Mounted policeman tells off motorcyclist :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Dunno, you couldn't get a vehicle to 80mph at the point it's located so never been tested.

Yeah, they work great in parking lots and at gas pumps (security cams) But the whole point of getting the tag number on the motorcycle is his unsafe driving; usually involves excessive speed among other things.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This is a road.

I apologize for editing after you replied. I suspect we posted close to simultaneously.

Maybe it is a road, but apparently it's not one where high speeds are likely; thus my comparison to a parking lot (slow speed driving)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
They don't need streaming and it doesn't rely on people watching screens.

ANPR is in widespread use in the UK and has been for many years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police-enforced_ANPR_in_the_UK

I had the pleasure of meeting one of the main engineers who wrote the visual recognition software. Very smart and articulate young lady, currently a research fellow at Loughborough University I believe.

Must have been really interesting, where on earth would you even start on a project like that :eek:

It's all a bit of a blur, but i think we talked about ANPR not being of any use if the bike didn't have a number plate or it was hidden/covered.

May sound a bit pedantic, but in my experience so far if someone is setting out with the intention of breaking the law then they'll do what they can to "get around" speed cameras and the like.

I never said they kept eyes on people. I'm talking about the piecing together they did later, pulling footage from different cameras. I'm not suggesting it's easy but it does happen. I've had provided footage from our work cctv to the police for crimes that have happened off site for them to piece movements together. We have a nice camera that does nothing but number plates as well.....

In that case i agree Stew it's entirely possible given enough time and resources.

After the bombings in 2005 it was absolutely amazing how the security services were able to patch together the murderers steps from various CCTV, cameras and even cell phone cameras.

In the case of our imaginary biker though i don't know as it'd do any good if they weren't able to ID him

This is what i hate about the current system.
30 years ago you'd have police on the streets, they would be able to make judgement calls, if a car being driven erratically, no seatbelt, speeding inappropriately, dangerous driving all things they would use their judgement on if to the pull the driver and take it from there.

Cameras will snap you speeding, or the odd twonk that drives the wrong way down the motorway, but only long long AFTER the offence has occurred.

How many lives were saved by police pulling someone up they suspected was drunk and getting them off the road, traffic cameras are absolutely useless for that.

Drive 25mph past a school at 03:00am and you'll get the ticket, drive down the local dual carriageway at 63mph with the road covered in ice and no pic.

More police on the ground and less cameras please goodjob

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The same pic that they use to issue the ticket should be time & date stamped to show when the offense occurred.

Doesn't make any difference what time it is mate, 25mph in a 20mph and you'll get a ticket i the mail.

Doesn't matter if it's clear, wide road and perfect conditions.
In the old days the police wouldn't have stopped you, they'd have used their experience to gauge if you're driving safely and would have made a judgement call.

Cameras don't have judgement, they are just set to activate at a certain speed, and that they do.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Doesn't make any difference what time it is mate, 25mph in a 20mph and you'll get a ticket i the mail......

Must be the difference in the law there vs here. Here the 20mph in a school zone (elementary schools) 25mph (middle or high schools) only applies during school hours (and for about a half hour before and after to allow for arriving/departing traffic) Basically, whenever the School Zone lights are flashing. Outside those hours the speed limits revert to the normal limits for the area.

Much the same way that laws doubling of fines for speeding in a posted construction zone only apply during the hours the workmen are actually present.

An automated camera might result in a ticket being mailed if somebody doesn't catch the time of the incident before mailing; but if you dispute it in court, the time/date stamp would be prima facie evidence that it occurred outside the time said limit was in force.

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Bloke gets the throttle past the rusty spot, gets a telling off from Dibble, apologises. Took a lot less time and effort than has gone into five pages of arguments about it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I saw this video on another forum and it was generally well received, the officer was polite et al. Here on BCUK there seems to be the usual dogs with a bone posting and who seem unable to stop chomping.

Give it a blooming rest for crying out loud.

Dog and bone.jpg

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Bloke gets the throttle past the rusty spot, gets a telling off from Dibble, apologises. Took a lot less time and effort than has gone into five pages of arguments about it.

Well said

Ps miserable wheelie as well,, my best was about 4 miles on my zrx 1200r Lawson rep :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Who's arguing about the OP?

I saw this video on another forum and it was generally well received, the officer was polite et al. Here on BCUK there seems to be the usual dogs with a bone posting and who seem unable to stop chomping....

Yep. That pretty much sums up the OP. Short, sweet, and a bit boring if left at that.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I saw this video on another forum and it was generally well received, the officer was polite et al. Here on BCUK there seems to be the usual dogs with a bone posting and who seem unable to stop chomping.

Give it a blooming rest for crying out loud.

Mate, the whole point of a forum is to discuss things.
As said it'd be a bit boring if everyone agreed and said as much with 5 words.

End of the day it's up to the admin/mods to decide if the posts are appropriate, if they feel they are then it's 100% your choice to read them or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE