Monthly Build Along Month 2 ....Folding Bucksaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Here's mine so far........and the tools i've used......i am going to try and do it all with just handtools, the only power tool i'll use will be a drill for the mortices and the pin for the blade because i don't have an auger.It's made from reclaimed oak possibly old canal lock gates.

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Here's mine so far........and the tools i've used......i am going to try and do it all with just handtools, the only power tool i'll use will be a drill for the mortices and the pin for the blade because i don't have an auger.It's made from reclaimed oak possibly old canal lock gates.

tu4esury.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Id like to give this a go as i want to make one for my trip to sweden.
DaveBromley
Big Stu...
Andy T
Albus Culter
Kep
Gray
Outdoordude

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
ended up making mine from Hazel and other bits and bobs lying around the shed.... it is ................Rustic...... to say the least. I will post pics for you all to laugh at

Dave

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Ive got two on the go at the moment......ill post pics up of one of them as soon as its finished the other ones going to take another couple of weeks to finish

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Ive got two on the go at the moment......ill post pics up of one of them as soon as its finished the other ones going to take another couple of weeks to finish

Anticipation is crucifying aaaaarggh

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So I realize this build a long is over, but I wanted to show the bucksaw I produced last night anyway. I made one last year with just hand tools and due to fiddling with it too much and poor design it ended up not really working.

So, I wanted to make one based more on the standard design that actually folds and not just comes apart. Last month I was finishing writing my Masters Thesis in Physics so I didn't have the time to participate. But I'm waiting on some corrections now from my supervisor, so I figured I'd have a crack at it. Went out the other night and bought a used but never used table saw for $80, then went and bought a small vise and chisels. Below is the result.

DSC_4436-1.jpg

DSC_4437.jpg

DSC_4438-1.jpg

I made this from a fallen maple tree I hauled out of the woods, so cost (besides tools) was very little. It's a little rough but it was my first attempt. I gave it a rough sanding with 100grit paper and coated in linseed oil.

Thoughts?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE