mora plastic axe thingy...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
hey all first post here so be gentle lol :) basicly was lookin on flebay for a new knife got about 50 quid to spend and was looking at the build your own blanks then i spotted this..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MORA-BUSHCRAFT-AXE-KNIFE-GIFT-SET_W0QQitemZ250305110012QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250305110012&_trkparms=72%3A1298|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

just wondering if anyones had any experance of this plasticy axe it looks intresting for part of my landrovers kit.
cheers Ant.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I'm no expert but I'd say that pound for pound you'd do better with a Mora knife for around £8.50 and then spend an extra fiver to get a gransfors small forest axe or similar. Welcome to BCUK by the way...

EDIT: Do you actually need an axe? Maybe a folding saw might be more practical?

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi There
I have several Mora knives and the are fantastic quality so I guess the axe will be the same.
I would definatly go for it.

"Have fun shoot a stick"

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
wow thanks for the fast reply :) i allready have a folding saw and want to do some spoon making and things i had a nice mora knife but its seen better days :( a few years of no use has killed it *problems stoped me goin out an things* so gettin back into it all again :)

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
I think I'd give that a miss. No idea about the quality but if you break the plastic helve you're finished, whereas if you you buy a more traditional wooden helved axe you can at least repair it yourself.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
That's what I was thinking, I'm not particularly attracted to the knife either, possibly a better buy would be the clipper or standard Mora shape.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I think the knife in the set is a mora 2000, theres a review on them somewhere on this site. im not an axe user so cant really comment whether thats good or bad. . .

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
If you're wanting to carve spoons that doesn't look like what you want! The best knives for spoon carving are the Frosts Mora 106 (longer blade, better when you know what you're doing) or 120 (shorter blade - safer for beginners). For a more general purpose knife that you can still carve with get a Frosts Mora Clipper. All cost no more than a tenner.

For a fairly general purpose axe you can't go far wrong with a Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet - costs about £45 I think. There's a special spoon Gransfors carving axe, but they cost about £75. Alternatively go down your local car boot sale and look out an old Kent pattern axe. They tend to cost around a fiver and do a fine job!

Nicola

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ive seen one of these in the flesh and as a small pack axe they are remarkably well balanced, also the axe head has a tang on it and goes into the handle giging the whole thing more durability, as has been said going by the quality of the knives this seems to follow in the footsteps and if your just using it as a pack axe while traveling where weight is of a premium they aint bad for the money as far as i could see.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
What's a kent pattern axe Nicola?
Any pictures?

Mark

r14358.JPEG

:)

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I've always thought of Kent patterns looking like crinolline* dresses
I love 'em

*Yes, I know this isn't spelt correctly. No, my spell checker doesn't know how either .....Partial Dyslexic and Proud :D

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Funnily enough, I have a cheapo version of that axe (a lot shorter, and yellow to boot) and thats where i store my Mora in transit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE