Missing Hikers Find Survival Kit In Wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

b1k3rwaif

Nov 1, 2005
HERTS
| Print This Story
PALM SPRINGS, Calif. -- A man and woman reported missing after they were separated from their tour group were found Tuesday in the mountains of Riverside County.

The couple said that they thought no one would find them. They became lost Saturday night when the tour group was hiking.

"Things can go from great to horrible in just a matter of minutes, and it makes you prioritize what's important in your life," said Brandon Day, 28.
The group of 43 people was in Palm Springs for a convention. Tour coordinators noticed that only 41 people returned from Sunday's hike. Day and Gina Allen, 24, were left behind when the tour group boarded the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway and returned to the bus.

Crews searched for the Dallas couple until late Monday night and resumed the search early Tuesday morning.

"We ran each ridge we could," said rescuer Pete Carlson. "We'd go out and yell."

Day said the couple followed a stream as they attempted to find a route out of the brush. He said they slept about 15 to 20 minutes at a time.

"It was so cold," Day said. "I didn't know how many nights we could have survived."

Carlson said crewmembers saw smoke from a fire that the couple built. The smoke was coming from a rugged area about four miles below the trail.

"The weather conditions were perfect," said rescuer Jim Manues. "They were right next to water. The issue was it was very steep, very dangerous. When we go in there, we use technical equipment. They had nothing."

Sgt. Earl Quinata of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department said the couple found a backpack that contained survival supplies. Quinata said the backpack belonged to John Donovan, a hiker from Virginia who was reported missing about one year ago.

They found the pack belonging to Donovan at about 5 p.m., Sunday. Quinata said items in the pack allowed the couple to build a fire.

Day said Donovan, 60, left what looked like a "small campsite." He said the matches were the "most crucial" items in the pack.

Day and Allen were treated for dehydration and minor injuries.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/9188018/detail.html

that was a major stroke of luck...

moral ....BE PREPARED (if you lose your rucksack(how?) hope someone who needs it,finds it)

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
One mans misfortune another mans luck etc and it was lucky for those two! The importance of having the right gear with you.

I'd like to know what happend to Donovan, looks like they never found him or his remains.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Just goes to show you, never leave home with out the ability to produce fire, make shelter and get water...

It is rather unfortunate about the other bloke, but it is good that his kit saved some lives in the end..

Karl

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
spoony said:
What even when your going to the local supermarket?? :rolleyes: :D

A friend of mine had just been to the supermarket and decided to walk to a waterfall in the forest 5 minutes from the town centre and 2 from the supermarket.

While walking on a trail, the ground collapsed and he tumbled down the slope. . Although he is a fit compact man with great strength to weight ratio and a former British Olympian in his 30s he was unable to climb up the steep ridge. He decided to walk around the spur, got lost and spent the rest of the day and night and following day walking swimming and trying to get out. No food no torch nothing but his car keys credit card (Don't leave home without it)!

The Ghurka Dog Unit and later half the battalion were deployed to look for him and helicopters were up the next morning. The OC was consoling the wife by saying he might never be found!!

Later that day he was found, funnily enough by his wife (she always seems to know what he is up to) who was also searching as she felt she had to do something. He heard her shouting.

I don't carry the fire kit but there's one in every one of our cars and a knife as well.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Just discovered this thread today so thought I’d update it and fill in a few blanks as I found it all very interesting and quite moving.

Associate Press Article said:
They discovered a campsite in a dead-end gorge. There was a foam sleeping mat, a poncho thrown into some branches for shade, a backpack, disposable razor, spoon and tennis shoes.

Day and Allen were elated, thinking someone there could help them find the way out. But something was wrong. The gear was wet. A radio and flashlight were corroded. They realized the place was deserted.

“I could just feel myself struck down,” Allen said.

Eerie journal discovery

They found identification showing the camper was Donovan, 60, a retired social worker from Virginia. They learned later that he was an experienced hiker who had been following the 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail, from Southern California to the Canadian border, when he vanished May 2, 2005, in icy weather.

His journal, in the form of notes written on sketch paper and on the back of maps, depicted a man without hope of rescue, Day said.

“His last journal entry was one year ago to the day that we found it, which was very eerie,” Day said. “Nobody knew where he was, nobody knew to come looking for him, so he was preparing for the end. We were looking at the words of a man who was passing.”

They found salvation in his backpack: a warm sweater for Allen, dry socks for Day and matches. They lit a small signal fire and spotted a helicopter in the distance, but the crew did not see them.

Start fire to get attention

On Tuesday morning, they came to a large culvert choked with dried-out vines and other foliage. Day struck another match.

“The whole acre or two caught fire, created a really big smoke signal” that finally alerted a helicopter crew.
Link to full article.

John Donovan
060511_donovan_hmed_6a.standard.jpg

Article said:
Brandon Day wants Donovan’s relatives to know that his demise helped save them. “With tragedy comes rebirth,” he said. “We have a real special thanks for that person.”

After the couple were found they sent in a search team and found this brave mans remains just a 100 yards from the campsite (link to article). It turns out that he was most likely injured and got trapped in a dead end gorge. It is a bit morbid but interesting observation that his intact remains were found is a sitting position on a log near the camp and so it is thought he actually died from hypothermia during a severe snow storm that hit the area after he was last seen rather than any injury he sustained. I suppose this would explain why there were still matches and warm clothing in his pack.

I also shiver to think that he knew people weren’t looking for him as he had a radio with him (a bit of a double edged sword when it comes to moral in a survival situation I suppose) and it was at least 7 days until the alert was raised when he failed to pick up a package he had mailed to himself in a post office along the trail (Pacific Coast Trail).

Rest in Peace to Jason Donovan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE