Moldy Millbank bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol
Dear Marjorie

I recently bought my first Millbank bag. I was looking forward to many happy cups of tea, minus the inevitable twigs and insects but, alas, all is not well.
My problem is I can't seem to get past the clinical smell. It was very strong at first, and even tainted the first cup of tea, making me gag.
I thought I'd be clever and throw it in the washing machine to get rid of it, but that just seems to have released some dormant mold, as the bag is now covered in tiny little black specks, and the smell has only diminished slightly.

Should I stop being a soft southern towny and just get on with it, or is it time to tell my Millbank bag that were just not compatible?

Yours
Slightly Disappointed of South Gloucestershire

Seriously, if anyone has any idea about the smell or the mold, I'd be interested to here it
Chris

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Stick it in the freezer for 3 days then wash it on a hot wash with no soap or conditioner.Make sure you dry it completely every time you use it .every trip sorry

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol
The thing is the little black mold (?) spots only appeared after washing. Before that it was fine, if a little smelly. The smell wasn't / isn't ... unpleasant ... just not compatible with a cup of tea. Having been brought up by a nurse and then having the lack of sense to marry one the smell is not unfamiliar, I just can't put my finger on what it is.

I can see the sense in the freezer thing, it's how I kill the bugs on any fur or feathers I get for fly tying. As for the boil wash - we'll see in an hour or so when it finished.

Cheers
Chris

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I said HOT wash ,I think a boil wash may damage it .Let us know how it comes out.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
As Geraint said Chris, Milton should clear that up.

I`ve used it on some pretty sinky gear which has been packed away wet and then stored. (not by me you understand :rolleyes: )

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol
Hot, Warm, Cold. All subjective terms. My washing machine says 90 degrees, so it shouldn't boil and will be hot, but I call it a boil wash. Apparently 40 degrees is hot now and Ariel all want us to wash our clothes at 15 degrees. My machine doesn't have 15 degrees - 40, 30 & then a snow symbol. I'm not washing my clothes in snow. That's just stupid.

If it's no good - hey! it only cost a few quid.

Can't stand the smell of Milton either, so I may be onto a looser here. Come to think of it, I wonder if the smell is Milton?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Hot, Warm, Cold. All subjective terms. My washing machine says 90 degrees, so it shouldn't boil and will be hot, but I call it a boil wash. Apparently 40 degrees is hot now and Ariel all want us to wash our clothes at 15 degrees. My machine doesn't have 15 degrees - 40, 30 & then a snow symbol. I'm not washing my clothes in snow. That's just stupid.

If it's no good - hey! it only cost a few quid.

Can't stand the smell of Milton either, so I may be onto a looser here. Come to think of it, I wonder if the smell is Milton?

this new 15 degree thing is a complete joke! surely everyone knows room temperature is 20-25 degrees? you would have to use more energy cooling the water!!! :lmao:also the amount of chemicals they use to allow that must be worse for the environment in the first place!

pete

If the bag was new at the start, then they tend to leach some of the dye so turn the water blue-ish - it shouldn't harm, not sure about the taste as when it happened to me I threw it away.

I washed mine in the machine about 5 or 6 times before it seemed to be totally 'free' of leaching, but it's got a few 'stains' on it - doesn't affect the water though (especially seeing as I boil it to sterilise it before drinking).

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol
Well, the boil / hot / 90 degree not good for the environment probably despite not using any detergent of any sort wash seems to have done it. The smell is gone. And the moldy spots are much reduced, so they probably weren't mold spots to start with.

Thanks for all the tips.
Chris

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Millton sales must be good? Just get some household bleach, dilute it a bit in a bucket of warm water and dunk the bag. Ok, it will be white from now on, but all the shnurglies in it will be dead. Just rinse it a few times to get rid of any excess chlorine.

Never really understood the whole Millbank bag thing anyway. :dunno: If the waters that muddy, then why would you want to drink it? They provide not bacterial or viral disinfection!

They just get heavy to carry when wet, dampen your other gear and go all mouldy.:rolleyes:

Ok, if you’re in arid land you ‘may’ need one, but everywhere else just look for some clean water. If the rivers in flood look for an undisturbed puddle, there will be plenty about.:umbrella: I have never had a problem finding visually cleanish water. Just fill your Billys and over night the sediment will fall out of it. Then decant into your water bottle, rinse the Billy and then boil sterilise the water in the bottle. Use your mosi head net to filter off any floating surface scum if needs be when you fill the cans.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
The smell could just be due to storage,all cotton webbing type products smell musty when theve been stored for sometime,as for the mildew id just scrub it off with hot water and a nail brush then put the bag on a radiator to dry completely before storing.

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol
Excellent, thanks, that reminds me.

It definitely wasn't a musty smell, but a hospital / clinical type smell, as if it had been treated with something.

As for the spots ... I got some washing up liquid, hot water and a stiff brush to our bike trailer recently to clean it up for my sister in law. Came up a treat after looking like it had been in a garage for a few years unused (because it had been in the garage for a few years unused). No mold, cob webs, stains or anything.

I'll do the same to the bag, not that it matters as much as it was the smell that was really bothering me.

Well, the boil / hot / 90 degree not good for the environment...

As a complete aside and probably steering things off-topic, we've recently had a number of problems with our washing machine, clogged up dispenser draw, and mold growing on the door seal...

Turns out the problem is that all this washing at low temperatures (ie 40 and below) doesn't clear all the detergents & softeners through the system...

Apparently, in order to keep your machine working properly, you're MEANT to put it on a 'boil' / 95 degree wash once a month to flush it through.

Just a good excuse to keep your millbank bag clean :D

Glad to have been a public service (wash)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE