Morris billhook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 27, 2015
Pembroke
I have carried an axe for years, and as I'm getting older I find that carrying heavy stuff is getting harder. So I swapped my axe for this Morris billhook. Be perfect for chopping, splitting and I am hoping with care can also be used as a draw knife? So a multi purpose tool. Made a simple plywood sheath to keep my kit protected while in my bag. It is super sharp.
28hzwx4.jpg

nvpoax.jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looks like quite a nice billhook mate. :)

I've always found them to be pretty decent and versatile. But that depends on the blade shape.

The hooked tip does get in the way though, especially when whittling a project on a work stump. The tip gets stuck and only the first section of the blade is of any use. I used to use them as draw knives too, the straighter the main edge is the easier it is, but even with shape and curves it's no big deal.

Imo their best attribute is their compact size and heft. They aren't as good a chhopper as an axe or as good a slasher as a machete but they work well and pack a punch!

Good shout on the scabbard, much safer than a soft sheath. If that one breaks or you want to try another, have a pop at making one from plastic gutter pipe. All you need is some pipe, a hacksaw and an oven! :)

(If you need any help, tips or advice on sharpening or refurbishing the billhook feel free to pm me. I've restored boxes of them over the years.)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've got a Morris bill hook too, bought via Jack here many years ago after he extolled the virtues of the bill hook over the axe for uk use. He's right - it's a great tool!

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Can't fault a billhook and that is a nice one. I particularly like the Knighton that Morris make, for its flatness, and also their riving iron. Affordable, useful. :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You ask about using the billhook as a draw knife. Not the greatest.
The problem is that the billhook edge has a bevel on both sides so it won't "ride" on the wood as easily as a single bevel does..
I expect that it will tend to dive in quite easily.
You should be able to learn to use it as a draw knife with some practice.
The time of year and thus how tight the bark is will have some bearing on performance.

I use a Stubai drawknife to peel the sapwood off large pieces of western red cedar for carvings.
Must admit that being able to use both hands to steer the blade is another advantage.

You will be cutting with pull strokes.
If/when that blade jumps out of the wood, it's coming towards you very quickly.
Better make a defensive plan right now.

Reactions: Billy-o

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You ask about using the billhook as a draw knife. Not the greatest.
The problem is that the billhook edge has a bevel on both sides so it won't "ride" on the wood as easily as a single bevel does..
I expect that it will tend to dive in quite easily.
You should be able to learn to use it as a draw knife with some practice.
The time of year and thus how tight the bark is will have some bearing on performance.

I use a Stubai drawknife to peel the sapwood off large pieces of western red cedar for carvings.
Must admit that being able to use both hands to steer the blade is another advantage.

You will be cutting with pull strokes.
If/when that blade jumps out of the wood, it's coming towards you very quickly.
Better make a defensive plan right now.

Most billhooks I've seen, owned and used have been single beveled/chisel ground. Proper hedge laying is much easier with a single bevel/chisel grind but obviously plenty with a normal grind exist (and are my preferred as I haven't layed hedges in years!).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE