Midges bedtime

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I know there has been lots of chat about midges on here but I have not found a definitive answer to the question if there is one.

What time do they come out in the evening, go to bed at night, and get up in the morning ?

I was sitting out late last wkd. letting the fire die down to nothing and I got a nice few bites after midnight. The bites swell more now than I remember when I was younger. I had put on skin so soft a few hours earlier but because of the smokey fire I forgot to re-apply it. I put it on straight away and did not get bitten again.

I am hoping to get out in a hammock and tarp for the first time soon and would like to be prepared for them. I may not be able to maintain a fire where I am going. Also I do not have a midge net for the hammock, am I mad ?

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Thanks Simon.

I do have a head net but I am having trouble sourcing a midge net that is fine enough for the hammock. There is not a great selection of outdoor stores in my area.

I got the dd camping hammock as a gift for my birthday last week. I know they do a travel hammock but they are having supply difficulties at the moment. I can get my hands on an unissued army mossie net but not sure if it is fine enough.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Find the threads by Magikelly on the group buys of hammocks, tarps and nets for the best buys. You're so right, mozzie nets just let them through.

The only things that reliably stop midgies are wind, the season and a flamethrower :( :AR15firin

I get eaten alive by the blighters, and I don't remember the bites being so bad when I was younger, either.

cheers,
Toddy

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Midgies don't have a bedtime.

If conditions are right for flying/biting then thats what they will do!

They are however susceptabile to the cold, so you are unlikely to get them on cooler evenings/nights. And numbers often drop after dark.

They aren't too keen on brilliant sunshine either, so scorching hot days are generally good.

So I guess early morning and early/later evenings and overcast days are the times to avoid or slap on the repellant.

I certainly wouldn't like to sleep out in many areas without a midge net. Make sure it is a midge net though as mossquito nets have bigger holes.

Simon, doesn't the DEET melt your net? It disolves a few artificial fibres.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
i sleep in between the two layers of my camping hamock. when the midges are really bad i just zip up. worst case scenario, head net, and body in the sleeping bag. good enough for me.
usually it is possible to keep a small fire going near your camp. this does wonders for the midges. if that is not possible, try thinking of a way to keep something burning in a can. even something tiny fed on grass will help.
most importantly, look at different camp locations. you might find somewhere better.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
All good advice folks as usual.

Toddy I have googled ultralite flamethrower but nothing out there yet !!!

I think that I just missed the last majikelly group buy for the midge nets, and I dont want to waste money on a net that will not do the job. I would like to get in on the next group buy though as his nets seem to do the trick.
I have a little firebox I made from an old army surplus stainless steel pot that I plan to cook on so I can try and keep that ticking over.

Thanks again folks

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
What time do they come out in the evening, go to bed at night, and get up in the morning ?

If there's no wind then it seems to be temperature and maybe humidity dependent.

I am hoping to get out in a hammock and tarp for the first time soon and would like to be prepared for them. I may not be able to maintain a fire where I am going. Also I do not have a midge net for the hammock, am I mad ?

You could try burning mosquito coils, strategically placed around camp.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I wasn't sure if those mosquito coils actually worked. Worth a try tho.

I know that smoke is the best way of getting rid of them but I was hoping to be able to get some kip without worrying about burning down the woods. I dont like to leave a fire of any kind unnattended. I dont want to be eaten alive either though.

Keep the advice coming though, I appreciate it all.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
I wasn't sure if those mosquito coils actually worked. Worth a try tho.

I know that smoke is the best way of getting rid of them but I was hoping to be able to get some kip without worrying about burning down the woods. I dont like to leave a fire of any kind unnattended. I dont want to be eaten alive either though.

Keep the advice coming though, I appreciate it all.

Funny,

We had no problem with the little** after around 23:00 none left at all.
First thing in the morning however they were back.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Most of the time you're looking at dawn until it either gets too hot/dry for them or a strong enough breeze disperses them.
If neither of those happen you can be stuck with them all day.

Evenings it's from when the temperature drops(can be noon, dusk or anywhere inbetween) until maybe an hour after total darkness. If it's a warm enough night they can stick around a lot longer(all night).

Changes from day to day, from place to place and they go for some folk more than others.

I only get a proper reaction to the first bites. If I'm out for a weekend the first few dozen bites on friday evening will swell up a bit and stay that way for a couple of hours. After that the bites don't swell(in fact there's no sign of them at all).

Smoke only works if there's just a few of them, on a bad day it does no good whatsoever. They're overwhelming.

Fancy toning the language down a touch Nico? There's young folk on this forum.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Ah yes the old aerosol and lighter trick. The only problem is I might end up turning it on myself to ease the pain. I know I sound like a wimp here and maybe I am but its only been in the last two years that the buggers have done more than just annoy me. The bites swell up immediatly and are there for the next day too. I even imagine they are there when they are not.

My girlfriend can sit beside me and not get bitten. She does get a good laugh out of seeing me turn into a crazy man, trying to kill all flying things around me while furiously scratching. Not a pretty sight I assure you.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
I had a black fly (about the size of a midge) bite me in Canada and lump went hard after much scratching a bit like a corn. I'm told they're called saroma's and removable. Moral of this tale don't scratch them.
The Canadians use a product called OFF that seems effective.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
My girlfriend can sit beside me and not get bitten. She does get a good laugh out of seeing me turn into a crazy man, trying to kill all flying things around me while furiously scratching. Not a pretty sight I assure you.

A lad I used to climb with sometimes didn't get bitten either. Everyone else would be fighting to lead(and get above the treeline into the breeze) and he'd just stoat about laughing at us all.

No repellents, vit B complex or any other anti-vampire treatments. They just didn't bite him. Nice enough guy, everyone hated him of course!:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE