Motorcycle Touring - What Do You Use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm about to go down the rabbit hole of motorbike touring. I'm after hints and tips regarding what kit I should be carrying e.g. what maintenance kit and what camping kit do you carry? Hard panniers or soft? Do you use bushcraft skills on your trips?

My bikes are a Suzuki SV650, Yamaha XT225, Honda Grom and Yamaha YBR125.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Hi from a fellow biker ;)

I recently started doing around 250 mile trips a day and plan on staying overnights on my next rides. I was doing it on my XT225 too !

But … first suggestion I would make is to sell a couple of bikes and buy one more suited to the job. It’s hard work on a small capacity bike .. and on a bike with sporty ergo’s.

As you have a SV650 now, if you like that engine, why not get a Vstrom 650 ? Great touring bike. With very good fuel consumption.

I was torn between a VStrom and a CB500X and went for the Honda based purely on the fact that it regularly does 95mpg ! Either would be great anyway.

For luggage I use a Givi Monokey top box to put valuable items in and soft luggage elsewhere. I don’t fancy getting my legs trapped with hard panniers in the result of an off.

For tools I carry :
Wera Tool Check Plus
Knipex small pump pliers
Set of Allen keys
Short adjustable spanner capable of largest nut on bike (probably me lol)
Cable ties
Piece of paracord

Whatever … I hope you have a great time !

Reactions: Watch-keeper

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
One thing I always carried was a piece of wood to put under the center stand or side stand, after digging them into soft ground a few times and/or the bike keeling over you soon learn! I'm sure there are specially made attachments for this but the bit of wood I carried always did the job fine.

Reactions: Stew

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" One thing I always carried was a piece of wood to put under the center stand or side stand, after digging them into soft ground "

100% agree.
I use a 6x4 inch piece of light steel plate. Attach it to a length of paracord and loop the end over the handlebars so that when you leave it's easy to haul it up, rather that forget it. A bit like the disc lock reminder cable idea.

I've been doing a lot of Scooter camping this year. Swopped the M/C for a Scooter for ease of getting on off following leg injuries.

For me, part of the fun is using the B and back roads to get to places ( Wales and West Midlands mostly) I don't believe you need a big engine bike unless you use the Motorways all the time, even then my 350cc Scoot will cruise at 70+ easily, but for me life moves slower at 80 years and I'm done with whizzing about.

Unless your personal admin and planning is all to pot you don't need 20 litres of fuel in big heavy expensive cans dangling off your bike either, unless you're bound across the Attacama Desert. :thumbsup:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE