MSR Miniworks Filter, Anygood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Ive seen people talk about filters like this and usually I just take what water I need but it can be bulky etc. I like the idea that if Im up on the moors etc I can just filter my own water. What do people think of the MSR Miniworks or can you recommend any others for about £50?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I have the miniworks, and it seems to be highly recommended (US special forces, I think), and it is my main 'expedition' filter. It isn't that quick, but it works, and you can screw a wide-mouth water bottle onto the bottom to pump directly to the bottle if you want (but loosely, or the airtight seal prevents the pump from working). I like it, and think it is a good bit of kit, but there are others that work well also.

The downside to the MSR is it is a bit bulky, but I haven't found that to be a problem. Dimensions (a a guess) about 10"x5"x4", maybe a bit more. Not worth it for short trips unless water quality is a major concern.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Im in the same boat, I dont need one but it seems cheap and I really fancy one. Think it would make walking nice and easy as no need to carry more than 1 bottle full as I can refill.

Out of interest, what would people think about using it in woodland. Is there a sure fire way to say yes you should or no you shouldnt try and filter that water, i.e its too dirty/contaminated?

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I have one and I use i all the time, they are great good flow rate and easy to clean and strip down

Some action shots for you :) first photo on dartmoor the second in the Alps

P1010542.jpg

P1010984.jpg

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I have the miniworks,

Same here :cool:

I like it, and think it is a good bit of kit, but there are others that work well also.

Definitely :)

The downside to the MSR is it is a bit bulky, but I haven't found that to be a problem.

It is bulky ~ but, to my mind, that facilitates easier cleaning when out and about :approve: ~ algeal build up doesn't half slow the filtering, doesn't it! :rofl: . To counter any build up on the filter, I keep a small square of nylon scourer stashed in the pump bag :thinkerg:

Not worth it for short trips unless water quality is a major concern.

Oh, I don't know ... some folk get quite upset if you source your water on the go ~ and the discussions which can follow can be a real good giggle :rofl:

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
I've had mine for quite a few years, used it many times, and not had any problems. If the water available is really grotty with suspended solids, I filter it into a container with a millbank bag before I use the miniworks to finish the filtration. That prolongs the life of the ceramic filter, and saves having to buy new ones quite so often.

Alan

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I use one, but always boil water afterwards. Way better than the Premac Trekker or the Drinksafe water bag. Use with puritabs too and you're sorted without the need to boil apparently.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
So is it generally a case of if its running water and relativly clean, this will make it safe to drink?

Safer or safe?

Personally I always choose to filter and purify as much as I possibly can and I do so to try to prevent the need to perform the Special Forces Shuffle.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
So is it generally a case of if its running water and relativly clean, this will make it safe to drink?

The only thing it does not filter are viruses and if you are out in the hills or in the middle of a forest in the UK or europe then there is hardly any risk of this . I just use and drink I don't bother to boil in areas that I believe to be low risk for virus. For example if I was trekking in somewhere like india where people bath in the water regularly then I would boil as well however I don't bother boiling anywhere I have been in europe and I have had zero problems with water.

The thing about these filters is they do what they say on the tin, however it is always good to know how to treat and filter water without a filter just incase it breaks. With the msr its unlikely it will break because they are simple robust and easy to strip down to resolve any issues

I do understand why you are asking this question. When I first started using a filter I would get worried about water borne bugs and stuff and would always try to boil as well. That was me being paranoid, now I have learnt to trust the filter to do what it says .
As long as I am careful when cleaning and make common sense Choices about my water source then I really don't worry about it at all and just filter and drink

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have the premac and so far never had an issue with becoming ill. All the water I have filtered has been used to make coffee so it's being boiled anyway. If I'm in camp I try to boil more than needed and then let it stand to cool ready for drinking cold if needed.

It's been stated in a few posts that choosing your water source helps but you can't always do this.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I have the premac and so far never had an issue with becoming ill. All the water I have filtered has been used to make coffee so it's being boiled anyway. If I'm in camp I try to boil more than needed and then let it stand to cool ready for drinking cold if needed.

It's been stated in a few posts that choosing your water source helps but you can't always do this.

Your totally correct, you cant always choose your water source .
I was trekking in the north of poland early last year we had two water filters between a group of three of us (both mine) . One was the msr and the other was a lifesaver bottle , although the lifesaver bottle can also filter out viruses the msr was the better filter for this trip due to the fact the water sources were full of plankton/algae/mud and kept blocking up the filters . The msr was very easy to clean and get going again , which to my mind made it the better field filter to bring along.
After this trip I sold the lifesaver bottle and I now use just use the msr for everything.
it was only when I got home that I was able to properly and safely clean out the lifesaver where as the msr was straight forward to do in the field

Last edited:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Thanks for all thr help guys. Im a bit gutted now as I went in to get one today and it was a one day offer, now its back up to nearly £100!!

Oh well will have to wait I guess

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Thanks for all thr help guys. Im a bit gutted now as I went in to get one today and it was a one day offer, now its back up to nearly £100!!

Oh well will have to wait I guess

Phone up there head office mate and tell them you could not pick it up yesterday due to childcare reasons or something like that . And then ask if you can have it today for the offer price.
I worked many years in reatil :) this will work me thinks :)

If they tell you its up to the store manager then ask for the area managers phone number or if its part of a big chain then ask them to put you straight through to the area managers mobile via there switch board :) and ask him instead, any store manager has to ask the area manager for big discounts any way , this way you can save the manager doing the work by errm doing it for him/her
Some store managers just don't like to ask there area manager if they can do a one off discount for a customer this way they have no choice

Last edited:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Thanks I Called them and got put through to my local store who didnt have any. I then called the next local one who said he would match the price but when he checked had none in anyway.
Ah well Ill have to be quicker next time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE