Moot Sharpening Workshop / DMT Group Buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
With Admins permission I am repeating here the thread I have posted on the Full Members Forum (For those of you who cannot see it there)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm planning on running a couple of "half-day" workshops at the main Moot this Summer, showing, and teaching those who want it, how I like to sharpen my edge tools. As I always use DMT diamond hones for my sharpening I thought I'd see if I could get us all a good deal on them too whilst I was at it.

For those who want to attend the workshops, or who will simply be at the Moot and want to collect from me there, I have managed to strike a deal with a DMT supplier as long as we end up buying a "decent quantity" between us.

I can get DMT MiniHones. Set of 3 (Coarse, Fine and Extra Fine) in a leather wallet/sheath thingy PLUS a stick of Stropping paste for £20 all-in.
(These are great for lightweight carry and for "touching up" a knife in the field but are not the best tools for a major re-grind or re-profiling job )

I can get DMT Double Sided Diafolds (The type I use) for £26:50 each. These are available in all of the 4 grit sizes that DMT do, Extra Coarse, Coarse, Fine and Extra Fine. By buying two of these you can have all 4 grit sizes at your disposal.

Both types of hone can be seen on this page... http://www.knivesplus.com/DMT.HTML

For anyone attending the workshops and/or buying hones I'll throw in a small leather strop mounted on a board (again, like I use) so they can get a proper mirror polish to their edges with the stropping compound. (For buyers of the Diafolds a bar of Stropping paste will noly be £3 or £4 or so)

What I'm proposing is that those of who would be interested in the workshop and/or buying the hones through me AT THE MOOT for cash on the day can put their names down on this thread. I need to know what sort of numbers I'm looking at so I know what to order from the supplier and take to Wales with me.
PLEASE only say you want the hones if you will b e at the Moot with the CASH for them there.
I am NOT making any profit on this at all. I'm simply trying to do a "Group Buy" type of thing but with collection in person instead of mailing stuff.

Added Info

I will add any names from this thread to the list on the original thread.
Please note that I am only willing to have under 16's in the workshop if they are accompanied by an adult. We are, after all, going to working with and on Edged Tools, making them as sharp as we can get them. Thank You.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have one of those DMT Diafold things, its compact, can take a bit of hammer, I can use water on it instead of oil so simple to carry and puts a decent edge on my stuff.

I also have two diamond bench hones for my joinery tools as they survive better on site than stones.
They even get used to rouch up Tungsten carbide router cutters.
I used to have an oilstone till I dropped it, then I had two bench stones :(

Can't say I will be doing the workshop thing as I am pretty confidant in my sharpening but the kits good IMO.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i'm pretty confidant about my sharpening too, but i'm going anyway! :cool:

longstrider, can you tell us a bit more about the paste please?

cheers, and.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
The paste is stick of blue compund that you load the leather strop with. Similar stuff to that used on buffing wheels and the like I guess but I find it ideal for the job of putting that final mirror finish onto an edge. Comes in a handy sized stick of about 3 1/2" x 3/4" x 3/4".

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Does this mean I can add you name to the list Sargey ? If so, what (if anything) would you like in the way of hones ? (Assuming it all goes to plan... See below )

Everyone,,, Please be aware that I have to have a respectable number of "orders" before the Group Buy element of this project will work. Too little to buy means that I'll not get such a good deal from the supplier. Half a dozen of us trying to buy together just isn't going to cut the mustard I'm afraid. :(

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Hi Stew, I would, but for the fact that this is to be a "Collect from me at the Moot and pay cash" affair.
I'll be getting the hones on a Sale or Return basis from the supplier, but if I don't think I'm going to shift enough to make it worth both his and my effort it will turn out to be a "no-goer". I'll be forking out my own £££ for them initially and then returning those that remain unsold. If numbers are too small the supplier won't be happy to give me the sort of discount that gives the prices I've quoted here and I'll end up out of pocket on the deal.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
With the level of discount on the offer it would definitely still be a very good deal if postage was added.
I'm considering opening this offer up as a Group Buy in the traditional sense, but as I'm to be moving house in the next few weeks and have all the associated mayhem going on I don't honestly know if I can spare the time to do so.
I'll think on it.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
OK folks. I met my DMT supplier at the weekend and picked up nearly £600 worth of kit from him for distribution :eek:

All those who have put their names down for stuff at the Moot will be catered for, and I'll have a few sets of the mini-hones "spare" for those who decide they want some after all once they see how effective they are.
Prices are as quoted in my opening post on this thread.

If you would like a set of hones, please DO NOT add you name to the list as I'll not be buying any more between now and the Moot. Just see me at Merhtyr Mawr and we'll see what I have with me there. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE