Mini keg wood stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
Howdy,

OK, it's about time I posted something on this forum instead of lurking, soaking up the expertise and trying to resist buying things from the classifieds forum :)

Here's the latest project, a portable wood stove made from a 5L steel Heineken keg and a couple of aerosol cans. It's only about 6 inches tall, and the chimney is removable, so it's relatively portable - most of the body design is shamelessly nicked from this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n2vpn0OpqM

Take one mini keg, drink until empty, chop out the middle and the wee gas canister thing that's inside it, rivet the top and bottom pieces together, cut out door-hole, use offcuts to make door itself and add hinge/handle from bottom of tool box, cut chimney hole in top, rivet small piece of deodorant can over hole and fill small gaps with fire cement, burn/scrub/sand off paint/nasty coatings.

It needs some removable legs, I'm still waiting for a dry day so I can paint it and the chimney needs extending, for which I'll have to womble some more cans, but I thought it was ready enough to show off.

I did have trouble with the chimney, but I found that a sure deodorant can was slightly narrower than most comparable aerosol cans, so standard polish/hairspray/air freshener cans will fit over the wee stump, and it leaves enough room on the 'hob' for my wee 10cm billy.

When I get my act together I'll post some of the other stuff I've been up to - I've been a bit housebound with a new baby of late, so less walking and more tinkering has gone on :)

So without further ado, piccies (please ignore the orks in the background):

With 'chimney':

2010-01-27212505Small.jpg

Without:

2010-01-27212519Small.jpg

Top:

2010-01-27212533Small.jpg

Bottom:

2010-01-27212552Small.jpg

Door open:

2010-01-27212650Small.jpg

Comments/criticisms etc welcome,

Cheers :)

Dec 30, 2009
northampton
looks well nice flat cooking area no spilt billys, hows it burning? just built one out of 1945 rectangle ammo box gona post some pic when got cam sorted i got some stainless steel pipe from scrap yard 3 quid in a three foot lenght works well if not a bit heavy wana cut into 3 and hinge and add clips that come of a knackered tool box for compactability, the sticky back foil fire place tape can be used to form gasket were the pipes meet ive used it on the inside were the lid meets the box and and built it up round the edges so gives a snug fit had the flames licking over the top when top off and tapes doing its job, wot ideas you had about legs? i got 4 mini camera tripod legs from tesco for a quid each it looked the biz but first burn and and the tread and nut melted so back to q1, davey at the jan mids meet had his sat on a wire bar-b-q type grill and that seamed to work well with the bonus of being able to tent peg it down.

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
Had to give it a quick burn to set the fire cement, so thought I'd take a pic.

Stove is currently covered in wet stove paint, waiting for it to dry out a bit before i spray the bottom.

2010-02-06130357Small.jpg

Cheers,
Glyn.

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
Yea - When i bought that one, it was a tenner - about a pound a pint, so not too bad if you don't mind heineken (I'll drink owt, within reason). Went back to asda for another (going to make a chimenea for the garden), and they'd gone up to fifteen quid!

I won't be buying anymore, but I'll keep my eye open on recycling day.

Cheers,
Glyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE