Midlands May '09 Meet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As Wallenstein said - wood isn't usually a problem.

Although it's ok to have ground fires the site prefers* that they are kept to a minimum - and other than the communal fire they need to be left 'absolute minimum trace'.

* Outside of each pitch's communal fire area the site would actually prefer users to have contained and/or raised fires - this is another concession that we've 'won' through our diligence over a period of time :cool: .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... old skirting boards ...

I've just found the following whilst doing a search for a member of family :yikes:

'PLEASE NOTE; It is illegal to burn any timber containing glue, resin, timber treatments, paint etc. This includes; plywood, mdf, chipboard, laminates & all

other similar materials. Doing so is a breach of environmental laws and could result in you being prosecuted by the environment agency'.

Found here - I've tried trying to verify it :banghead: but so many of the links are for foreign countries - and those in plain English don't always tally up with the info :confused: .

It just shows that you learn something every day. Unfortunately it's not always something that you wish to learn :cop: .

corr

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2006
crewe, cheshire
so this is all subject to change as they never get it right but

Thursday day weather
Heavy Rain Shower

* Heavy Rain Shower
* Max: 16°C 61°F
* Sunrise: 05:00

Friday day weather
White Cloud

* White Cloud
* Max: 15°C 59°F
* Sunrise: 04:59

Saturday day weather
Sunny

* Sunny
* Max: 20°C 68°F
* Sunrise: 04:58

Sunday day weather
Sunny Intervals

* Sunny Intervals
* Max: 20°C 68°F
* Sunrise: 04:56

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2199?area=CV7

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Have a great time everybody who's going, wish i was coming but i'm going down Devon tomorrow to do some camping with the family. :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Have a great time everybody who's going, wish i was coming but i'm going down Devon tomorrow to do some camping with the family. :D

At least you're getting out camping Andy. Have a good time and we'll make you jealous of missing out on the meet when we post all the pics :D

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hows the new drainage doing on site, chaps that know?

Was going to bring the pyramid tent this time round, but if im going to be a bushcraft island of my own, i'll bring a hammock.:umbrella: :(

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Just got my stuff out, accompanied by the horror that I never washed my pots from last time!!!!!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hows the new drainage doing on site, chaps that know?

I've not had the chance to get on site for a bit. However as it's been raining on and off for the last week or so I'd assume that the site is at least 'mildly moist'.

Because of the potential dampness around where we've previously had the communal area we'll be using the same 'temp' communal as we did for the March

Meet - it should be drier at the top end of PC11.

... Was going to bring the pyramid tent this time round, but if im going to be a bushcraft island of my own, i'll bring a hammock.:umbrella: :(

It's not so much a problem when you're on the island - when the island becomes Atlantis ... :yikes:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
yeah thats about right that is! It reminded me of that bog of dispair thing in the never ending story.

Incidentally, Im considering bringing less blankets this time, is that a good idea?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
yeah thats about right that is! It reminded me of that bog of dispair thing in the never ending story.

Incidentally, Im considering bringing less blankets this time, is that a good idea?

If you're driving down then I'd say pack them Lindsey. After all you'll curse yourself if you need them and if you don't then no harm done

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... It reminded me of that bog of dispair thing in the never ending story.

But the hairy ginger one won't be with us this time ... :burnout:

... Incidentally, Im considering bringing less blankets this time, is that a good idea?

I'll second Steve. Although it depends on whether you're bringing a flock of blankets or just a couple - because of the rain the local temperature has been up and down like the proverbials drawers.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I was up at Rough Close for a couple of hours last night - ground was damp but nothing more, couple of boggy patches here and there but the ditches were dry and the ground was firm. We were round just past the campfire circle rather than PC11, but we got the Cubs running around a wide area and although we had a couple of soggy shoes there were no "up to the waist" immersions :)

And that was after the mother of all rainstorms about 2hrs previously, so with the forecast set reasonably fair for the weekend it should be grand.

There were quite a lot of little midgies around - not the proper vicious biting kind but a few of the lads were itching their heads once they worked up a bit of steam running around. I guess it's the pools of standing water and the mild temps, so an insect repellant might be worthwhile until the temperature drops later in the evening.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I was thinking instead of bringing extra blankets bringing a rabbit fur jacket I got off ebay. (it were only ten quid!!) though I havent worn it I dont know how warm it is. My reluctance to get blankets is because I have such an awful time getting in the hennessey , pushing the army blanket underneath me and on top. it doesnt help that its in three peices since I cut an apron out of it for the viking meet. I could possibly bring a sheepskin coat instead , thats the warmest thing I own and way better than an underblanket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE