milk treating for wood question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have heard of using milk - casein - to seal wood but cannot find a detailed description of how to go about it.
Does anyone out there have a link/tutorial for this.
I am thinking of trying this for my Kuksa and trencher.
Cheers in advance :)

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Not sure John, it's just how it was explained to me, that was with a spoon though, anything larger may be different.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know of it as a way of waterproofing hearth fired clay vessels. Ones that aren't hard ceramicised.

Basically the pot is taken out of the fire, the ashes quickly brushed out of the inside and from the outside and then warmed milk is poured over and into it.
The lipids seal the porosity.

You can make a cracked china teacup sound enough to use by boiling it in milk for an hour too.

cheers,
Toddy

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I have been playing around with this and got surprisingly good results by leaving boiled milk in the kuksa for a few hours, then pouring this out, wiping off the excess and then rubbing it to a shine with a tea towel. I took some pictures of the process for my blog but they are hardly informative. Before the treatment the coffee would leak out of the end grain, but now it stays in so I assume that it worked. And the shine it leaves is a nice bonus :)

I have also heard of people putting the kuksa in cold milk and bringing this to a boil for five minutes, and repeat this a two times. I never tried this, since my simple method seems to work fine. I couln`t find any proper sources online either so I just started to play around with it.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Oh, and to add: i do not think the casein paint is a good option because it will form a layer on top of the wood rather than seal the grain.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been playing around with this and got surprisingly good results by leaving boiled milk in the kuksa for a few hours, then pouring this out, wiping off the excess and then rubbing it to a shine with a tea towel. I took some pictures of the process for my blog but they are hardly informative. Before the treatment the coffee would leak out of the end grain, but now it stays in so I assume that it worked. And the shine it leaves is a nice bonus :)

I have also heard of people putting the kuksa in cold milk and bringing this to a boil for five minutes, and repeat this a two times. I never tried this, since my simple method seems to work fine. I couln`t find any proper sources online either so I just started to play around with it.

That sounds the simplest method :)
I will buy some full fat milk and give it a go!

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
@mesquite: Sounds logical. I'll have a go once.
@John: good luck and let us know how it went. I'd like to learn more about the process so seeing more results is helpful.

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have boiled in milk as per Wille Sundqvist's book. I've only done it a few times as it felt horribly wasteful of milk. If I had batches to do then I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad!

I like your idea Two Socks. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have boiled my 2 kuksas in whole milk for 2 hours and am now leaving them full of milk to cool slowly.
I also made some casein as per Mesquites link and have painted my trencher with it....
I will leave this for a couple of hours then wipe off and polish up all 3 items :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK the milk was crusting on the wood so I thought it was time to have a look see.
Milk drained out, excess wiped off and the whole lot rubbed up with a dry cloth.
All the wood is a lot darker than it was, especially the Kuksas, in where the end grain has definitely soaked up the liquids.
Whether or not this will be a permanent feature or will fade as the whole lot dries out completely (it is dry to the touch now ) will be seen.
The wood has buffed to a delightful sheen.
I will report back after 12 or so hours when the wood should have fully dried.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Really enjoying this thread. BCUK, is like a tree of knowledge, every day here, there is another new tasty fruit for me.
John post some pics if you can please. I'd love to see the results.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE