Morakniv ash wood outdoor knife collection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 6, 2023
Cumbria
Hi saw this video and thought Mora was trying to compete with BSP / Beavercaft knives.

I was shocked it the prices. Look very nice but can you pay £150-250 approx for a Mora when there are cheaper options?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nice

Though not sure why they've blackened the blades, if they are made from stainless steel.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023
Cumbria
Nice

Though not sure why they've blackened the blades, if they are made from stainless steel.
Not sure either and they quote recycled stainless but no grade

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The unspecified steel is perplexing. I like them and was quite excited until I saw the prices.

Reactions: Hawk.I.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Agreed, around the £140 to £180 mark, crazy price....I hope I made a mistake in the valuation?
Nope, you were pretty close with you conversion in prices.

I really like the look of them, especially the chefs knife but I'd have a long hard thought about buying one at those prices

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
i look at the price of a lot of the blades on here and wonder about the price people are prepared to pay only to leave it gathering dust in a draw.

whilst not cheap I did t think the asking price was outrageous bearing in mind it’s supposed to be hand made with leather sheath etc.

Kato28

Jan 27, 2021
London
Agreed, around the £140 to £180 mark, crazy price....I hope I made a mistake in the valuation?
Those are RRP prices, they should be available for less once they hit the shops.
If we look at the price of the Garberg, on the site they say 1300 KR, which is £103, but you can buy it for around £70-£75.

Also I suspect the steel is Sandvik 14C28N.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I doubt they are Sandvik, unless they've gotten into recycling.

I know Gransfors source their recycled steel for their axes from Ovako.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
i look at the price of a lot of the blades on here and wonder about the price people are prepared to pay only to leave it gathering dust in a draw.

whilst not cheap I did t think the asking price was outrageous bearing in mind it’s supposed to be hand made with leather sheath etc.
I missed the hand made bit, but I think hand assembly is closer, as every blade is likely to be stamped up, machine ground edges, and cnc handles, etc.

As for me, I do rotate my blades, and most do get used :) but in relation to the new mora line, I feel that they have missed something here......feels that they are behind the trend, rather than leading it.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
My understanding is that Sandvik steel comes on rolls, blades punched out, the remaining perforated strip is sent back for re-melting and ”recycling” into more of the same.

Looks to me like marketing to folk they think will want to virtue signal that they have a “greener” knife.

Price is pretty crazy. Compare to Lion Steel B40 and B41 which are manufactured in Italy in much the same manner, but are more complex using more expensive materials.

Last edited:

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I think the prices will inevitably come down after the initial launch/hype as they did with the Garberg etc…

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Interesting that these knives were announced/ released yesterday and there's little info online other than on their site and in the standard blurb.

I would have thought they'd release a few to YouTubers to review. Perhaps they have, but not posted them yet.

It looks like we're waiting for stock to come over to the UK, so it'll be interesting to see how they're priced.

The Lok looks like a great knife.
Will it be good value?
Where does it fit in the market?
Are Mora trying to launch more premium knives?

Let's see!

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
The general consensus on social media is that this range may very well be a swing and a miss from Morakniv. A lot of people (including myself) seem to love the design but feel they’re very much overpriced for the materials. Time will tell.

The sheaths leave a lot to be desired again and I’m not sure how much faith I would place in a button dangler attachment either..

Last edited:
Reactions: dodgerdog

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
The general consensus on social media is that this range may very well be a swing and a miss from Morakniv. A lot of people (including myself) seem to love the design but feel they’re very much overpriced for the materials. Time will tell.

The sheaths leave a lot to be desired again and I’m not sure how much faith I would place in a button dangler attachment either..
Agreed, some nice designs, but current RRP is very high. Really they need to be priced between £40 - £60 to take off.

Kato28

Jan 27, 2021
London
Agreed, some nice designs, but current RRP is very high. Really they need to be priced between £40 - £60 to take off.
They can’t be as cheap as that, the Garberg is around £80 and it has a moulded plastic handle.
The Hickory handle is not only more expensive to make, but also require manual assembly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE