Mini maglite upgrade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve75

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2012
Tyne & wear
First post on these forums so hello everyone. I own 3 maglite torches. 2 minis and a 3D cell. I know mags are no longer the best for power but after 20 years of service I am not wanting to change. The D cell is running a cree xp e conversion and i am very happy with it. One of my mini has a nitize conversion i fitted years ago this is not so good you can't focus the beam and output isn't great. I want to upgrade my other mini 2 aa now but not sure what to get. Can anyone recommend an upgrade with good power and uses original reflector so it still can be focused.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
A quick look around the net shows you can get dropins for a tenner, for a 1w Niteze. On the other hand, you can get a 3w or more led torch from Deal Extreme (look at another thread in this section) for about the same price.
I can't be bothered with modding an old incandecent torch (they are now in a box somewhere), because my £7.50 torch does the job much better. I'd just buy something new instead.

steve75

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2012
Tyne & wear
I know all about the torches available via ebay and other sites for around £7-15. Thing is my mags were all gifts from relatives over the years and have sentimental value. I know the price of upgrade is more than a more modern torch. I was simply after some feedback from members on how some of the newer upgrades performed.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I tend to get sent a couple of mini mags each year from work, so as i'm not into them for anything money wise i have tried most the common LED upgrades.

My opinion is, they're crap and a waste of money.

Problem is, it's a fundamentally flawed design straight from the off, with a poor reflector, lens and virtually no heatsink potential or voltage regulation.

If your sentimentally invested in them, then in all honesty i'd stick them on a book shelf, because as torches they're not really much use these days.

You will get a slightly brighter beam for sure, problem is that beam is absolutely terrible, it's got more dark spots than a blackhead suffering lepper that works as a target in a paintball testing factory.

To give you some idea how bad they are, the 2 lights on the left are Fenix LD01's, these are AAA lights with 72 lumens output.
My "TerraLUX" TLE-5Ex "upgrade" is the brightest off all the upgrades i've tried, they say it's 140 lumens.

BUT the beam is THAT bad i'd sooner use the LD01 any day of the week.

IMG_8825.jpg

To give you some idea how dated the minimag is, that torch to the right of the red minimag is a Fenix TK21, that's 470 lumens for around the same physical size and weight as a minimag.

So my advice is to setup a nice museum shelf for your maglites as to be brutally honest that's pretty much all they're good for these days.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland

steve75

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2012
Tyne & wear
Ok after a bit thought im not going to bother with a mod for my mini mag. Going to buy another torch. But i would like something the same size as a solitare so it will fit in a belt pouch with my swiss army knife. Any suggestions max price £15.

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
I converted my mini maglite to led and still carry it on my belt every day at work. That's 19 years of use and one bulb change. A few sets of batteries though! I've a few other torches in various bags, but for duty I always come back to th little maglite on my belt. Mind you the big maglite in my bag is great for smashing glass or other things (on the odd occasion that's been needed). Can't beat a big lump of metal for longevity. I agree there are brighter and cheaper lights out there but I swear by my maglites.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
One of my mags has one of the Terraluxs and an Nitelize IQ switch.

No problem with the Led and it is focusable.

The switch sort of loses me a bit, on and off make sense, and the brighness levels are nice but the flashing business is for bike lights.

What I really want is a led torch the size of a solitire, cheap enough that I can have three or four of them in my SAK and Leatherman pouches.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Yeah, but if it worked 20 years ago, then it still works now. Not as bright as modern torches, but bright enough to do a job. The world hasn't got any darker. All that has changed is our expectations, which now seem to be to see perfectly and clearly over long distances in the dark.

If the OP wants to use a maglite, then he should. maglites still work. Just because other torches are brighter and/or cheaper doesn't change that.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I like the rolson range maplin Supermarkets sell, cheap cheerfull and just as good as maglite or petzl or surefire...... well maybe not as expensive as surefire.

Solitare is kept attached to my wee swiss knife, AA minimag is on a lanyard. Doubt i will upgrade either to led any time soon.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I wonder how we all coped 20 years ago with such bad torches? :rolleyes:

I own a lot of Mags and I think it says a lot that only one of them is upgraded.

On my converted mag if the led goes, it has a bulb. What do led torches do when the led goes?

I get the advantage of Led torches, they last longer, and you can carry more of them because they tend to be smaller.

To be honest I am leaning towards a led headlamp, a candle/oil lantern, and my two mags as back up.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Yeah, but if it worked 20 years ago, then it still works now. Not as bright as modern torches, but bright enough to do a job. The world hasn't got any darker. All that has changed is our expectations, which now seem to be to see perfectly and clearly over long distances in the dark.

If the OP wants to use a maglite, then he should. maglites still work. Just because other torches are brighter and/or cheaper doesn't change that.

well said that man.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece

No doubt maglites work.

If you can get a light that's brighter, lighter, battery lasts longer, cheaper to run, has a better beam pattern all for the same money then it does sort of beg the question why bother with the old maglite.

Your spot on with only our expectations changing.
Thing is though i can struggle around under my car with a mini maglite, not really being able to see properly OR i can douse the entire area with a glow of light and make my life a LOT easier.

It's really a case of biting off your nose to spite your face.

I could buy say a Model T Ford to get to work and back.
But if i can buy a car for the same money that's more efficient, safer, faster, more comfortable and still fun to drive i'd have to be a bit mental not to move on as technology moves on.

I have maglites.
I have one of those massive 6 cell jobbies, several minimags and a couple of solitaires.
I've used them stock and i've used them upgraded.

As a rough example my SC600 dramatically brighter, batteries last longer, LED lasts longer than the bulbs, has a far better beam pattern, all this and it easily fits in my pocket.

If people want to continue using their maglites then that's entirely up to them, some people still drive model T's as well.

If i'm advising someone though i'll try and give the best advice i can from my own personal experiences.
In my experience my opinion is, it's a waste of money messing about with maglites in 2012.

I own a lot of Mags and I think it says a lot that only one of them is upgraded.

On my converted mag if the led goes, it has a bulb. What do led torches do when the led goes?

I get the advantage of Led torches, they last longer, and you can carry more of them because they tend to be smaller.

To be honest I am leaning towards a led headlamp, a candle/oil lantern, and my two mags as back up.

I've been using LED lights for a few years now.
I carry a LED light with me daily.
I've used LED lights extensively from mountain biking to free diving.
My TK35 has been dropped down a 100m cliff face, looked like it bounced on every rock on the way down, apart from a small dent there is hardly a scratch on it, and 1 year on it still works.
I'm tough and expect a lot from my torches but i still have yet to have a LED fail on me.

Of course anything can and will eventually fail, so i take a small backup torch with me.

Should also say i've gotten through 2 maglite bulbs in a 16 hour shift before now.
Granted the light was banged about a fair bit, but no less than i have down for 2 off years with my SC600 and that still works.

Should also add that it's not just the advent of LED technology that's moved things on, it's also battery chemistry and technology.

I have a a 7.2v 4300mAh NiMh pack of cells that weighs just over 400g.
One of my 7.4v 6000mAh LiPo packs weighs just over 300g.

The LiPo is capable of 50c bursts, with the NiMh you'd be lucky to see 10c.

The only thing holding LED torches back right now is heat dissipation.

Ok i understand not everyone wants a wall of light when they go out at night.
BUT my 2000+ lumen torches also have the ability to drop down to 20 lumens and lower if need be, and at 20 lumens my TK70 runs for 168 hours on 1 set of batteries, PLUS you have 2200 lumens available at the click of a switch if need be.

The only really negative even a fussy person could aim at LED's is the tint is not as natural as an incandescent, but we now have a good tint selection for many torch models in a range.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Here you go, take a gander at this comparison.
This is a 4D maglite against a SC600 a torch that's small enough that i carry it daily.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e8Nim8CTqE&feature=youtu.be&t=3m31s[/video]

Note not only is it in a different ball park output wise, just look at that massive black spot in the middle of the 4D maglite.

I rest my case :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE