Mounted policeman tells off motorcyclist :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A young chap amuses himself by driving his motorcycle in an unsafe manner, he is then reprimanded by a mounted police officer.

[video=youtube;NVubZ0Oegy4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVubZ0Oegy4[/video]

Thanks to boingboing.

:)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well handled. Silly boy on an over priced toy. Can't abide anyone who thinks road traffic laws don't apply to them.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
We could do with a few of those round here (mounted police, not wheelie popping eejits) There are way too many kids haring around here on bikes they can barely control, and never a copper in sight.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
We could do with a few of those round here (mounted police, not wheelie popping eejits) There are way too many kids haring around here on bikes they can barely control, and never a copper in sight.

Not really a lot they could do though if the rider decided not to stop.

Better have motorbike cops on the roads instead, plus horse poop on the apex of a corner isn't ideal when on a bike.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Not really a lot they could do though if the rider decided not to stop.
Radio is faster than the bike, plus the proliferation of cctv in London = nicked in no time ;)
In the description box of the vid he also confesses that he has adapted the bike gearing so the speedo does not read correctly, pretty sure that is both illegal and will void his insurance.
Pretty daft chap allround I'd say and puts those of us that have a bike licence in poor company.
Rob.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Radio is faster than the bike, plus the proliferation of cctv in London = nicked in no time ;)
In the description box of the vid he also confesses that he has adapted the bike gearing so the speedo does not read correctly, pretty sure that is both illegal and will void his insurance.
Pretty daft chap allround I'd say and puts those of us that have a bike licence in poor company.
Rob.

There is no way a mounted cop or a cop in a car will catch a sportsbike around London.
It's the get away vehicle of choice for any thief stealing anything light enough to carry on a bike.

In my old courier days i had a motorbike cop tackle me, turns out he'd been chasing me for the last 20 mins :lmao:
This was with me on a pushbike mind.

Around 12,000rpm in 1st gear at around 70 mph, seems pretty standard to me.
Best case scenario is he'd ONLY doing 65mph in a 20mph zone, different sprocket sizing isn't much a defence in this case.

I can understand the draw of a sportsbike on what looks to be a empty road, it's a 20mph zone in the middle of London though, nothng the guy can say is a good enough defence against that.
He was very very lucky and got away very very lightly IMO

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
According to this BBC article posted today, mounted police increase public trust. :)

"...Levels of public trust and confidence in police are higher when officers are deployed on horseback, a report suggests. The number of mounted units in Britain has fallen from 17 in 2012 to 12 in 2014, amid pressures on budgets. And the study commissioned by the Association of Chief Police Officers set out to assess the value of the patrols. Researchers say they could have a greater role in neighbourhood policing..."

:)

"...Can't abide anyone who thinks road traffic laws don't apply to them..."

I have no tolerance for folks who drive without care and attention to other road users and pedestrians, whether that involves driving too fast, having a phone strapped to their head or just being stupid.

In this neck of the woods there seem to be an alarming number of thirty-something men and women who drive like infants.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
There is no way a mounted cop or a cop in a car will catch a sportsbike around London.
It's the get away vehicle of choice for any thief stealing anything light enough to carry on a bike.

If he's on his own bike then the number plate will give them all the info they need. He can be caught up with at a later date.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If he's on his own bike then the number plate will give them all the info they need. He can be caught up with at a later date.

LOL. Have you ever tried to read the rag number on a motorcycle going past at 100mph? Or see the driver's face? (which in addition to the speed, is covered by the helmet)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece

There has been a crack down since i left the UK, back in the 90's it was rare to see a motorbike with anything even resembling a full sized plate.

I've still come across jackets strategically draped over the number plate, number plates moved to positions that are difficult to read, or no number plate at all.
The other thing is IF you think it's likely your going to do a runner why on earth would you have the bike registered under your name anyways.

I agree your theory works for 99% of us responsible bikers, but the number plate is no deterrent to someone that's willing to try and escape from the police.

There used to be a club in the East mids made up of ex-racers, they felt racing had gotten too expensive, so they used their race bikes to bait the police into a chase, that was their hobby.

So it's not THAT hard to get-away from the police on a modern or even older sportsbike if your cool, calm and able to ride well, throw in the congestion in London and you've made things a LOT easier

Not that i'm condoning that of course, the guy was a jerk riding at that speed in that area, never mind the wheelie, so anyone trying to evade to police is a even bigger jerk, my point is that it does happen and it's really difficult on something like the bike shown.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Tell you what, the Police horses in Glasgow have rubber shoes and they can sneek up on you. It makes you jump when the first thing you know about 1100lbs of horse flesh behind you is the breath from it on the back of your neck. And I wasn't even doing anything wrong. Lovely beasts, the large mounted horse charge up the next village overs main street during the G8 was a site to behold.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
LOL. Have you ever tried to read the rag number on a motorcycle going past at 100mph? Or see the driver's face? (which in addition to the speed, is covered by the helmet)

I don't need to, with the quality of CCTV/ANPR technology in London these days it will be done for me. Not even Valentino Rossi can ride through London at 100mph constantly

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
There has been a crack down since i left the UK, back in the 90's it was rare to see a motorbike with anything even resembling a full sized plate.

I've still come across jackets strategically draped over the number plate, number plates moved to positions that are difficult to read, or no number plate at all.
The other thing is IF you think it's likely your going to do a runner why on earth would you have the bike registered under your name anyways.

I agree your theory works for 99% of us responsible bikers, but the number plate is no deterrent to someone that's willing to try and escape from the police.

There used to be a club in the East mids made up of ex-racers, they felt racing had gotten too expensive, so they used their race bikes to bait the police into a chase, that was their hobby.

So it's not THAT hard to get-away from the police on a modern or even older sportsbike if your cool, calm and able to ride well, throw in the congestion in London and you've made things a LOT easier

Not that i'm condoning that of course, the guy was a jerk riding at that speed in that area, never mind the wheelie, so anyone trying to evade to police is a even bigger jerk, my point is that it does happen and it's really difficult on something like the bike shown.

Lol, theres not been that much of a crackdown, crotch rockets with small plates/indicator etc still proliferate....

I agree, someone that has thought it through and is prepared will prove to be difficult to trace/catch etc. But thats no different to any other sort of crime, its generally the stupid criminals that get caught, the really clever one's never come to notice ;-)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't need to, with the quality of CCTV/ANPR technology in London these days it will be done for me. Not even Valentino Rossi can ride through London at 100mph constantly

That's the thing though. If he's riding at an appropriate speed (one slow enough for the camera to catch a readable number) then there's no justifiable reason to prosecute. On the other hand, id he's riding at a faster speed, he's untraceable. The only link you'd have is the one photo of a blur of Brand X bike with the rider wearing a coat and helmet of a given color speeding through one camera, and later a bike and rider of a similar description a couple of blocks away at a legal speed where the camera can record the number. Probably the same bike, but the evidence is only circumstantial.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Who mentioned photo's?

I'm talking about CCTV that can track vehicles/people etc across quite large distances. This has and will continue to prove to be of more than sufficient evidential value.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Who mentioned photo's?

I'm talking about CCTV that can track vehicles/people etc across quite large distances. This has and will continue to prove to be of more than sufficient evidential value.

Too many spy movies my friend, in reality getting different CCTV footage streamed to follow someone is not possible.
If you have a talented operator then it may be feasible for a short while if there is sufficient cameras, what happens when they ride out of the area covered by that control room though?

As i say it looks great in movies, in reality though it's just not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE