Mounted policeman tells off motorcyclist :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Too many spy movies my friend, in reality getting different CCTV footage streamed to follow someone is not possible.
If you have a talented operator then it may be feasible for a short while if there is sufficient cameras, what happens when they ride out of the area covered by that control room though?

As i say it looks great in movies, in reality though it's just not possible.

Remind me what makes you an expert on this, please? Patronise me some more....

I have seen it done, it is done quite regularly with cars, bikes, people etc....

It normally only requires a short piece of footgae. As I said previously, he will have to slow down (in central London) regularly, which will make it possible to capture his numberplate.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece

I have seen it done, it is done quite regularly with cars, bikes, people etc....

It normally only requires a short piece of footgae. As I said previously, he will have to slow down (in central London) regularly, which will make it possible to capture his numberplate.

I will bow out now, as you tone is coming across as extremely confrontational and to be honest, it's not something i care enough to argue about

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Calm down folks.

4ehjvEP.png

:)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

I would agree with this.

Look at what has happened post London riots with lots of people being caught who were masked up while doing the dirty but later spotted on other cameras and linked together.....

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I would agree with this.

Look at what has happened post London riots with lots of people being caught who were masked up while doing the dirty but later spotted on other cameras and linked together.....

Only thing i would point out Stew is that there is a vast difference between keeping eyes on a person walking than there is a person travelling at high speed on a motorbike.

Lets say a person takes off on foot, at best the average bloke will at what 5mph, how far could the average person run, say 5 miles if that?
So you've got 1 hour, you have time to select other cameras, even if they take a turn the operator has the time needed to put that camera in position and move it to follow the subject, they might even be able to zoom in.

Now think that the operator needs to find a small motorbike in a heavy traffic area like London, not only will they have to search through all the cars, behind buses, trucks, vans etc, there will also be other motorbikes, scooters and pushbikes to search through, would the average CCTV operator know a GSXR1000 from say a CBR600?
What about a GSXR1000 from a GSXR600?

My bet is most would be on the lookout for a white and blue sportsbike, it's not like you could zoom in on a bike travelling at anything over 20mph to get the number plate.

Just did a search and found this image

gty_london_surveillance_cameras_jp_120223_wmain.jpg

IF the bike is in a area that has a camera and is travelling at high speed, it's speed would be a obvious give away, what happens if he slows down to the same speed as the traffic in a dark area though?

Plus as i said what happens when the person goes into a area that has a different control room, or goes out of camera?

Even then it's unless the biker lives in the square mile, there is no way the CCTV will be able to follow him to his home, so all you'll have is a rough idea of the direction he was going when you lost him.

Last thing i'll say on this is, just look at what the police use now to try and catch suspects in or on vehicles, they use helicopters.
There is a good reason for this, it's because it's impossible to trail and direct police to a vehicle travelling at high speed using CCTV cameras.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Too many spy movies my friend, in reality getting different CCTV footage streamed to follow someone is not possible.
If you have a talented operator then it may be feasible for a short while if there is sufficient cameras, what happens when they ride out of the area covered by that control room though?

As i say it looks great in movies, in reality though it's just not possible.
They don't need streaming and it doesn't rely on people watching screens.

ANPR is in widespread use in the UK and has been for many years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police-enforced_ANPR_in_the_UK

I had the pleasure of meeting one of the main engineers who wrote the visual recognition software. Very smart and articulate young lady, currently a research fellow at Loughborough University I believe.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Only thing i would point out Stew is that there is a vast difference between keeping eyes on a person walking than there is a person travelling at high speed on a motorbike.

Lets say a person takes off on foot, at best the average bloke will at what 5mph, how far could the average person run, say 5 miles if that?
So you've got 1 hour, you have time to select other cameras, even if they take a turn the operator has the time needed to put that camera in position and move it to follow the subject, they might even be able to zoom in.

Now think that the operator needs to find a small motorbike in a heavy traffic area like London, not only will they have to search through all the cars, behind buses, trucks, vans etc, there will also be other motorbikes, scooters and pushbikes to search through, would the average CCTV operator know a GSXR1000 from say a CBR600?
What about a GSXR1000 from a GSXR600?

My bet is most would be on the lookout for a white and blue sportsbike, it's not like you could zoom in on a bike travelling at anything over 20mph to get the number plate.

Just did a search and found this image

gty_london_surveillance_cameras_jp_120223_wmain.jpg

IF the bike is in a area that has a camera and is travelling at high speed, it's speed would be a obvious give away, what happens if he slows down to the same speed as the traffic in a dark area though?

Plus as i said what happens when the person goes into a area that has a different control room, or goes out of camera?

Even then it's unless the biker lives in the square mile, there is no way the CCTV will be able to follow him to his home, so all you'll have is a rough idea of the direction he was going when you lost him.

Last thing i'll say on this is, just look at what the police use now to try and catch suspects in or on vehicles, they use helicopters.
There is a good reason for this, it's because it's impossible to trail and direct police to a vehicle travelling at high speed using CCTV cameras.

I never said they kept eyes on people. I'm talking about the piecing together they did later, pulling footage from different cameras. I'm not suggesting it's easy but it does happen. I've had provided footage from our work cctv to the police for crimes that have happened off site for them to piece movements together. We have a nice camera that does nothing but number plates as well.....

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
They don't need streaming and it doesn't rely on people watching screens.

ANPR is in widespread use in the UK and has been for many years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police-enforced_ANPR_in_the_UK

I had the pleasure of meeting one of the main engineers who wrote the visual recognition software. Very smart and articulate young lady, currently a research fellow at Loughborough University I believe.

What ANPR is good for is recording the numbers of vehicles in a relatively static location, such as whilst at a filling station, to record those who drive off without paying, at tollbooths, and on bus gates.

Even then they don't catch everybody. I remember panicking after driving through a bus lane in Sheffield as I could not find any way to get to where I was going. Never got the letter through the post I had been anticipating.

ANPR will track motorists as they pass through static points, but it will tell you nothing about there overall route between, or how fast they were actually travelling, that has to be done by deduction.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As Sandbender said in Post #25, can we calm it down a little folks. I know we get bored and terse when the nights draw in but no need to get antsy with each other.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan

I might have met the same lady, while I was working at the company who made some of the hardware and imaging libraries. The ANPR system (or a version of it) was written using Matrox Imaging Library - the same stuff behind the 'hawkeye' system. It is easily capable of reading and recognising license plates that are doing 100+ mph.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
You still have given your credentials?

I haven't been asked for them, but have posted them on previous threads. But for the sake of clarity; I am a detective in the Met Police in London.As such I have used CCTV evidence on numerous occasions and am well versed in it's capabilities and limitations....

Where did you work? Do you miss it?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Where did you work? Do you miss it?

With two different Sheriff's departments (Okaloosa County SO, and Santa Rosa County SO) There are occasions when I do miss it, but they're rare. However, there's not a day goes by that I don't miss the military. Over twenty-one years service including three years in a reconnaissance squadron.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE