Mouse bait

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi guys

I have been told that there is a mouse bait and rat bait in the uk
that only poisons once ? as in once the rat or mouse has eaten it if a dog then eats the rat or mouse it will not poison the dog?.

Thank you swagman

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't know that one, but a number are cumulative in effect. This means more than one dose is required to build up to trigger the effect. This is certainly true of the anti coagulants (warfarin and later types). Many of these also have an antidote available (e.g. Vtitamin K or the like).

Hope this helps

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
hot off the press form my colleague - the pest control manager here.

Affraid the answer is no. There no is bait available that is "dog safe" once eaten by the rodents.

Is it mice or rats and how bad - traps might be better.

Last edited:

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi Eds
it is mice they are about gone now but we get them every year and i would like to store some camping equipment under the house
without thinking it will get eaten. Are you saying you can get a safe bait ?.

Swagman

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We have a mouse problem in our woodshed and horse feed store. I just put some of the horse feed onto the bait hook, fresh stuff mind, as the older drier stuff doesn't pong as good. Anyway in 2009 I got 56 mice. So far this year I've had 16 and I only set two traps. If you go with the trap route though I would suggest wiring the trap to something solid as a cat could take off your kill along with the little nipper. I lost "Ol' Faithful" and "El Bruto" to some bigger scavenger, found El Bruto a few months later but the rust had gotten into him and he was never the same after that.

Got a pretty good trophy collection now. 3 pairs of gloves and I'm working on a hat now.

Seriously though about the poison, our dog ate some, but he's a labrador cross and in good health so we noticed the decline straight away. Got him to the vets after a hornet stung him and the bleeding wouldn't stop. She asked if he was acting slow and lathargic and we said yes but put it down to his advancing years. She explained that he was dangerously anemic and concluded what he'd eaten and put him on a course of medication. Now he's back to his old self. Wish I could say the same for the other dog that our nieghbour had that ate the poison, she died.

In my opinion traps are more humane and they're a one shot deal like you're after.

Mars bars? On a trap? Are you deranged!!!? :yikes: But that's chocolate

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I had the problem last year, the beggars were keeping me awake at night with their goings on. I used a double ended mink trap baited with a piece of plain chocolate digestive biscuit with worcester sauce dripped onto the biscuit side. It worked a treat because old ratty was in there come the morning. He even helped me out by biting the end of the air rifle barrel when I stuck it in the cage!

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi guys
Thank you for all the helpfull advice i think i will just use traps i can replace any camping gear if they get to it.
But would never want to replace my dogs.

Thanks again

Swagman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE