millbank bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I've struggled with various pumping water filters for a few years and am sick to death of them-the tubes, the fiddling, the cleaning, the time it takes etc...
I've picked up a Millbank bag filter and am thrilled with using it although I notice that many times (particularly when a bit chilly) it will start off streaming away fine but in short order it slows right down to a trickle and then a few drops at a time. The bag isn't dirty or clogged.
Any thoughts out there?

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Farpoint,

It is probably the fibres swelling that is slowing it down, do you thoroughly soak before use?

LS

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not a problem, soak the bag in the water you will be filtering, then fill it and hang it up. Let the first few inches of water flow back to source then pout your receptacle underneath to collect the filtered water. It's gonna need boiling to make it sterile, so go and light a fire. By the time you've done that, your millbank will have filtered the water. Rinse the bag and stow it away, dry it first if you won't be using it again soon. It's all about concurrent activities!

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
thanks for the replies, I thought I had been soaking thoroughly and it always seems to start off fine but then gradually peters out. Perhaps more soaking needed.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
It might just need a good wash, bung it into the washing machine with the rest of the laundry and then put it over the bath, fill it up a few times and see how it goes, there might be micro particles embedded into the weave slowing down the release of water.

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
For the bag to be working properly it will only be a trickle.
As has been said, soak the bag in a stream and then fill. The initial flow will be fast and should be utilised to wash off the outside of the bag. Once the flow has slowed then the bag is doing its job, filtering out all those bits of dirt etc.Then boil the water and enjoy a good cup of tea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE