MOD Issue Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Surprisingly a search through the forum turned up nothing on the MOD issue field knife. Has anyone used these? The very brief descriptions on the sites offering them for sale seem to suggest that the knife is very robust, but I wonder if that means they're a bit clunky for bushcraft.

bagman

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2003
Oxon
A bit clunky would be being very generous.

They give sharpened(ish) pry bars a bad name :-D

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I assume we're talking about the Wilkinson Sword issue MOD Survival Knife. It's been around for years and is really a small machete :) - so much too big and clumsy for bushcraft uses. I found them very hard to sharpen and swopped mine for something more useful. Don't waste your money unless you want it for the military pose value :lol:

Ted W

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Actually, I would gladly spend extra just to avoid the military pose value. Thanks for the tips, I think I can safely cross this one off my list of possibles.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
don't know about military pose value. but i'd say the MOD knife is more of a hand axe than a short machete. i don't think that wilkies are the current contractors though.

i have a wilkinson D pattern knife, it's an excellent tool. the MOD knife works within it's design constraints. no it certainly isn't much cop at detailed whittling. but then your average puukko isn't much cop at heavy chopping...

cheers, and.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Like everything has an intended use, this knife is designed to be an all rounder although I carry one of these as well as a four inch bladed knife, as I have enough common sense to realise that the mod knife is more suited to heavy work including digging holes, and for the finer work the smaller knife is better suited.
The mod knife has a very good quality high carbon steel blade of which sharpens beautifully if you use a corse diamond card first and then a 800 grit waterstone gives a very useable edge, if however like me you are a sharpening nut you could finnish off with a 6000 grit waterstone and have a finish that you can shave with.
There are now two versions of this knife the original wooden handled one and the new black fibre version, other than the handles there is no differance other than the price the latter is approx £10 dearer.
The best place to locate these is via the manufacturer based in shefield there web address is www.sheffieldknives.co.uk
I find this knife a great asset, and so should you providing that you dont try to use it beond its limitations, and for the price you cant beat it, I bought mine second hand at a militaria fair for £10 and as far as robustness with a blade 7" x 2" x 1/4" thick it makes a bloody good pry bar, the only thing that I have done to mine is to whip the handle with para cord as the riveted handle can be uncomfortable for prolonged use.
I hope that this response is of use to you, if you need any more info let me know.
Chopper.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
hi gurushaun,

the knife you refer to might be the one i've got, the wilky D pattern. but it's a full convex rather than flat grind.

it's excellent, but lacks the fine tip for small whittling projects.

cheers and.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
bjb or sargey?

i got mine on a flying visit to my favourite knife shop, framar knives in blackburn. http://www.framarknives.co.uk/ i was dropping off or collecting my darling beloved from manchester airport, it seemed rude not to pop in and treat myself. it was in a sorry state though. took a fair bit of TLC to restore it.

which other forums do you read?

cheers, and.

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
:oops: , Sorry Sargey

I read a lot of the US survival/woodsy/self reliance forums SRKW, outdoor forums, Plainsmans... anything interesting really :mrgreen: Tanks for letting me know I guess I'll have to keep working the militaria sites.

Cheers

Shaun

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The Mk4 is very similar to the Martindale para machete in profile. It has a very soft Rockwell of 52 and simple carbon steel with a small percentile of nickel. I reprofiled one with a fine mill ******* file and diamond hones in short order. I locked myself in a derelict caravan and proceeded to pick a fight with it. The Mk4 chopped and pryed an egress in @ 15 minutes. This was a hardwood frame, plywood and aluminium skinnned affair with unknown electrical and plumbing lines in side the walls. I tried to spark a metal match without success. I then split a seasoned oak billet and started a fire with matches. By this time the Mk4's edge was an utter disaster,my hands brutalised from the handle and left handed sheath still horrid. About sunset the caravan suddenly colapsed in on itself.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Hey Sargey, thought I would pop in and tell some new lies here. We have 3 major brushfires, a grocery market strike and some Austrian bodybuilder taking over as Gaulieter,er Governor of California. Makes me want to take a Sir Richard Burton survival kit ( brally-sp-, cigar ,claret and sabre) and run for the Arizona border.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i have had a "D" MOD survival knife! :-D

i already had a folding gerber knife, but i wanted something bomb proof for other camp tasks.

i have used several different knifes in my life but none seem as reliable as the D.

the tasks i use mine for are:

chopping wood to size for shelters
digging turf
banging wooden DIY pegs in the ground
stripping small twigs from large branches
cutting points onto wood.

i have made a 6" wooden tent peg with my "D" in about 2 minutes!
also pot holders and a fire bow kit.

it is as someone has mentioned a hand axe of sorts, but with some patience you can do finer work.

i have my lock knife for really tricky stuff.

as for the "army" looks, well theres not actually much to see, the knife has a wooden handle, the blade colour is matt black and the sheath is pretty boring plain leather.

you can't wear it in public anyway! :roll:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The MOD survival knife was made by a committee and doesn't know what it wants to be. They weigh a ton but you can - literally - drive a tank over them. Personally, if I've got a job that needs a small axe, I'll get a small axe. I guess they'd be excellent with a baton but I still reckon they're too big for normal camp work.

I have to say, I've never seen anyone in the military actually carry one.

Cheers,

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE