MOD Survival Knife- What to do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I have an old MOD survival knife at home which is missing the handle and the sheath.

At one time I had designs to put a handle on it myself, but seeing as i can't knock a nail in straight, i have thought better of it.

So is the blade worth doing any custom work on? Would you reshape the blade or simply put a handle on it..

Does anybody know someone who can do the work with out charging an arm and a leg...

Regards,

Pete

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Pete.. i don't know what the blade is like or what you want if for so i don't know if it would need re-shaping.. if the blade is just knocking around i would say have a go putting a handle on it your self.. learn from the challenge.. if you want it done professionally though just ask on British Blades.. and the makes there will be able to do what you need, and very reasonably for the most part! :)

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Gents,

I am not sure about reshaping simply as I don't really have an idea what I would do with the knife..it just seems ashame to see it lying there useless..
Whats the quality of steel like in the these knives?

I would like to put some antler scales on it, but besides the lack of skill, I also lack the facilities to work on it...

I will go over to Britishbaldes when I get a minute and see what they can come up with..

Regards,

Pete

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Remember thiough that in messign about (especially sending it back and forth to others and so on) that a new MOD knife will only cost you £30 or so and that a handle and sheath plus postage might cost you more than that. You might want to get a new one and use the old one to experiment with.

Just an idea ...

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I managed to put a passable handle on a blade with a file, a rasp, wet and dry paper, epoxy, linseed oil, drill, and ...... that was it. No power sander, no vice, no workshop. You don't need many facilities. Admittedly a few things would have cut the time it took down but you don't need much to be going on with.

Bill

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Re-handling the MOD knife would be a good project, It would just cost too much to get someone else to do it. You can acomppolish a lot with just a few files, a hammer, sand paper, a drill and some basic materials. Having a lot of equipement makes things go a bit faster but you loose some of the enjoyment. Its amazing the quanitity and quality of knives that came out of the little mesters in Sheffield and their tools were really basic but used with a lot of skill and experience.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Pete, I love my MOD knife and think they are great! How they manage to make such a BIG knife look so non-threatening is amazing!

Steel is fairly high carbon and they light up with a fire steel like a christmas tree!

I bought a new cordura sheath for mine a couple of months ago that has a pocket on the front for a spyderco, firesteel and harmonica (ok so that's not what they advise you to carry in it)....anyway, the long and short is I have a practically brand spanking new leather issue sheath that although I'll keep for years I know I'll never use so if you want it PM me and I'll send it to you.....free that is, I don't want anything for it, if it's of some use to you then that's enough :p

Cheers,

Phil.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
No worries Mate, as I said the sheath isn't going anywhere so just let me know if you want it....

I might sound like a philistine here (to some of our knife appriciation members....sorry chaps and chapesses) but what about a field expedient handle....wrap paracord round the tang (or leather strips)....hey presto a handle! A bit rubbishy I know but hey...if it works then that's cool.

jakunen

Native
bambodoggy said:
I might sound like a philistine here (to some of our knife appriciation members....sorry chaps and chapesses) but what about a field expedient handle....wrap paracord round the tang (or leather strips)....hey presto a handle! A bit rubbishy I know but hey...if it works then that's cool.
Couple of points, wouldn't that take an awful lot of paracord? And would it be that comfortable?

Personally I'd go for the old route of basic wooden handle with hide cover, but that's just my old re-enactors love of leather and point things comign out.
Ah, happy days...

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I often have a leathermans at work and as a Dispatch Manager always have a box cutter/stanley knife but I think my staff would FREAK if I brought the MOD knife in.....especially if just to store rubber bands!!!! :rolmao: Rubber bands might be more comfy than paracord though.

The handles aren't all that amazing and they can cause blisters on softer hands (mine included) but at the risk of tempting "Mistress Fate" (Jakunen) I've never had one break on me!!!!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Have you thought about bicycle handle bar tape for a soft coating for a handle?

Some rip tape is very strong and would be good for rough handles as well. Less give then bar tape. It would have the effect of a material wrapped round it but of course been rather sticky it wouldn't move. It's also rather hard wearing (it's to stop spokes poking holes in rubber after all)

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
How much does an issue British MOD survival knife cost.Thinking of getting two,one for myself and another as a Christmas prezzy.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well, you might consider the handle design we developed here at Hoodoo Knifeworks (after a good hour of experimentation I might add) for the mighty Battle Bar.

battlebar1c.jpg

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
My God Hoodoo!!!! What the heck is that??? :shock: It looks positively evil...lol I do like the handle though....it's very me! :eek:):

Clem, you can expect to pay between £25 and £35 each for them....but they are built like tanks and you'll find it veryhard to break it.
They weigh a tonne and can chop like a small hatchet.
Some people love them (like me) and others hate they saying they are too big and clumbersom....hence I have mine in a cordura pouch with a spyderco in it.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
bambodoggy said:
My God Hoodoo!!!! What the heck is that??? :shock: It looks positively evil...lol I do like the handle though....it's very me! :eek:):

It's the original sharpened prybar. No other sharpened prybar comes close. :wave:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE