Midges bedtime

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A lad I used to climb with sometimes didn't get bitten either. Everyone else would be fighting to lead(and get above the treeline into the breeze) and he'd just stoat about laughing at us all.

No repellents, vit B complex or any other anti-vampire treatments. They just didn't bite him. Nice enough guy, everyone hated him of course!:)

My eldest, Jamie, is like that too :rolleyes: His brother gets eaten alive like me though, poor sod. J can be standing there with a ring of dead midgies around him and the rest of the camp is in complete misery.....wonder if a blood transfusion would work ?

Actually, there's an idea, can we not come up with some sort of 'sacrificial offering' that would preferentially draw the midgies and leave us all in peace. A leaky sack of warm blood something or other......maybe cunningly laced with a sterilization poison so that though the blighters sook the stuff in their young won't breed.????

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you don't want an open flame how about charcoal that is meant for burning incense ? Add a few drops of bog myrtle essential oil, or citronella if you can stand the smell, and that ought to work as well as the fire.

cheers,
Toddy

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
When I was about 14/15, me and some friends got lost amongst a huge area of reeds in Donegal. We got absolutely mauled by massive black flies (like big blue bottles - horse flies??) which has to this day left me freaked out by midges or any fly that lands on me.

I smoked at the time though, and once I lit up a cigarette they backed off like the little wimps that they are! :D

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
When I was about 14/15, me and some friends got lost amongst a huge area of reeds in Donegal. We got absolutely mauled by massive black flies (like big blue bottles - horse flies??) which has to this day left me freaked out by midges or any fly that lands on me.

I smoked at the time though, and once I lit up a cigarette they backed off like the little wimps that they are! :D

oh yeah i smoked for so long but gave up 4 years ago... I still like to smoke ciggares, I don't know I got the taste for it at my honeymoon not to long ago... and now I always buy one when we go out so I can smoke it on the campsite.

This is my prefered brand: 11Eur so not cheap

Very mild doesn't burn and gives you a nice buzz ;)

montecristo-no-4-b.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had a black fly (about the size of a midge) bite me in Canada and lump went hard after much scratching a bit like a corn. I'm told they're called saroma's and removable. Moral of this tale don't scratch them.
The Canadians use a product called OFF that seems effective.

I got bitten by 'something' that came out of a permanently flooded henge monument in central Lanarkshire during three weeks geo phys work a few years ago. The lumps came up like wee hard cysts about the size of those big marrowfat peas. The last one has just been excised (posh way of saying the Doc cut them out, ouch!) from my scalp. I don't know what the blighter was, but I'm not going back :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I got bitten by 'something' that came out of a permanently flooded henge monument in central Lanarkshire during three weeks geo phys work a few years ago. The lumps came up like wee hard cysts about the size of those big marrowfat peas. The last one has just been excised (posh way of saying the Doc cut them out, ouch!) from my scalp. I don't know what the blighter was, but I'm not going back :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

I would guess cleggs, an absolute nightmare, quite big things about a centimetre long?

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I was in a bog in Connemara last year when I got bitten badly for the first time in my life. Up to then they were an annoying but tolerable part of outdoor life in the summer.. Maybe I am just paranoid about them now. Those Connemara midges may have been a mutant strain, the worst I have come across anyway. I was smoking like a trooper but it didnt bother them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I would guess cleggs, an absolute nightmare, quite big things about a centimetre long?

No, I know cleg bites all too well, I'm afraid. They come up the size of a big thick pancake, red hot, with a tight hard white line around them and so itchy I could claw my skin off to stop it.

PatrickM said there were mosqitos up there, maybe it was them but I didn't think they left lumps like those ones. Do we get black flies in Scotland like those Canadian ones?

cheers,
Toddy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Does sound mosquitoish. I got one bite a couple of years back, three last year and one so far this year. I think you suffer worse than I do from all bites but what you're describing is similar but nastier.

.....wonder if a blood transfusion would work ?

You are one sick puppy for even thinking that, let alone mentioning it and planting the seed in other folks minds.:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, he's young, fit and healthy, he ought to be good for a pint or so a month ;)

This bag of blood idea is starting to appeal somewhat........think about it, dried stuff, just rehydrate and click one of those self heat bag thingies and they'd make a mint. :D biodegradeable too if we get it right, ....and.....it could be made to work for mozzies and black flies anywhere in the world too.........can we patent this ?

cheers,
M

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Having watched the bot fly clip, I will never complain about midges again! :eek:

Simon

wow that hole in her head is nasty!! she is lucky it wasnt in the centre of her face!!

side note:
I rubbed olbas oil on my legs the other day, works a treat on tired muscles. I was wondering if Olbas oil could keep midges away seems it has a strong menthol smell and the dogs dont like it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE