Missing British backpacker found alive after 12 days in Australian bush...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I agree that food and shelter are priorities and that in theory you can go several weeks without food. But when you read about actual events or even watch shows like Survivorman where he actually tries these things out, given water and shelter, the lack of food has a big effect on your physical and mental abilities after just a couple of days. In the area he was in at this time of year water would not have been a problem.

Lack of food does have an effect in the beginning of an extended fast in terms of the hunger signals the body sends. The body really does not like to consume itself and complains loudly in the beginning. Most people experience the beginnings of this on a regular basis. The myth is that those signals continue at that same frequency for the duration, they do not.

I have had two extended stays in the wilderness with little or no food, both very physical. The first was an eight days "off the land" survival exercise in Pennsylvania, the second was a ten day canoe trip in Canada done on extremely small rations. I have also done countless four day trips under survival conditions on a ration of about 300 calories per day.

After the initial intense hunger pain subsides you pass into a phase in which the hunger message is always present but the siren is turned off. The lack of energy seems to come and go, you do want to rest but that rest really does pay off and you feel better shortly. Unless you have some underlying medical condition extended fasting is not a serious threat.

One thing I find that helps a great deal with the energy level is to eat strategically. If you have some food resource then discipline yourself to not eat it until after the hunger pains have gone away. In that economy a little bit of food goes a long way if it is eaten before you have to work hard. Forget about "mealtimes" and only eat a portion of the food you have or find to fuel up for strenuous exercise. It is much easier to sleep on an empty stomach than it is to hike several miles. Mac

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Interesting post, 'Pict'.

I lose my appetite completely in the hills, and worry that I'm not taking on enough calories for the work I'm doing. Breakfast is usually coffee and a packet of instant custard. Midday, coffee and a couple of plain oatcakes. In the evening, 5 spoons of bulgar wheat and 5 lentils boiled together with an instant soup or stock cube. I don't know why it is that I can't eat properly, some have suggested that it's because I'm dehydrated

JIm

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I lost 4 stone in 8 weeks last year on a LighterLife diet (before anyone chimes in with "That's not healthy!", well it's a hell of a lot healthier than being on hypertension tablets which I don't need since I lost the weight, and had to have a medical before I started).

Anyway, it uses ketosis as the process - 500 calories a day. I was hungry for about 48 hours and thereafter didn't get hungry at all, and in fact had to remind myself to consume the few calories I was allowed. The weight came off at a pound a day, day in day out.

The one factor that was important was fluid, I had to consume 3 or 4 litres a day to feel OK. If I dropped off, then not only did I feel rank but also found the weight didn't come off as fast, and energy levels plummeted.

Tobes

adderrustler

Aug 27, 2007
bridgewater
personall i think the whole thing was staged, i have been to the blue mountains and where he was there foot paths everywhere, plus if you look at the sky news footage for someone who had been living rough in the bush for 12 days he was looking in good health, no sign of shock or weakness, after 12 days as he is a light build he would have been Gaunt and drawn with a pale complexion at the very least. i have seen guys on survival courses who know they are not going to dye looking worse than that after 7 days with food and water. Just the worry of not being found and dying will make you look worse than normal, there are rumors that he also has been interested in survival skills for some years now, it all just smacks of a set up to me, however if it was a genuine case then i am glad that he got to see his parents again, because many in that situation don't.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ive heard somewhere that rescuers have a real problem with people hiding from them - that they are lost but dont want the `humiliation` of being rescued they try to get themselves out of the situation and so it can drag on. perhaps there was an element of that?

Hangman

Tenderfoot
personall i think the whole thing was staged, i have been to the blue mountains and where he was there foot paths everywhere, plus if you look at the sky news footage for someone who had been living rough in the bush for 12 days he was looking in good health, no sign of shock or weakness, after 12 days as he is a light build he would have been Gaunt and drawn with a pale complexion at the very least. i have seen guys on survival courses who know they are not going to dye looking worse than that after 7 days with food and water. Just the worry of not being found and dying will make you look worse than normal, there are rumors that he also has been interested in survival skills for some years now, it all just smacks of a set up to me, however if it was a genuine case then i am glad that he got to see his parents again, because many in that situation don't.

Yes, he looked a damm sight better than many people I've pulled of the hills after a day or two.

Also in his first statement he says that he decided to take a chance on some nuts that he had seen kangeroos eating and some plant that looks like rocket.

He later said that he knew the nuts where edible, hang on he's changed his story, looks far better than he should and is now milking this for all it's worth?

Call me very cynical but I have my doubts...

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
maybe its just since i've been a member on here but would you not at least take a decent size knife and method of lighting a fire? at least with these 2 items you have a chance of making a fire for warmth and a signal?

I know i wouldnt go for a hiking trip without these, doesnt matter if its a lighter, matches, firesteel just something to start a fire off.

Hangman

Tenderfoot
Most of the people our squadron pulled of the hills had naff all equipment - no warm gear or waterproofs let alone a knife and means of lighting a fire. Especially in summer they look at the warm weatehr and assume that at 1500m up it will still be nice, calm and warm.

Many people underestimate the weather.

However, the more I've seen about the guy the more I keep thinking 'hoax' my reasoning is thus:

1. His physical condition, he looks far better than he should do after his ordeal, especially when you compare the before and after pics, he was also out in the hills only a day or so after being discharged from hospital giving his 'exclusive' interview and looking very comfortable.

2. There is a history of bushcraft survival hoaxes in Australia, some are found out in short order some have come to light years afterwards, so it hasn't been done before.

3. He has reportedly done his bronze and silver DofE awards (both including planning, prepareing for and carrying out an 'expedition' in 'wild' / outdoors country) So howe did he manage to forget ALL of the things he must have learnt to pass his DofE.

4. One project he did for his DofE was on, guess what ??? ............Bushcraft.

5. He didn't sign the bushcraft register, or hire an emergency beacon.

I'm ex RAF SAR but chatting to guys I know who are still current the general opinion is that the guy is pulling a swift one. Either that or he is one of the luckiest numpties around, if that is the case I might consider writing to him and asking for next week's lottery jackpot numbers.

Something I can't figure out is that mobile coverage in that area is non existant, that's why you can hire emergency beacons, so why do the press keep banging on about him not having a moby ?

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Look at his face during questioning, there is deception present.

Whilst he may have been out there for the period stated...perhaps he was better prepared than he professes.
This might have started as something to impress his father or girlfriend, then simply got out of control!
Later in interviews he shows concern (Worry), at the point when some folk orchestrating such a stunt might realize it had gone too far.

Either way, the story as told does not appear to be the whole truth... :nono:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry Leonidas,
don't have a telly so don't know what footage you're partaining too, are there links to the footage your thinking of? Would make things clearer
Sorry if I'm being an ****!
GB

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Hi GB I was referring to the initial news footage when he exited the police vehicle and walked to the hospital entrance....

Video

Check general demeanour, eyes, eye contact or lack of, plus a variety of other facial features..........

Have a look at this picture
He is on the hospital bed, his father has his arms on him...
Look at the smile....it is not a true smile, head tilted away, shame?.......does he look elated / releived / truly happy (Should be something given folks keep saying how near death it could have been)
The video footage of this period is clearer but I could not find it...

There are other facial aspects that contribute, but that's another story. ;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cool, must say that I was "wondering" bout his plight, but then if I was filmed after a few days "lost" in the bush, I don't know if I oculd look at a camera, think embarisment would take hold. On the little footage I've seen I'll let him off for know, will however go have a dig and see what else comes up.
GB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE