Morakniv ash wood outdoor knife collection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
They can’t be as cheap as that, the Garberg is around £80 and it has a moulded plastic handle.
The Hickory handle is not only more expensive to make, but also require manual assembly.
Agreed the manual assembly adds cost, but all SAK have a number of manual assembly stages. if the garberg is the example, when they were first available here they were at £50 on heinnie, so how much when they land will be an interesting subject

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If Ontario knives had any sense, they make similar styled Old Hickory chefs knife.

Their cleaver is £30.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I think for these to take off they'll need to be in the £80-£100 mark. They look good, but cant help but think they'd have been better off picking one design to run with instead of wasting design and manufaturing costs on four before getting any real market feed back.

Reactions: Dan1982

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I what puzzles me to a degree is that the three “Bushcraft” knives are very similar. Granted slightly different sizes but all effectively doing the same job. You could probably do away with at least one of those models.

Reactions: Turnip

dodgerdog

May 6, 2014
Shropshire
The general consensus on social media is that this range may very well be a swing and a miss from Morakniv. A lot of people (including myself) seem to love the design but feel they’re very much overpriced for the materials. Time will tell.

The sheaths leave a lot to be desired again and I’m not sure how much faith I would place in a button dangler attachment either..
Seconded, there is a huge backlash regarding the price now on Instagram. They are replying to everyone with the same blurb essentially stating they really value the feedback and will take it on board. They have been making wooden handled knives (all be it stick tangs) for donkys years and until a few years ago you could still pick them up for 15 to 20 quid. This range smacks of cashing in on a brand name with some very fancy marketing. I personally think they are way off the mark price wise.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Funnily enough, the Garberg and Kansbol were received with the same pitchfork-like reactions at the time. They became a hit nevertheless.

But for this price they will face stiff competition from Esee (Camplore scandi), Condor with a couple of models amongst these a cool looking new puukko: The Trivittata.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
First closer look vids now going up on the tube

from the couple I've just watched, it looks like the tang is slightly wider thn the actual scales, may just be a trick of the light though.
I'm struggling to see which part of them is actually hand made? (well, what I would consider hand made)

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
from the couple I've just watched, it looks like the tang is slightly wider thn the actual scales, may just be a trick of the light though.
I'm struggling to see which part of them is actually hand made? (well, what I would consider hand made)
I too thought this. The tang looks slightly exposed like the fallkniven X series. The wood scales could potentially be shaped and fitted by hand but who knows…

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Funnily enough, the Garberg and Kansbol were received with the same pitchfork-like reactions at the time. They became a hit nevertheless.

But for this price they will face stiff competition from Esee (Camplore scandi), Condor with a couple of models amongst these a cool looking new puukko: The Trivittata.
That condor puukko looks like great value! There’s also a model called the “Serbian Cleaver” almost identical to the new Mora Rombo

Reactions: eraaij

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Look at the stuff Joker is putting out: A huge range of knives in stainless steel with hardwood or bone scales, nicely hand finished with a good leather sheath for £80-£100

Brisa has some nice options, especially if you buy a kit and build it yourself.

Casstrom has a load of woodlore-esque models around the £120 mark with stabilised wood or micarta scales, stainless or carbon steel.

I'm not sure what Mora is offering besides their name.

Kato28

Jan 27, 2021
London
Look at the stuff Joker is putting out: A huge range of knives in stainless steel with hardwood or bone scales, nicely hand finished with a good leather sheath for £80-£100

Brisa has some nice options, especially if you buy a kit and build it yourself.

Casstrom has a load of woodlore-esque models around the £120 mark with stabilised wood or micarta scales, stainless or carbon steel.

I'm not sure what Mora is offering besides their name.
I agree.
I have a Joker Trampero, the Kephart design, it was £75, I couldn’t believe the quality when it came.

Reactions: Kadushu

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
For that amount of money you are surely much better served if you take a Brisa, Helle or Casström knife. The similar models are even cheaper but much nicer.

Casström offers an oak handle No10 that's priced very sensibly.

I guess Morakniv had a look what Fjällräven is doing and want to try out if it also works for them. They just missed the important point that FR stuff is mainly bought for use in town. And these office adventurers rather carry a SAK, special edition, slightly over priced of course.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
First closer look vids now going up on the tube

The smallest one seems to be having no sharpened spine? If so -stupid decision, -that is the ultimate crafting blade and it should be able to scrape bark from branches and utilize firesteels...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Interesting. They look handsome enough knives, they come from a company that knows a thing or two about cutting tools and I'm sure that there is some perfectly good reason for the apparent pricing. In this hurly-burly world, material prices have gone up as have energy costs, so maybe the apparently elevated prices reflect that alongside the range being full tang and 'hand finished'. I know it's not strictly speaking a fair comparison but Raven Armoury, who make Paul Kirtley's PK1 knife, have hiked the price of that from about £600 to £996, presumably for exactly those reasons.

I am certainly interested in trying one out - either the middle- or large-sized one - but I suppose will have to wait months before they become available to potential customers in the U.K..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE