Mug Fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
L

logstacker

:super:
Stew said:
Doesn't this class as an illegal technique? I thought legally you have to use a rod.
I have lamped ,longnetted,gillnetted ,snared,shot and generally taken fish,fowl and fur any how possible.There`s too much political correctness these days.You have to have a healthy disrespect for authority.Anyone heard the Gubmintts gonna ban it all soon?

We will all forget how to feed ourselves.The law never stopped me Grandad from shooting fowl and keeping unlicenced pigs during ww2.He taught me to set a longline for eels!Good shot with a catapult too.
Any one with a handline :You_Rock_

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Well I've asked them by email what the legal def is. If there's no minimum lenght then you'd just have to tie a twig to your mug. It took them a month to reply last time I asked a question so don't hold your breath,
Realgar

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Unfortunately not legal in France either :( Although you can use a 'balance' to catch crayfish; the American signal and other non-native all year as much as you want but they must be killed on the bank and never transported live. There is a regulation on mesh size. It is also actually legal to fish for the native crayfish for 1 day a year! But since they are pretty rare now after the devastation of disease and competition from the American Signal I would not think if it. At first I thought a 'balance' was a trap (actually a 'piege') but it is more like a crab net. In fact with my fishing licence I can use 6 at once :shock: I have no idea how you run up and down the bank pulling them up to catch the buggers :).

Here is a photo:

balance%20Pafex.JPG

As it is not a 'fixed engine' as such ( i.e. you attach it to a wooden pole and hang it into the water then lift up after a few minutes to catch them) I wonder if that would be legal in the UK too :?: given it is attached to a pole/ rod :shock: :)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Perhaps it's me being thick but if you're actually sat fishing (eg not setting night lines etc) It's only the tackle that's actually under the water "The Business end" that matters. So if there's a weight, a hook and a maggot sat on the riverbed waiting for a bite, what does it matter if the other end is attached to a pole, a rod, a stainless mug, someones toe or a hot air balloon for that matter. It's still the same gubbin's sat on the riverbed?? :?: I'm confused!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE