Modifying a firearm in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just a query...

If I bought (legally) say a .22LR and wanted to change it to a bullpup design, with a different stock and additional trigger linkage, is it legal to do in the UK or are there specific licences for that sort of thing?

i know you can't saw off the barrel of a shotgun but could one turn a rifle into a carbine (I know without a proper crowning tool you'd just knacker it) or machine the barrel to take a moderator?

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Yes, you can change stocks and modify triggers, but any metal removed from any pressure-bearing part requires a new proofing - difficult to arrange if you're not a gunsmith. The minimum barrel length for a rifle is, IIRC, 12" in the UK. whilst for a shotgun it's 24" unless you have permission to shorten it further, in which case you will hold it on a Firearm Certificate not a Shotgun Certificate.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just thinking, if I were to apply for a FAC, could I just ask for a shotgun on it as well as a rifle? Would save the cost of a separate certificate...

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Just thinking, if I were to apply for a FAC, could I just ask for a shotgun on it as well as a rifle? Would save the cost of a separate certificate...

Not quite - only pump-action and semi-auto shotguns with a magazine capacity of greater than two plus one in the chamber, may be held on a FAC. You have to give 'good cause' to own such an instrument and the only one the police accept is 'serious avian infestation'.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE

You have to give 'good cause' to own such an instrument and the only one the police accept is 'serious avian infestation'.

Shame... Quite fancy having an 8-shot semi!

Section 1 FAC and SGC are 2 different animals completely as far as the rules and regs are concerned.
You can apply on your 1st application for both for what is called 'Coterminus Certificates' which because they both expire at the same time, will make the application easier on renewal and also a bit cheaper for you, but as stated above, if you want to possess a shotgun with a payload of more than 3 shots, it then becomes a Section 1 firearm and you will have to prove 'Good reason' to possess said firearm.

Serious avian infestation is not the only good reason, the Practical Shotgun discipline is also another way round the red tape if you can find a club near you that has the facilities

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Serious avian infestation is not the only good reason, the Practical Shotgun discipline is also another way round the red tape if you can find a club near you that has the facilities

Quite right, I forgot about that as I only use wpns for game/pest shooting. Though there is usually a qualifying period at shooting clubs, generally 6 months though I have heard of some having a year.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I have no need for a FAC shotgun in the same way that I have no need for a belt-fed machine gun or .50cal but I'd like to have a go with one!

I'll just go for the FAC and SGC on coterminous... not that I'll have any money left over to buy the damn things assuming this house move goes through! ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you go coterminous its only a tenner more than an FAC - I can't see any reason not to have an SGC if you have an FAC

If you join a club and do some practical shotgun that qualifies as a "good reason" or "need" as Silverback says. I wouldn't look to an 8 shot semi, though....why limit yourself to low capacity :)

Benelli M3 Custom by British Red, on Flickr

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Can you buy shotguns with drum magazines in the UK? I only mentioned the 8-shot as I'd read about it on another site - not sure I'm ready to join a club yet...

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
After seeing practical shotgun discipline, I'm really thinking about going for my FAC as I don't think my o/u Beretta will cut the mustard. Need to find a club near me that does it.

British Red, thats a lovely looking shotgun!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can you buy shotguns with drum magazines in the UK? I only mentioned the 8-shot as I'd read about it on another site - not sure I'm ready to join a club yet...

So long as they are not full auto (machine guns) and have a 24" or more barrel, yes. The Saiga 12 variants use 20 round drums. Bulky things though

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

British Red, thats a lovely looking shotgun!

Thank you - its a nice gun - and unusual (being both a semi and a pump and the same time). Dave Wylde at Valkyrie did the customisations for me - he's a very good gunsmith - plus his shop is in the grounds of South Yorkshire Shooting Suppies, so I got to have a chat with my other favourite gunsmith whilst there!

Practical is a great sport, but for any game work, a good double barrel is really all you need

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's the kind of thing that I'd get bored with after one magazine...

I have tried the Saigas and, to be honest, found the stock uncomfortable and the magazines unwieldy. Even the 8 shot box mags are huge. I haven't yet found a magazine fed shotgun I like

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE