Home made mild steel fire pit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
So I went camping last weekend and tested it out.

gBRJnEM.jpg

The wood provided was pretty wet.

Q8zEIpy.jpg

qx7meQv.jpg

So I couldn't be bothered messing about with or getting smoked out, it so just used charcoal.

u24hYQ7.jpg

oUCbZuh.jpg

Then used the little grill I had with me to cook the rest of the meat I had with me.

U3BD7PV.jpg

Pf895Yy.jpg

ZDAsWaQ.jpg

It had no airflow issues too. Just needs a little shaving off one of the slots to make it a bit easier to separate, but that's a 30 second fix.

My simple setup for the night too:

u0w3Ufv.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Jeez! Did you have to cook such nice meat to show us? Making me hungry!
I have a bunch of steel kebab skewers, how long would they need to be to span your stove top?
Question: did the charcoal heat warp any of your stove plates?

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Jeez! Did you have to cook such nice meat to show us? Making me hungry!
I have a bunch of steel kebab skewers, how long would they need to be to span your stove top?
Question: did the charcoal heat warp any of your stove plates?

Lol it was a big daddy rump from Sainsbury's, grate value stake for only a fiver.

To answer your question if you had them across the shorter length your talking about 300mm the longer way is 390mm as the slits I cut in are 30mm from the edges of the 280mmx450mm plates.

There was zero warping. I didn't bother taking pics of it after as it looked exactly the same. All I did was pour a liter of water in it after about 12 hours as the coals and log I put on top of the charcoal once finished cooking were still a bit hot. A coupe of hours later I took it apart, it just had a bit of soot stuck to it, which I cleaned off with a wet wipe. You'd of thought it still unused. I might paint it with heatproof spray paint as it'll keep it from rusting.

I am going to get a bigger sheet of the mesh and cut it to sit on top of it, 20mm longer than it put together so it still fits in the bag with it.

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE