mmmmmm, Badger tonight!

ecobandit

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
northumberland
trouble with eating roadkill and I believe many people do is that unless you,ve actually seen it being knocked over you don,t know how it died ,too many badgers are piosoned or shot then thrown on the roadside to make it look like they,ve been run over gourmet beware!!!!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a problem around here :(
I believe however that if you have a signed statement from a vet, and that is shown with the appropriate roadkill carcass, then the wildlife police have some input and SNH can issue some kind of certificate akin to the cites thing.
It's a huge load of bother though...........and if it is roadkill it's probably pretty mangled anyway.
Don't fancy cooking a brock........though there's an old song about hunting the otter and the brock, the hart, the hare and the heather cock, and pulling limpets from the rocks. " tae mak ye dishes daintie".........the lad is trying to persuade the girl that he'll provide well for her even if there isn't much money. :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Actually it's perfectly legal if you can prove it was legally obtained. For example, if a cop saw you collect it as roadkill or had a vets certificate stating such, otherwise it certainly is not on and will be treated as suspicion of crime if you do have in your possession without such proof...

There is no cultural clause for it's use for sporrans...

for more info and support please see

National Federation of Badgergroups

or

www.scottishbadgers.org.uk

Ws

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Oops, should have put a joke smiley in. Sorry folks, was kidding.:eek: :eek:

You will see from my previous posts I'm for conserving and protecting Badgers.

Saw 'beware badgers' sign y'day near Almondell Country Park.

Nick

SCR.
Don't think you needed a joke smiley to be honest.

I'm all for conservation, especially of endangered species, but once it's roadkill I see no problem eating it. (That said, I would make a clear moral distinction between swerving to hit and accidentally hitting)

I suppose it's the "waste not" view. It's dead either way, eat it or let it rot? if it's fresh and basically intact it'd be a shame to waste it.

It's a shame they are so endangered.

So - assuming you're ok to have a dead badger part if a cop sees you collect it as roadkill or you get a vet's certificate... how does one go about having it legitimised like that without taking so long the meat spoils?
This is an academic enquiry as I hope never to see a badger that's met its demise in that way, but I'd be interested to know for knowing's sake.

ecobandit

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
northumberland
theres a good few people out there who have hit badgers and lived to regret it I,ve repaired many a vehicle thats hit a badger and believe me those people will do the best they can to avoid badgers in future,its akin to hitting a dry stone wall they might be small but they,re solid critters

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
theres a good few people out there who have hit badgers and lived to regret it I,ve repaired many a vehicle thats hit a badger and believe me those people will do the best they can to avoid badgers in future,its akin to hitting a dry stone wall they might be small but they,re solid critters

I saw a Badger nearly hit a person on the Bushmoot...But that's another story:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
He was awfully good at it too :approve:
Though it would have been an ideal source of natural materials according to my compatriots :cool:

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE