Morakniv ash wood outdoor knife collection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
I'd just like to add, I don't think Mora has overpriced these. I believe that it's a well researched launch and campaign.

There's obviously data they have that says I) the market can bare this pricing, and ii) most people don't care about the steel used.

The storytelling thing they have going has been a buzzword in branding for years as a way to connect with people and get them invested emotionally, and the data obviously says that the green messaging is what people care about, that's why green washing is a thing.

I've been saying for a while that the data doesn't actually always align with behaviour. For example, I want to support sustainable farming, but I'm price sensitive and I prefer to have meat than not, so Tesco gets my business instead of the farm stall on Saturday.

The other thing is that I think I'm the only person I know who cares at all about knife steel. My whole family and friend group think I'm weird... There's more of them then there are of us... But you know what, they like hiking and camping too. Maybe they'll feel good about a high quality recycled steel knife to cut their bread and make a tent peg with? Maybe they don't care.

The big takeout for me here is that the people on this forum aren't the target market for this knife, but some will buy it anyway because we decide with our hearts. (If we're meant to be the target market someone screwed up pretty badly)

Mora is expanding it's audience with this and I find it very interesting to see if it's a success or not from a strategic point of view.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Available for pre order at the Bath Bushcraft Store, the Lok looks great, but that price Mora Lok

No affiliation with the store, but they have been great to deal with when I have purchased from them in the past.

Reactions: R_Fonseca

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Available for pre order at the Bath Bushcraft Store, the Lok looks great, but that price Mora Lok

No affiliation with the store, but they have been great to deal with when I have purchased from them in the past.
Okay that is far more than I was expecting, at £210, particularly as it is £178 directly from mora

• Wow
Reactions: Brizzlebush

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In between Morakniv informed the clients that it's the same steel as always before.

Also the steel in most or all other Mora knives is recycled nowadays.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I'd just like to add, I don't think Mora has overpriced these. I believe that it's a well researched launch and campaign.

There's obviously data they have that says I) the market can bare this pricing, and ii) most people don't care about the steel used.

The storytelling thing they have going has been a buzzword in branding for years as a way to connect with people and get them invested emotionally, and the data obviously says that the green messaging is what people care about, that's why green washing is a thing.

I've been saying for a while that the data doesn't actually always align with behaviour. For example, I want to support sustainable farming, but I'm price sensitive and I prefer to have meat than not, so Tesco gets my business instead of the farm stall on Saturday.

The other thing is that I think I'm the only person I know who cares at all about knife steel. My whole family and friend group think I'm weird... There's more of them then there are of us... But you know what, they like hiking and camping too. Maybe they'll feel good about a high quality recycled steel knife to cut their bread and make a tent peg with? Maybe they don't care.

The big takeout for me here is that the people on this forum aren't the target market for this knife, but some will buy it anyway because we decide with our hearts. (If we're meant to be the target market someone screwed up pretty badly)

Mora is expanding it's audience with this and I find it very interesting to see if it's a success or not from a strategic point of view.
Who do you think the target market is? I'm skeptical that most people about to drop ~£200 on a 4 inch knife wouldn't have more than a passing interest in the specs of that knife. For a Mora Companion impulse purchased at a camping shop, sure, they probably don't care beyond carbon steel or stainless.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
you've got to admire the fact that they've been putting up on social media about how they've heard peoples complaints about the price, but then done nothing about it! :rolleyes:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Wonder if they release a cheaper version in the future like they did with the Eldris.
See no practical reason for blackening the blade, it's just for aesthetics for instance.

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
Who do you think the target market is? I'm skeptical that most people about to drop ~£200 on a 4 inch knife wouldn't have more than a passing interest in the specs of that knife. For a Mora Companion impulse purchased at a camping shop, sure, they probably don't care beyond carbon steel or stainless.
You know, I'm not 100 percent sure to be honest. I imagine there to be a style conscious demographic with money to burn.

Being careful of what I say because I don't want to cause offense, and I don't intend to because we all have our own ways and reasons for our hobbies. So...

Imagine the person with all Fjallraven gear, the best cooking sets and sleeping gear, a Gransfors SFK. But they get out once a year for a weekend. I think this person will buy it without thinking twice.

Then the person who walks into an outdoor store and says they want to start an activity and take what the guy behind the counter recommends... Who often doesn't know much themselves. Even with a bit of internet research this person would see years of people saying "buy a Mora"... The most expensive one must be the best right?

There also seem to be different types of bushcrafter social media types. Some who post interesting skills and some gear, others who post the latest and greatest knife pictures in front a campfire and lots in-between. I think the gear driven ones will buy... And influence others to buy.

If I had money laying around I'd consider one of these myself actually. I don't even bushcraft much. I spend most my outdoor time course fishing and I live in a town without easy access to woods I'm allowed to camp in. Yet I'd still buy if I had the money... I guess the target is the better off version of myself

Reactions: Kadushu

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I wouldn't buy a Mora knife that costs more than a Garberg but has a less good steel. For the price difference I would rather buy additional an ash wood chair or a few German or Austrian hatchets with ash handle.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
You know, I'm not 100 percent sure to be honest. I imagine there to be a style conscious demographic with money to burn.

Being careful of what I say because I don't want to cause offense, and I don't intend to because we all have our own ways and reasons for our hobbies. So...

Imagine the person with all Fjallraven gear, the best cooking sets and sleeping gear, a Gransfors SFK. But they get out once a year for a weekend. I think this person will buy it without thinking twice.

Then the person who walks into an outdoor store and says they want to start an activity and take what the guy behind the counter recommends... Who often doesn't know much themselves. Even with a bit of internet research this person would see years of people saying "buy a Mora"... The most expensive one must be the best right?

There also seem to be different types of bushcrafter social media types. Some who post interesting skills and some gear, others who post the latest and greatest knife pictures in front a campfire and lots in-between. I think the gear driven ones will buy... And influence others to buy.

If I had money laying around I'd consider one of these myself actually. I don't even bushcraft much. I spend most my outdoor time course fishing and I live in a town without easy access to woods I'm allowed to camp in. Yet I'd still buy if I had the money... I guess the target is the better off version of myself
As you said some will sell, but I don't think it will be the success they hoped, then they will have two choices....sell off slowly any remaining stock or drop the price.

What I am wondering, is are we seeing the first signs of Mora's complete range moving away from the affordable first, and / or hundred knife for all. To a more Condor knife and tool move, where they were quite affordable, and then doubled the price of the complete range.

Time will tell, but as those that appreciate blades as tools and art, I think that we have had the best of it, and down hill from here....?

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
We’re all still working off of the assumption that we will pay full RRP for these. When did you last pay full RRP for an item of outdoor gear, whatever it was? We don’t because the internet makes things so competitive for retailers. I anticipate within a few months these will be had for £60-£70 less than RRP and although this is probably still expensive for what it is, people (maybe even me) will buy them because they trust/admire the brand and have confidence in those tools.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
£190 for the Wit and cleaver.

That‘s a lot, especially when they don’t specify the steel.

I think they want to move upmarket, like Seiko did a few years ago.

Yep it is, I won't be buying one
Steel is the regular stuff
recycled is marketing for the hippie crowd

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
We’re all still working off of the assumption that we will pay full RRP for these. When did you last pay full RRP for an item of outdoor gear, whatever it was? We don’t because the internet makes things so competitive for retailers. I anticipate within a few months these will be had for £60-£70 less than RRP and although this is probably still expensive for what it is, people (maybe even me) will buy them because they trust/admire the brand and have confidence in those tools.
That was my original point, and in the case the opposite for the garberg upon release was £50 everywhere....then it went up to £100 for a time, and now it has settled to around £70 to £80.

I want these to be around £60 - £70, and yes I may buy one too, but I don't think that will happen, as the RRP is so high to start with.

I'll keep watching and see....

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I think if Mora released the Garberg today, with a leather sheath, made in Europe, you’d be looking at a RRP £150. It’s the world we live in now. I don’t think it’s worth that and I don’t think the new range is worth the RRP either but comparatively I’m not massively surprised that they’re asking for £200 whether we agree with it or not. Like I said, the price will become more competitive as time goes on and I’ll bet we’re all tempted eventually…

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
I was quite struck on the Romba until I saw the price. I am not shy of spending far more than this on a knife but not for something as basic as that. As far as the top line bushcrafter in this range, if you are prepared to pay £200 ish for that, I would save your pennies a little longer and invest in the work of the many excellent hand made knife makers we have on this fair isle.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
The Lok is already available at £175 (£35 below RRP) in the UK with free delivery. Possibly influenced by Morakniv or maybe just retailers already starting to compete.I anticipate this to come down further.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE