Monthly Build Along Month 2 ....Folding Bucksaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Right fellas

Sorry for the delay I’ve been in the woods all weekend (and great it was too!) without further ado…..

Here is the next monthly build along

We will be making this month a Folding Bucksaw, have a read of the information below and have a go if you like.

I have included this link to a saw blade that is 24 inches, and good quality. (no affiliation just got one myself and it’s a good bit of kit)

I will be using the method from Paul Kirtley’s Blog, have a read through and then adapt it to suit your needs. I personally would find the mortise and tennon joint pretty hard so might use a brass pin instead.

I will probably be using sourced timber, but feel free to use any wood you choose oh and happy making, oh and as always lets see your progress, either a blow by blow or just the finished article.

Dave

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
DaveBromley
Big Stu...
Andy T
Albus Culter

If I can sort some wood of the right size as this has been on my to do list for ages. Next month could be the bag to house it in :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I spoke with Dave and asked him if it was alright to post a pic of one previously made, and he said it was ok as it might inspire others to have a go, so here's one of mine, i made this late last year, hazel frame, mortice and tenon joints, 24" blade, it's not strictly a folding saw, but it all pulls apart for storage, and it's still going strong to this day :)

DSCN8026.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Wish I could join you in this... but as I dont have anything like the right tools (only a jigsaw and cordless drill) I think I may have to resort to something like this..

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http:...jAGOBQ&usg=AFQjCNG5gnUl2yQagt5ohv9p1ScF77qstw

Mark

Mark thats absolutely fine mate, I'm only making it out of processed timber as i might not have time to go and get the materials from the woods myself lol.

Not important what it looks like, just that it does what it is supposed to!!

Give it a go matey!!

Dave

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I can't wait to have a crack at this at the weekend!! got my blade yesterday in the post, today will be spent working on designs and sourcing nice material!!!

Dave

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'll be getting a blade and hopefully this weekend at the suffolk meet making one in the woods with just a couple of tools......

I am realy looking forward to doing it

Seabass

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2012
Borders, Scotland
Took the riving knife and top guard off the table saw. Not the most pleasant thing to machine given the depth of the groove. The fine clearances at the end for the blade were just the width of the bandsaw blade but I could have used the silky or pull saw. I'll freely admit they weren't made in the woods!

JC

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Not got round to this yet... last time I was out in the woods, we made a shave horse... so may be a week late in this..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE