Most popular knife?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1143
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 1143

hello everybody!

I am on the look-out at the moment for a new knife :)

Could you kind people tell me what is the most popular bushcraft knife for under 40 squid?

thanks, Jack

leon-1

jackrim1 said:
hello everybody!

Could you kind people tell me what is the most popular bushcraft knife for under 40 squid?

thanks, Jack

They are quite new, but have a large following growing and that is the SCANDI PACK PAL, basic model is 01 tool steel with a number of different handle options (materials) $45 plus shipping effectively for just over £30 you can have a very nice little knife with just about any option of handle material, mosaic pins sheath and firesteel loop options that you want.

Hand made by Allan Blade in america (the £30 is inclusive of shipping). :eek:):

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
jackrim1 said:
hello everybody!

thanks, Jack
As tomtom says, a mora blade. Cheap but better than you might think. :) I'm getting materials home soon to do a knife, total cost for wood block and blade was around £29. Though this could be bought much cheaper. £2: wood block, £3 mora blade. :wink:

leon-1

CanRanger said:
Some peope preffer the M2K as well from Eriksson.

Yes that is true, and I have a lot of respect for the Mora blades, they are superb, just from recent experience the Allan Blade is far better.

I have a couple of Allan Blades that I use (the review on the field Trek will take at least a year as will the proper review on the the Ingram 6 that I have), all I can say is that for the cost and the quality that you get the Blade scandi packpal is very good and better than any production model that I have seen .

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
This article on the BCUK main site was written by Gary and it made me buy one, and I couldn't be happier.
I tried to copy the link but it wouldn't work. So here's the article in whole.

The perfect bush/utility knife.
Lapp Puukko

Length – blade 4 inches Overall 8.5"
Weight - 3.5 oz

The oldest question asked by outdoors folk is ‘what’s the best survival knife?’ And the oldest reply is "The one you have with you."

This is, of course, true. An emergency situation by its very nature, comes about when we are least prepared for it – but the wise woodsman always has his possibles secured about his person and this should include his knife.

With this in mind, 99% of the time (air travel excluded) we can be fairly well prepared and as such carry a good quality knife of our own choosing. Up until recently that would have been the Woodlore knife, which is the bench mark by which I rate all other knives.

Over a month ago I ordered a Lapp Puukko from an American company called Kellam Knives Co based in Florida. Their speedy service was excellent and said tool was in my sticky little mitts in less than two weeks.

Upon opening the package I was immediately impressed by the Puukko’s sleek profile and workman like appearance, the carbon blade having a blackened surface to protect it – and yes it was razor sharp out of the box.

First impression’s were good, and so without any further time wasting and no addition sharpening, I hot footed it off to my local woods and easily carved myself a spoon. I say easily because the tool is a pleasure to use. Now I was really impressed, especially as out of the box the blade has a small secondary bevel which isn’t recommended for carving.

On arriving home I got out the stones and ground off the slight secondary bevel – this was a chore but proved the quality of the steel used and I believe the knife to be of such quality that it was worth it.
Usually at this point I’d have selected a second piece of wood, carved a second spoon, tested the edge and started to write the review. But this time things were different, I knew I had found a knife to rival all others in performance and value, I decided to test it further.

On a second visit to the forest I carved the obligatory spoon. Then, fancying a harder task, selected a few, well seasoned branches from a fallen beech and decided to carve the frame for a buck saw. Again the knife was more than up to the task.

Now I was really impressed, and on arrival home I even used it to peel the potatoes for dinner and carve the Sunday joint.

As you can see this knife has utility written all over it and in spite of a hard days carving in the forest and in the kitchen it was still razor sharp.
But I still wasn’t ready to write the review, it needed more testing. Fortunately I was about to run a weekend bushcraft course at the end of the week and so I decided to put it through its paces then. My confidence in the Puukko was such, that I didn’t even consider carrying a back up.

The course was a great success and during the weekend the knife earned its spurs many times over as it was used for every single task. It carved feather sticks and the mechanisms for snares, it split fire wood and showered sparks when used for the fire lighting demo. I used it when I prepared meals and when I gathered cordage materials. During the butchery demo and lecture, it handled excellently. The birch handle was totally controllable even with hands that were cover in fish slime and blood.

I wasn’t the only one impressed. One of my students, a scout leader and survival instructor was heard to comment that he could not believe my knife had done so many tasks, without being re-sharpened and still retained its edge. He was even more impressed when at the end of the course I was still able to shave the hairs off my arm.

To my mind this knife easily earned itself a 10/10 rating but up until then I had only tested the Carbon steel version. Nothing if not thorough, I ordered the stainless version.

Again Kellam Knives Co ensured that the knife reached me very quickly. I withdrew the knife from its sheath to see the brightly polish stainless blade, and again I was impressed by the quality of these tool’s.

After testing the stainless Puukko, I can report that it is equally as good as its carbon steel brother, possibly more so. It too will cast a shower of sparks when used with a fire steel but unlike the carbon blade it will not rust (a bonus if you work around water for long periods).

The knives are manufactured by Iisakki Jarvenpaa, one of Finland’s oldest makers of traditional knives. The blades are tempered to a near perfect 57 -58 Rockwell C and are engraved with his signature. They come with a good quality, un-dyed, leather sheath (which takes a dye easily and will also benefit from a coat or two of Neats foot oil)
They are so reasonably priced, ($29.50 for the Carbon and $32.50 for the Stainless), that I’d advise ordering two. One of carbon steel - one of stainless, that way you can select which tool to use depending on your environment and needs.

Conclusion

This is, without a doubt, the finest and most economically priced field utility knife I have ever used in 20 years of living and working in the outdoors, both as a soldier and a woodman. It is comfortable to wear and use. The blade shape makes carving not only a breeze but also very controlled and safe and for butchering I can not fault it either.
At less than £20, with approx £6.50 postage, it is exceptional value for money and earns itself an unqualified 10/10.

Ratings

Quality of workmanship – 9/10
Edge retention – 10/10
Utility uses – 10/10
Cost – 10/10

Total – 10/10

GW

The UK distributor - www.thetradingpost.co.uk item code J 5226 and please mention this article when ordering.

D

Deleted member 1143

My current blade is the Mora training knife from raymears.com

I've been looking at the stainless lapp pukko for a while, basically becuase of the review on the bushcraftuk site. Despite this I still have the feeling that it looks a little delicate - yes I know about the test video as well!

The scandi pack pal is sounding quite interesting. Has anyone got a link for the Allan Blade website?

So here's the question, which is the better all round knife - lapp pukko vs. pack pal...seconds out, round 1, fight!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
jackrim1 said:
The scandi pack pal is sounding quite interesting. Has anyone got a link for the Allan Blade website?

Allen is a member so look in the memberslist for his webpage or it is part of his signature on his posts.

Bill

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
To change tack slightly; I've largely ignored previous posts about the F1, but I can't help becoming more curious. What is the F1 good for and what sheath option is recommended?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE