Mod for Mora Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevec038

Aug 11, 2008
Del City, OK, USA
After reading all the good things about the Mora knives, I bought one a few months back and asked you all what would be the best thing to do with it first. Most of you mentioned putting a patina of somekind on it to help prevent rust. Between that and use the color is coming along nicely. I want to make a new sheath for it and am thinking of removing the blade guard using a dremel tool than shaping it in order to make what to me is a more attractive sheath. My question is do you readers think removing the guard to make the sheath is a good idea. Alternatives?
Thanks,
Stevec038
Midwest City, OK
USA

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Steve, there was a time when I wouldn't buy a hunting knife that didn't have a guard. But consider this: the only function of the guard is to keep your hand from slipping forward and sliding down the blade and giving you a nasty cut in the process. But, kitchen knives never have guards and how many times has you hand slipped down the blade? If the guard is ruining the looks of the knife or interfering with the sheath, dremel away! Hey, if you ruin it you're not out that much money.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Go for it. I think the only time a guard is useful is if you were trying to stab something, not really a need in the outdoor pursuits IMO. If it's in the way, just cut it off! :)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I use a stainless mora for prepping pheasants and rabbits. It can get a little slippy when covered in goo.

I'd seriously leave that guard alone.

Not marketing but I'm happy to make you a bshcraft sheath that fits it with the fingerguard, have a look in makers market.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Which mora is it?

Generally, I have little use for a guard but I don't mind a slight finger groove or nub of a guard.

knife_guards1b.jpg

I think the Mora 510 and 545 have one of the best handles going (top one is a 545).

But you don't even need the little nub if the handle is nicely (and not grossly) sculpted. Rod Garcia built his carver based somewhat on the 510.

skookum_carver1d.jpg

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
510 and 545 rock. They are all I use now, having tried and then sold off various production 'bushcraft' knives. They weigh so little it is easier to run both the carbon and stainless, use the stainless for food prep and carbon for everything else.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE