Monocular Recommendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I have been thinking about getting a small set of binoculars to stick in my pack when out and about. For nothing more then just general use. However, I tried a monocular today and really rated it. There seems to be quite a few around at <£50 so just wondered if anyone could recommend a model.

I'm looking at 8x or 10x25, small enough to stick in my pack and quite robust. As I said, just for general occasional use. I have a scope for birding.

Something like this http://www.eebc.co.uk/productdisplay.aspx?productid=445

Thanks.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I've been using a 10x30 Bushnell monocular since the early '80's with no regrets.I'm not up on the new models so can't really help you there,but would say that if I bought another one I might go with the 8 power. I find that the 10x is hard to hold steady enough to get a good clear picture.You really need a good solid rest to brace against,or at least I do anyway.
If you can, try both at a store before buying.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ditto bb07, I have a Bushnell monocular and it is great. Far less hassle than binos which I always leave at home.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
At the recent (excellent) BCUK/Bushcraft Expeditions tracking course I did, we played around with the Visionary m-10 10x50 mini-scope.

I include this link just to show you what it's like; it's the first one Google came up with:

http://www.digiscopediary.co.uk/visionary-m10.html

Anyway, Woody, the chief instructor was raving about it. We all got a chance to compare it with lots of other models of binocular, monocular & full-size scopes, and this one performed very well indeed - one of the best in fact, and if you take its price into consideration - 50 quid or thereabouts - I think it's a real winner. It's certainly on my own wish list!

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Thanks for the tip - just ordered one. I too greatly prefer monoculars (I can never seem to see through binoculars) and have been looking out for one for archery and other uses. I have had a few cheap ones in the past and these will now be passed on to Bushcrafter jnr.

NS

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i very much prefer monoculars, i have an old zeiss thing thats 10x30 its old coated lenses and i dismantled it, cleaned it and its briliant and small and bright. i take it a lot wherever i go really. might get something more modern, but binos are hassle i have wonky vision left to right lol and can never get binos particularly sharp so i just use a mono on my better eye!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I got my Visionary M10 today. Superb quality of construction and optics (as far as my inexpert eye can tell). Further testing not possible at the moment as it is going under the tree (I buy my own Christmas presents&#8230;)

One observation though. This is not like one of those mini-monoculars that fits in a pocket, pouch or rucksack lid. This is quite a chunky piece of kit that is basically half a large pair of binoculars.

NS

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i've been a long time fan of monoculars, i used to have an excellent russian monocular, but it disappeared somewhere. 10X50 is a little too bulky for me.

the last few years i've been carrying a wee opticron scope. just recently i found this over at heinnies.

reckon i'll have to invest in the new year.

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE