bruised, but I'm in tears about what was taken.

Not as if I have hundreds to spend on the kit again :( ..I'm unemployed :(

The only way I was able to buy some of the stuff recently was because of early Christmas presents from family.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
The fact that you were robbed at knife point should make a huge difference to how seriously the police will treat this crime.

You will be having all sorts of unpleasant emotions, you did the right thing in handing over your goods, it's only stuff, bloody annoying thing to happen, but other outcomes might have been worse.

Hope you can get over it soon as.

Hopefully the little darlings will get their comeuppance soon.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Sorry to read this, there are some, .....'s out there. Glad you didn't go all Charles Bronson on them, you are right to put your own life first, all objects can be replaced.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The cowardly little barstewards! :mad:

I'm not the best at sympathies in all honesty, simply because I've had two attempted muggings on me... I know how it feels afterwards, and anything I say is going to be trivial to how it feels for you.

What I can do though is get you some gear back... I've been planning to make a folding saw with a case, so I'll do it this week... doesn't give you your saw back, but it does give you a saw. When its ready, I'll post up a piccy and if you're happy with it, I'll post it to you. And before you say it... its not charity... its Christmas spirit!! :)

You did the right thing... I didn't but was incredibly lucky on both occasions. Whichever way it happens, it doesn't resolve the anger and the upset that someone would do that to another.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Thanks guys. I wasn't after replacements in honesty, as I needed to vent my frustration, (though I will take up the offers).

If anyone knows Ashridge at all, that's where it happened. Local cafes and stuff near the entrance have been given descriptions by the police on the hope they see something...but I'm doubtful...and tearful

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I can dig out a knife to keep you going - pm your address and I'll send you a parcel. As Dewi says, it's not charity it's just returning some of the generosity and goodwill we see here.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
The cowardly little barstewards! :mad:

I'm not the best at sympathies in all honesty, simply because I've had two attempted muggings on me... I know how it feels afterwards, and anything I say is going to be trivial to how it feels for you.

What I can do though is get you some gear back... I've been planning to make a folding saw with a case, so I'll do it this week... doesn't give you your saw back, but it does give you a saw. When its ready, I'll post up a piccy and if you're happy with it, I'll post it to you. And before you say it... its not charity... its Christmas spirit!! :)

You did the right thing... I didn't but was incredibly lucky on both occasions. Whichever way it happens, it doesn't resolve the anger and the upset that someone would do that to another.
Thank you. My saw wasn't the best, was a cheap one from Aldi. So that's easily replaced. I'm just...roller-coaster of emotions right now.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's blinking awful news Carl, especially at this time of year. You did the right thing though, would be stupid to take them on, and you could've ended up in trouble if you had. Know it seems hopeless just now but given time you'll be able to replace your kit, that's a lot better than your family not having you around for Christmas.
I'm also a strong believer in what goes around comes around and that the little gits will get theres at some point in some way.
Have a wee glass of something, give the family a hug and hopefully Santa will be kind and get you something towards a replacement.
Sorry again for you.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Sorry to hear that mate. You did the right thing handing over your gear. It's only stuff.
Maybe you'll meet them one at a time then it's game on. Keep an eye out for the ########

Dont know how i would react to the same situation. Depends on if i had a wee dram or not. Catch me with a half bottle of whiskey in me and it would probably be like a scene from Last of the Mohicans. :aargh4: :nutkick: :twak: :viking: :swordfigh: :surrender: :stretcher: :crutch: :crutch: :crutch: :crutch: :crutch:

Last edited:

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Stew.. The very same. Not far from Berkhampstead. I've been loads before and never had a problem. Today was the first instance of anything like this happening to me, ever. I've never felt like this before. So I'm a bit shakey and yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE