Mora Sheath with Firesteel Holder

Hey all,

I was given a mora on bushcraft course with a plastic sheath so I have thought about making my own leather one however the ones in the articles don't have the extra bit for a firesteel.

How do you go about adding a bit (ps im new to leatherwork). I was thinking if I add a simple rectangular piece folded in half it will be double thick at the point where it joins the main part of the sheath compared to the rest with a single thickness welt.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Andy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hey all,

I was given a mora on bushcraft course with a plastic sheath so I have thought about making my own leather one however the ones in the articles don't have the extra bit for a firesteel.

How do you go about adding a bit (ps im new to leatherwork). I was thinking if I add a simple rectangular piece folded in half it will be double thick at the point where it joins the main part of the sheath compared to the rest with a single thickness welt.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Andy
if you thin (skive) the two ends of the leather until each is half as thick. then when you wrap it round the firesteel, it will only be half as thick where it is let into the welt

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
You could try paring down the folded piece with a sharp knife to half thickness, alternatively you could cut alternating tabs so that they slot together.

Paring probably the more sensible way to go

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Skiving or sanding the parts down that becomes a pice of the welt works fine. You don't even have to sand them down to half the original thickness. Leather is a natural material and the 1 layer welt will blend into the, say, 1,5 layer welt, provided you all glue it at the same time and clamp everywhere.

Tips: take the rectangular piece not too small, fold it over your firesteel and glue it together, and let it dry. Makes working a lot easier. I once tried to fold it and glue it into the welt at the same time, but it wants to flap open all the time and makes it quite difficult.

Make the firesteel holder 5 mm shorter than your firesteel. If you attach a cord loop to the firesteel, you can make it at the right length so you can, with some trouble, get the loop over the piece of the firsteel thats sticking out. That way, even when your firesteel becomes thinner, you won't lose it.

Like this:

3566740007_042109e414.jpg

Have fun!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You could cut sheath and tab in one piece then the Free end of the tab is folded into the seam becoming the welt...if you see what I mean....only one thickness = no skiving

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Just a tip I picked put, if you Skiving/thin the leather try and do it 1/3 - 2/3 so as the join is not on the center line. That way you still have a welt and the joint is not in line with the blade;)

Or do as John said and cut your sheath out with the loop for the steel part of the back and fold it over - no additional joint ;)

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE