Midge proofing the baby...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
Locum

I'm presuming when you say baby you mean baby, a year old or less? wouldn't that mean (s)he would be carried either by person or by perambulator (love that word), so like Mary says, beanie hat with midge net, maybe down to the waist so the hands are free inside or better still a cocoon, when carried. Pram, thats easy. And maybe a mini midge tent like the one someone made on sotp for camp, kinda act like a cot?

I aint no baby but I never had any luck with either bog myrtle or skin so soft, and to be frank the amount of the stuff you need to put on your skin, with babies sucking on everything in sight, I dont think I'd want to use any skin ointment.

Stephen

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Onse suggestion that is quite good is to make up a huge bag of midge net, so that diaper changes nursing, etc can happen in a midge free zone. Large enough to climp into with the baby and pull then end closed. Some other good suggestion in:

Rolf Kraiter and Debra Kraiter
Cradle to Canoe: Camping and Canoeing with Children
The Boston Mills Press (1999), Erin, Ontario

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
If camping where there are likely to be serious midgies we use our midge proof room
P8240040.jpg

Sanji

Forager
Oct 20, 2006
Oban, Scotland
If camping where there are likely to be serious midgies we use our midge proof room
P8240040.jpg

:yikes: lol they`ve been quarantined! As for midgies, i just grit my teeth and bare it! They don't see, to bother me much, though was one day up in Loch Nant, where all you can see in front of me was a midgie cloud :yikes:

exarkun

Jan 21, 2011
Lancaster
I hate midges! Had a particularly bad time with them when we stayed up by loch long, the summer before last.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE