Modified Opinel, with firesteel and sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have been tinkering with my Opinel no8! I have changed the shape of the blade as I thought the point looked too fragile and changed the curve of the back of the blade, it now has a smooth curve along the blade. It look less "aggressive", to me anyway.

I stripped the 'orrible dye on the handle, sanded it really smooth, rounded the corners a bit and pyrographed a couple of Kokopeles and a few other Native American symbols on it!! Just for the fun of it. I then treated the handle with a mix of boiled linseed oil and pine tar. Smells wonderful.

I then made a sheath for it and also to house a miniature firesteel. The sheath can be carried on a belt up to 2", in your pocket or in a possible's pouch, or even with the addition of a leather thong, around the neck.

What do you think?? I am going to do the same to an Opinel no 10 next, with a full size firesteel.

DSCN0140-1.jpg

DSCN0141-2.jpg

DSCN0142-2.jpg

DSCN0143-3.jpg

That's a picture of the number 10 next to no8, to show the original shape of the blade next to the modified blade. I think it makes the tip of the blade stronger, less likely to break.

DSCN0145-1.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I like it! - and yes you should do the other one too! :D

did you make the firesteel? love the brass top

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That Opi looks exactly the same as mine, but substitute the nicely done handle for a scorched, sanded and then oiled finish (easy for a muppet to do)! I prefer the spear point, and I still reckon that modded Opi's to spear point look better than Opinels spear point offering! Theirs doesn't look right somehow! :dunno:

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Years ago, I broke the tip off my then current Opi (number 8 as per normal)
When I'd reground it it ended up exactly the same shape as that one of yours, obviously thats the shape they're meant to be !!

I miss that knife, its somewhere on the moors near Wernside

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Thanks for the nice comments. Here is the No 10, without its ring on, with the reworked blade, and some pyrographed doodlings on the handle, with the No 8 for scale. the sheath is finished and dyed on this pic.

DSCN0149-1.jpg

I put the Mora there for scale.
DSCN0148-2.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Nice work I like prography a lot as well as the sheath and I think I will maje myself a sheath like that for my SAK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE