motorcycles and bushcraft/hunting trips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
the previous air rifle thead has got me thinking (yes yes bit late for that sort of thing i know). this summer my brothers and i are planning on taking a few trips out on the bikes, now kit wise theres no real issues with caring kit but rifles are an other issue , rifle bags wont be much help as we'll have rucksacks and i personally dont think there secure enough. now i know the army have solid rifle boxs but none of our rifles will fit in them so does anyone know of a similar item that would be more suitable
many thanks
lee

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
What about one of the rifle boxes fitted to some ex-army bikes - the Armstrong/Rotax machines. They look pretty solid but I haen't looked at how they mount.

Richard

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Lee, you've mentioned a thread that was closed on the grounds that it became too extreme. I wonder if you are deliberately opening this thread to run along the same lines.
The idea of taking any sort of rifle into an area where you do not have express permission to take game is tantamount to announcing that you intend to commit armed trespass - the charge is the same whether the gun in question is an AK47 or an air rifle.

I suggest that you re-read the forum rules and perhaps any number of official guidelines on camping, motorcycling and shooting that you can find. After that time, please consider your future on BushcraftUK before you make another post that so attracts the attention of the moderating team.

Yours

Ogri the trog
Forum Moderator

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
Lee, you've mentioned a thread that was closed on the grounds that it became too extreme. I wonder if you are deliberately opening this thread to run along the same lines.
The idea of taking any sort of rifle into an area where you do not have express permission to take game is tantamount to announcing that you intend to commit armed trespass - the charge is the same whether the gun in question is an AK47 or an air rifle.

I suggest that you re-read the forum rules and perhaps any number of official guidelines on camping, motorcycling and shooting that you can find. After that time, please consider your future on BushcraftUK before you make another post that so attracts the attention of the moderating team.

Yours

Ogri the trog
Forum Moderator
my apologies, ive no intention to follow on the same lines as before. the area were intending to go to is one which we have express permission to hunt/shot on from the land owner and we are fully aware of the legal ramifications of straying beyond the law. my only intention is to gain advice and i apologise if my actions are taken otherwise
lee

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Hmmmm. Certainly no intent to transgress. I have to move my own guns about occasionally, usually by car, but have a number of motorycles and have yet to think how I would move them in those circumstances.

I hope to be qcquiring a muzzle loader fairly soon that will measure 56". Which is bl***y long however you carry it.

Richard

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
thats the same problem i have , unfortunately the military items ar too short and the wrong shape . however the mounting system does seem to be fairly substansial so the intension is to purchace one and go from there. i did think about making one but my skills with plastics are nowhere near good enough and metal, although nice and strong , i feel will be far to heavy to have on the front of my bike.
lee

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Capped plastic drain pipe somehow bolted to the bike? But I wouldn't want to get stopped for speeding while I had it attached.

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
Capped plastic drain pipe somehow bolted to the bike? But I wouldn't want to get stopped for speeding while I had it attached.

good suggestion mate it would need to be al least 8"s in diameter though and as youve mentioned capping, and as a result security would be something to look into. speeding is something i try not to do but as we all know it can be somewhat difficult at time not to what with down hill slops , not paying enough attention etc. my main concern with transporting such items is security and bikes are definately not the most secure modes of transport out there but in too short a time my bike will be my main form of transport so a sencible and legal solution is a must or ill be limited t when i can get the car off the better half

lee

Lee,

As a fellow air gunner (and biker) I sympathise with your plight. However, in this regard I think discretion is definitely the better part of valour. Air rifles, like knives, are an emotive issue with the public at large - and even to some members of this forum (although less so with knives it would seem).

I would hope that no member here would deem it appropriate to browse the aisles at Sainsbury's with his or her full set of sharps hanging from their belts, similarly we have to be ultra discreet as an air rifle looks more like an offensive weapon than the hunting tool that it actually is.

Unfortunately for us - whatever case you put the rifle in looks like...well...a gun case. The hard plastic cases attached to military motorbikes are designed for the rifle 5.56 (or SA80) and will be too small for your purposes.

Unless you can invest in a take down rifle like the Air Arms S410 TDR which can be discreetly carried in a rucksack then my advice is do what I do - bite the bullet (no pun intended) and leave the bike at home. Transport the rifle to your shoot in the locked boot of a car and carry the written landowners permission on your person.

Ride safe and good shooting!

Fin

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
Lee,

As a fellow air gunner (and biker) I sympathise with your plight. However, in this regard I think discretion is definitely the better part of valour. Air rifles, like knives, are an emotive issue with the public at large - and even to some members of this forum (although less so with knives it would seem).

I would hope that no member here would deem it appropriate to browse the aisles at Sainsbury's with his or her full set of sharps hanging from their belts, similarly we have to be ultra discreet as an air rifle looks more like an offensive weapon than the hunting tool that it actually is.

Unfortunately for us - whatever case you put the rifle in looks like...well...a gun case. The hard plastic cases attached to military motorbikes are designed for the rifle 5.56 (or SA80) and will be too small for your purposes.

Unless you can invest in a take down rifle like the Air Arms S410 TDR which can be discreetly carried in a rucksack then my advice is do what I do - bite the bullet (no pun intended) and leave the bike at home. Transport the rifle to your shoot in the locked boot of a car and carry the written landowners permission on your person.

Ride safe and good shooting!

Fin

very very well said that man. given the choise i will most certainly be in a car as it is far more preferable and secure. i always make double sure to have the premission in writting upon my person along with imeidiate contact details for the land owner. your right though mate a gun case is always going to like just as it is. i have toyed with converting my s200 into a take down as they arnt that large to start with and would allow the use of a smaller case/box to be used. as said this is always a concern not just for shooting but with sharps as well
lee

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Have you looked at somethng like this http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=312940&ClassID=231? You need one of these as well http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=312941&ClassID=231 . We use these (http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=417704&ClassID=258) on the estate quads for carrying centrefire rifles (with mods on some) about. Quite quick to access, a big advantage when a fox runs out infront of the quad! And also no way it can bounce out. Though if your on public roads, at least busy ones, Ide go for the first option as its a bit more "pikey proof"

Hope it helps

Sam

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
fantastic find mate that first one is spot on. the mount is priced abit steep but there are alternatives, excellent stuffgoodjob
lee

Lee,

I'm going to pre-empt the mods here and refer you again to the following thread:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53186

Sam gave you some links to possible solutions but he qualified it by saying that he used this method on "estate quads" - not on public roads.

It's an unfortunate fact that the public at large are alarmed by the presence of knives and guns and we owe it to the survival of our pastime to be courteous by not outwardly displaying the tools of our trade, as it were.

On to biking... I am an experienced (and still alive) biker - I've road raced, I've track raced and I've (very) long distanced toured and one thing I've learned is that Sod's Law clearly dictates that Mr Plod will pull you over when you least want him to. It's a fact of life that most bikers get pulled over in the summer (hunting season?) because thats when a lot of us get killed on public roads. Thankfully, nowadays, if ever I get pulled over - it's normally by a motorcycle policeman who just wants to talk "bikes", I get some top tips on road riding (they are the experts after all) and I get to go on my way.

If you get pulled with a filled gun case modification on your bike - I can pretty much guarantee that the conversation is not going to go your way! (you need to explore the MOT and insurance laws on this as well).

Believe me mate, I have explored this to the n'th degree and it's a non starter for public roads - I'll say again unless you can conceal your rifle in a rucksack sized pack (and I would suggest that modifying an S200 is going to reduce the accuracy of a very fine rifle) then don't go there - biking and air rifling do not mix unless you have a TDR (I can't bear to part with my Theoben .20 MFR - so car it is!)

Regards

Fin

Jan 8, 2010
St Neots, Cambs
You could always go for a gun case that doesn't look so obvious -

http://www.fieldandgun.co.uk/Product-Detail.aspx?id=1051

You could make a mounting bracket fairly easily, have it like a large pannier. The case locks, I'd also make sure that it is locked to the bracket too.

Put a trigger lock on too, carry written permission for the land you're going to & you should be OK.

As long as the rifle is in an opaque case and is secured you should be OK (not guaranteeing it though).

Or as said above - just take the car!!

Rgds,

Chalky

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE