Mr mears swedish shovel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I thought the spade/shovel Ray used was plain aluminium/metal? (one with the frozen egg on); whatever, how is it better than a folding NATO type?

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I thought the spade/shovel Ray used was plain aluminium/metal? (one with the frozen egg on); whatever, how is it better than a folding NATO type?
It has a detachable snowblade..... which comes in handy if you have to dig a slittrench or clear a place for a shelter in a snowcovered forrest. Or excavate your car from a snowdrift :rolleyes:. It also is a little more ergonomically shaped. Just feels better. However it does not pack away as nice and small as a NATO foldable shovel and i can not say that it is any lighter either.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hej Didgeredoohan,
I am not blessed with a surplusstore anywhere near me, so I am "dependent" on online sources, where these shovels go from 200kr each without the snowblade. Add shipping to that and you know why I said that.

pwb

Bought one from those guys on E-Bay a few weeks back. Had a wee problem with the first one they sent , welded repair that had cracks in, they very quickly sent a replacement ..good service.

I also first saw that type being used by Ray Mears in a tracks episode ,the one with the earth oven iirc , also briefly mentioned in one of his books but they never seemed to be anywhere for sale.
It feels a very well made and useable spade , got it the car boot with the snow attachment replacing the long orange plastic snow shovel I had in there last year.

Pete.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE