Mountain Rescue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Mountain Rescue Needs Your Help!

The Mountain Rescue Team has to pay VAT on what they purchase and it is our view that this negates the important work that they do!

A petition has been set up and submitted to Number 10 to ensure that this is put right. Click the link below to sign the petition.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/MRSERVICE/

It is estimated that the combined efforts of the 50+ teams in the organisation save the tax payer in excess of £6 million per annum. The police have the statutory responsibility for missing persons yet lack the resources to search for them. If they had to find the resources they would have to take police officers off their normal duties, making the streets less safe.

The task of searching is often sub-contracted to MR teams, hence the saving to us tax payers. Not all searches are for mountaineers. Increasingly MR teams are called out to search rural and urban areas for elderly persons suffering from dementia, missing children and adults determined to self harm. MR teams played pivotal rolls at Lockerbie, the Chinese cockling tragedy on Morecambe bay and the Virgin trains derailment in Cumbria.

The MR service is appealing to government to excuse them of VAT in return for the savings they offer. It is estimated that the combined VAT bill of the 50 teams is approximately £200,000. This would make a tremendous boost to their collective finances. To date government are not listening, hence the petition.

Every MR team functions purely on the generosity of individuals, organisations and businesses in their own area to supply the service they provide. None of them receive any guaranteed funding whatsoever. The majority of them are registered charities.

Please Take A Minute And Make A Difference

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/MRSERVICE/

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
signed, although it would be nice to have this extended to all charities.
Well in theory yes, I'd agree, but many charities are just money holes. There was a documentary many years ago .. Panarama? Which showed how in some so called charities as little as 1p - thats one pence - per pound was actually used for the purpose. The rest was taken up in wages and administration. So sorry if I am a little jaded at charities in general but, I hate can shaking people on the streets. I am a fully grown adult and have been for many years I am very capable of picking up a phone or writing a cheque without someone trying to pull on my heart strings. Sorry rant over.

The Mountain rescue do a wonderful job, and it's a shocking display of the UKS governent that this along with the likes of RNLI are not funded by them.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Signed and i totally agree , these guys and girls do a fantastic job and an organisation that operates using volenteers as this one does, shouldnt be hit for VAT . A very worthy cause nice one chaps!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE