Modifying a firearm in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I can find out for you but your FAC buddies will know.

Firearms referees are not about owning guns. You need fine upstanding professionals with untarnished records who have known you more than 2 years.

Access to a mentor will make up for a lack of firearms experience.

The system is set up to deter applicants who are not utterly determined.

I would prefer a system that was harder on checks on the individual (psych evaluation etc) but less prescriptive on the hardware. If I'm not safe to own any particular gun I shouldn't have them at all.

If I can own own a deer rifle and expanding missiles which is an effective sniper rifle capable of clean kills, quietly at over 1km or a 10 shot shotgun then how on earth can I not be trusted with a .22 target pistol?

Laws an bottom but we respect it none the less.

Great post.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
You possibly shoot ground squirrels and things like that Santaman?

We are a densely populated land where we shoot rabbits at night with subsonic ammunition. Moderators are becoming more and more popular on the basis of ear damage and neighbour concerns. They tame a centre fires kick too. I'm nearly a total convert.

Because we shoot subsonic ammunition over here by and large at bunnies and the Ruger 10-22 is designed to run on High Velocity ammo it's not an ideal UK hunting rifle. There I think I covered everything again.

I love my Ruger. OK might as well come out and say I own a very highly modified one. However when I'm heading out for rabbits it is not even my fourth choice and I come from a place that doesn't promote the ownership of that many guns.

17 Hmr is allowed by some counties police forces to be used on mammals up to fox. I strongly disagree with its use on fox. It does not allow margin for error particularly shot at night.

Not everybody can choose what and where they shoot. The additional range for clean head shots is very welcome with my .17 Hmr. They get a lot of bad press but then there are a lot of muppets about who cannot understand the concept of a performance envelope.

We occasionally get deer carcasses with .22 wounds here too. It's not good news for legal shooters.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You possibly shoot ground squirrels and things like that Santaman?

We are a densely populated land where we shoot rabbits at night with subsonic ammunition. Moderators are becoming more and more popular on the basis of ear damage and neighbour concerns. They tame a centre fires kick too. I'm nearly a total convert.....

-No. No ground shooting of squirrels (although we most often shoot them running (vs stationary) through the trees with a shotgun. And some hunting areas over here are also densely populated. Those areas generally prohibit hunting with any centerfire rifle at all (restricted to just shotguns, rimfires, handguns, or bows) In fact the entire state of Ohio has those restrictions

-Agree perfectly with the logic of the second comment; I wish it were legal here.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Because we shoot subsonic ammunition over here by and large at bunnies and the Ruger 10-22 is designed to run on High Velocity ammo it's not an ideal UK hunting rifle. There I think I covered everything again......

Can't agree with Ruger needing high velocity ammo. Every 22LR shooter I know just buys the cheapest ammo available. And it works just fine in the 10-22s here. I have READ of the problems you mention, but I've never actually SEEN it. I have had ONE (and only one) 10-22 give me problems feeding, but it was cured by a new magazine, NOT a problem with the action needing high performance ammo..

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
We shoot them out in the club after a few gazillion rounds. We treat them like you might shoot pistols at a club stateside. Well beyond their design!

Cheapo wall mart ammo probably isn't subsonic. Due to the shortage here a lot of our guys have moved off SK and CCI Mini Mag to Remington Golden Bullet and we are having problems with that too. Ely is just too damn expensive.

I witnessed two 10-22's with predictable FTF malfunctions last Friday night running Golden Bullet.

Me, I tucked away enough Minimag to ensure I'm good for all major comps for a year. On this my rifle runs sweet as a nut.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Cheapo wall mart ammo probably isn't subsonic. Due to the shortage here a lot of our guys have moved off SK and CCI Mini Mag to Remington Golden Bullet and we are having problems with that too. Ely is just too damn expensive.

I witnessed two 10-22's with predictable FTF malfunctions last Friday night running Golden Bullet........

Like I said I couldn't comment on what ammo is or is not subsonic. But I can say that Remington golden bullet is one of the most common ones (it's cheap in a 500 round carton) and gives us no problems.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My plan, once I have an FAC in the pipeline is to go to my local dealer and try a few guns. I know it won't be the cheapest route but I've less chance of wasting money on a rifle that isn't suitable. You can buy BSA Sportmans for £50 on guntrader, though but there's probably a reason why they're so cheap

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Maybe your countrymen ship us all the ****ty stuff. However in return we give you Piers Morgan and fair trade is no robbery.

Just thought of another fella Saturday shooting Golden Bullet at our Rimfire Festival that had FTF's on at least two stages.

That's three shooters, three individual guns this week with problems using high velocity ammo in 10-22's let alone subs. There is another member of my club here who will verify. He however was open the range tonight while I drink Gin and Tonic in the shade.

Rimfire fest was 250 rounds in the morning. I get through at least 500 rounds of .22 a month in my Ruger. How much are you shooting yours?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My plan, once I have an FAC in the pipeline is to go to my local dealer and try a few guns. I know it won't be the cheapest route but I've less chance of wasting money on a rifle that isn't suitable. You can buy BSA Sportmans for £50 on guntrader, though but there's probably a reason why they're so cheap

That's the most sensible approach. And TBH the most fun :) You get to shoot a lot od guns while looking for what you want.

But be forewarned. They're addictive. Whatever you get, you're always going to want another you don't have yet!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I don't think my local RFD has a range but if I understand it correctly, one is restricted to the number of firearms one can own (shotguns is different - you can own as many as you can store, I think). I'll apply for more than one and see what happens - might get lucky

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Maybe your countrymen ship us all the ****ty stuff. However in return we give you Piers Morgan and fair trade is no robbery.

Just thought of another fella Saturday shooting Golden Bullet at our Rimfire Festival that had FTF's on at least two stages.....

Sorry. My bad but I didn't read closely enough. I was thinking of gun malfunctions (such as feeding or ejection problems) and fixated on that. Yes I have had FTFs with Remington Goldens but in pretty much ALL guns, including single shot rifles so wasn't considering it a problem with a gun being "finicky."

As for Piers Morgan, You can have him back. LOL. I wish he'd kept his promise to self-deport. He is steadily losing viewers in the ratings though so maybe there's hope :)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset

Any firearm is detonating an explosion centimetres from your face. Unless you can identify a safe gun buy from a dealer or from someone you know and trust.

It needs to feel right and fit you too. You cannot buy a gun off a website.

When I bought my CZ I went in for a completely different gun. I hated how the one I had read up on felt in real life and settled on what I perceived to be a vastly inferior brand. I was grateful to the dealer for ensuring he had a number in for me. ( I am a good customer)

Love it. Its a tack driver.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I don't think my local RFD has a range but if I understand it correctly, one is restricted to the number of firearms one can own (shotguns is different - you can own as many as you can store, I think). I'll apply for more than one and see what happens - might get lucky

You can own as many as you have "good reason" to acquire. You can always buy more storage, an alarm system, convert a spare bedroom to a gun room.

Spandit where are you buddy? I might be able to point you the right way.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Sorry. My bad but I didn't read closely enough. I was thinking of gun malfunctions (such as feeding or ejection problems) and fixated on that. Yes I have had FTFs with Remington Goldens but in pretty much ALL guns, including single shot rifles so wasn't considering it a problem with a gun being "finicky."

As for Piers Morgan, You can have him back. LOL. I wish he'd kept his promise to self-deport. He is steadily losing viewers in the ratings though so maybe there's hope :)

Sorry Santa. FTF is slang for Failure to Feed. Feed cycle, double feed, ejection malfunction, a jam. It's fairly encompassing. I'm not talking about failure of the ammunition to go bang though sure enough that happens more with cheaper ammo.

On the AR15 point. So far as I understand federal law as a Brit. The receiver of most guns is the legal part. The Ar15 has an upper and lower receiver. Because the serial number is stamped on the lower this is the controlled part in the US. "The gun"

That's why a file containing a printable lower receiver for the AR15 was released during the recent threat to ban this model.

Piers Morgan. Not on your nelly. Keep him or I hear North Korea is lovely this time of year. It's him and left leaning hacks like him that caused the firearms bans we have here.

Been good talking guns with you. Way off topic as we are. Night night!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry Santa. FTF is slang for Failure to Feed. Feed cycle, double feed, ejection malfunction, a jam. It's fairly encompassing. I'm not talking about failure of the ammunition to go bang though sure enough that happens more with cheaper ammo....

LOL. Language difference then. For us FTF is Failure To Fire. Or as you put it, the ammo doesn't go bang.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....On the AR15 point. So far as I understand federal law as a Brit. The receiver of most guns is the legal part. The Ar15 has an upper and lower receiver. Because the serial number is stamped on the lower this is the controlled part in the US. "The gun"

That's why a file containing a printable lower receiver for the AR15 was released during the recent threat to ban this model......

I had thought otherwise but TBH I'm not absolutely sure. You may very easily be right.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Piers Morgan. Not on your nelly. Keep him or I hear North Korea is lovely this time of year. It's him and left leaning hacks like him that caused the firearms bans we have here......

North Korea eh? There's a thought. I'll pitch in for his ticket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE